PDA

View Full Version : Help with cooling mod!!

red04svtcobra
10-03-2007, 09:18 PM
I just got the evenflow head cooling mod in today and was wondering if anyone has attempted to put that pipe in the head without taking off the S/C. I was wanting to take the S/C off and clean the intercooler but decided that if I don't need to, I won't. I think I recall someone on here doing this (blueblazes maybe) and saying it wasn't that difficult. I place on tackling this and putting in the Fiore FW adjuster, quadrant, and freeplay spring. Thanks Chris

puzzle13
10-03-2007, 09:39 PM
I was told you have to drop the transmission and come at it from the back and below. All instructions with the one I had installed said to remove the transmission and install from behind and below. MM did mine ... other than that I don't believe you can do it from the top.

blueblazes
10-03-2007, 09:48 PM
thats the ldc cooling mod that you have to drop tranny.

The lfp you do it on the top of the head.

Yes I did it with my supercharger on. It was no fun thats for sure but I managed to do it. The hardest part is getting the new fitting to sit even in the freeze plug when hammering it in. I used a big socket. Also freeze the plug in some ice water for about hour before you attempt to put it in. It will make it shrink

Big T
10-05-2007, 07:09 PM
I did it when I had the supercharger off. It was a PITA to get that piece straight into the hole. I heard it can be done with the sc on but I think it would be difficult to see if the fitting is straight.

red04svtcobra
10-06-2007, 01:05 AM
well, here is the outcome. after some blood, sweat, and tears I got the cooling mod done. the bad news is I broke a lower intake bolt. so everything has to come back off. to make a long story short stay away from cheap torque wreches. also could someone verify these are the right torque specs. blower to intake 18 ftlbs, intake to head 15 ftlbs, and the intercooler thing on the front 8 ftlbs. I did everything as I was supposed to do but I torqued them and untorqed them at least 3 times each. should I replace all the gaskets this time or are the old ones good after doing so many times.

red04svtcobra
10-06-2007, 08:49 AM
It will be out of commission for at least a week now because Ford wont order til Monday and will take 3-4 days for the parts to come in.
How can I prevent this from happening again once my new bolts get here? Here is another reason maybe the bolt broke. See I didn't have the correct torque wrench, I had one that started at 30 and went to 150 ftlbs. I decided to turn the knob lower than what was on the dial but counted back as if that is where it would have been. I then decided to buy a elcheapo at autozone that had inch pounds and I think with that not reading correctly and me over torquing them it broke the bolt. Now should I replace both gaskets (metal one and the lower intake one) and all the bolts for the blower and intake? Also can someone give me the torque specs they use so I can see if mine are right? Thanks Chris
BTW I have lots of pics I took during all this and am going to get up a "how to" for future reference.

blueblazes
10-06-2007, 10:39 AM
the crude picture below shows the torque sequence for both the ten 10mm blower to intake bolts (the inner set of numbers) as well as the ten 10mm intake to cylinder head bolts (outer set of numbers). only bolt the blower to the intake at this time, as you will have to lift the blower/intake combo up in the air again to bolt the intercooler manifold in place.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9800/s35000035zf.jpg

these are the specs listed: blower to intake bolts
1st tighten to 2Nm (18 inch/lbs) INCH POUNDS!!!
2nd tighten to 25Nm (18 ft/lbs) FOOT POUNDS!!!! (I took an additional step between 2Nm and 25Nm, as this seemed like too large of a jump)
3rd tighten an additional 90 degrees---it worked out to about 25 ft/lbs

next use your buddy to lift the lower intake/blower combo up in the air slightly so you can bolt on the intercooler manifold--if you used 4 of the lower intake bolts to hold the lower intake in place while your blower was being ported, make sure to remove these now.
the intercooler manifold bolts (three 10mm and one 8mm) bolt on in the following torque sequence

1st tighten to 10Nm (89 inch/lbs) INCH POUNDS!!!
2nd tighten an additional 90 degrees

now its time to bolt the lower intake to the cylinder heads. refer to the last picture for the torque sequence.

i didn't see specific #'s for this step, to i just went with the following:
1st tighten them to 50 inch/lbs
2nd tighten them to 10 ft/lbs
lastly tighten them to 15 ft/lbs (i always go through one last time to make sure all bolts are at the final torque spec)

if you labeled all the nuts/bolts/sensors/etc. properly, the rest of the installation should be pretty straight-forward. please refer to the blower removal for any pics that you may need showing where certain things go. don't forget to add intercooler fluid to your car. i like to "jump" the intercooler pump before i start my car so that i can circulate all the intercooler fluid and add any if necessary. i'll post a pic soon showing how to jump the intercooler pump.

here are a few of the other torque specs: throttle cable bracket--two 10mm bolts tighten to 10Nm (89 inch/lbs), intake plenum nuts--four 13mm nuts tighten to 25Nm (18 ft/lbs), large EGR valve nut--one 27mm nut tighten to 35Nm (26 ft/lbs), and finally the fuel rail studs--four 10mm studs tighten to 10Nm (89 inch/lbs).

blueblazes
10-06-2007, 10:43 AM
sometimes the bolts break, First time i swapped my blower i broke 2 bolts. Will at mm worked on it to and broke 1 and he said he had never broken 1 before so sometimes they just let go. I bought new ones and put them on. I had good torque wrench and so did Will so nothing couldve helped it.

Only gaskets you should have to worry about replacing is the intercooler manifold gasket the one that is behind the 2 spouts that feed fluid to and from intercooler.
If your tb/plenum gaskets are bad then replace those. The supercharger to lower intake are metal so usually dont need to replace those. The lower intake to head gaskets are reusable use your best discretion on replacing those.

Brandon

red04svtcobra
10-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all that info Brandon. The day I was doing this svtperformance was changing web servers and couldn't get on at all. Some reason I still can't do a search, or at least this morning you couldn't. I wrote a thread over there and that same post was shown to me, I just wish I had that prior to, HAHAHA. The thing I don't like is how he doesn't know what the actual lower intake to head torque is. I guess I will go with 15 then.
Whats funny is I kinda knew something was going to happen sometime or another during the install, because NOTHING is ever easy for me and the install up to that point was pretty easy. I think I will get all the bolts and intercooler manifold gasket, EGR gasket (mine tore just a little, not bad); or can I use some silicone? Oh, and a new IAC because mine doesn't change the RPM at all if disconnected.

Big T
10-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Those bolts are made to only be used 1 time. I broke one when installing my whipple. When it breaks, all the tension is released and the bolt is just sitting in there. I took a flat head screwdriver and was able to rotate the bolt out without removing the blower. I was surprised at how easy it came out. I was not looking foreward to removing the blower.

red04svtcobra
10-07-2007, 01:53 AM
Those bolts are made to only be used 1 time. I broke one when installing my whipple. When it breaks, all the tension is released and the bolt is just sitting in there. I took a flat head screwdriver and was able to rotate the bolt out without removing the blower. I was surprised at how easy it came out. I was not looking foreward to removing the blower.thanks a lot. I was under the impression that the only ones you couldn't use were the intercooler bolts cause they are torque to yeild.

NO 5 OH
10-07-2007, 06:36 AM
I've re-used the lower intake bolts several times on my car during blower swaps... they aren't torque-to-yield like you would think they are. Brandon got the bolt sequences right... but the torque specs for the lower intake to heads is:

Step 1) 89 lb/in (that is inch pounds)
Step 2) an additional 90*

You need a good inch/pound wrench to do the sequence here. I use a Craftsman 3/8" drive and a universal 10mm socket comes in handy here too ;)

I've done this as said several times now and haven't had any issues... except the first time I did a blower swap I broke one bolt but haven't had any break since.

The best place to order factory service parts is from Steve @ Tousley Ford.

Shannon

red04svtcobra
10-07-2007, 08:37 AM
I've re-used the lower intake bolts several times on my car during blower swaps... they aren't torque-to-yield like you would think they are. Brandon got the bolt sequences right... but the torque specs for the lower intake to heads is:

Step 1) 89 lb/in (that is inch pounds)
Step 2) an additional 90*

You need a good inch/pound wrench to do the sequence here. I use a Craftsman 3/8" drive and a universal 10mm socket comes in handy here too ;)

I've done this as said several times now and haven't had any issues... except the first time I did a blower swap I broke one bolt but haven't had any break since.

The best place to order factory service parts is from Steve @ Tousley Ford.

ShannonThanks, and BTW where did you find these torque specs at, I can't find them anywhere. Also do you have a # I can call Steve at, I need to order this stuff Monday morning ASAP!!!

Big T
10-07-2007, 03:58 PM
I've only done one removal, but when mine broke I did some research and many guys have broken these bolts. I assumed they were torque to yield because of how easy it broke. I just went and got some new ones from ford. They are not cheap. I think I paid $45. Did you try the screwdriver?

red04svtcobra
10-07-2007, 04:24 PM
I know I can get it out because it is sticking out of the head a little. I haven'tt ried yet because I have been working all weekend. I will try and find his # and call him up and see if he can get me these bolts.

Cobra4me
10-07-2007, 05:43 PM
tousley ford numbers 800-792-1050/ 651-484-7231

blueblazes
10-07-2007, 07:28 PM
sorry thought i copied all that you needed for the specs. The forum limits how big your posts can be so i tried to grab the important stuff. Hope it all works out well for you.

Brandon

red04svtcobra
10-07-2007, 09:47 PM
thanks Robbie I will call him monday. Brandon, that's ok I got everything I needed from thaat post. I will do this once again when I get the bolts.