PDA

View Full Version : Springs

Maxxb0y
10-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Hey guys, I am lookingto get springs, shocks and strutts for my 96 cobra. I just got some Nitto 555r Drag radials for the car and the fender well is about 4 inches away in the front and 3.5 in the back. I was wondering what amount of drop should I go with? The local performance store that I go the tires from suggested only 1.5 inches all around. Does any one have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Maxx

Lumpydogs
10-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Yes 1.25 to 1.5" drop looks real good. I dropped my '01 Cobra approximately 1.25" with the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs. They are progressive springs that lower the car and give you a tighter ride without being harsh because they are progressive. Under extreme (track) .9g+ braking you could get a real slight rub of tire to fender lip. The Eibachs were a great compromise between street driving and open track (road course) days.

I hope this helped. I'll try to dig up some pics and PM them to you.

< PM Sent > :D

Maxxb0y
10-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Hey guys I just ordered these for my 96...Tokico HB3140 front STRUTS , and HE3723 rear and EIBACH SPORTLINE SPRINGS FOR 94-98 2.0 f/1.8 r. I cant wait to get them on.I should get them by next weekend. I ll post pics once they are installed. Maxx

billystick
10-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Yes 1.25 to 1.5" drop looks real good. I dropped my '01 Cobra approximately 1.25" with the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs. They are progressive springs that lower the car and give you a tighter ride without being harsh because they are progressive. Under extreme (track) .9g+ braking you could get a real slight rub of tire to fender lip. The Eibachs were a great compromise between street driving and open track (road course) days.

I hope this helped. I'll try to dig up some pics and PM them to you.

< PM Sent > :DI have the same springs and dropped it an 1" in the front, 1.5" in the back...looks great and the ride is fantastic!

ProfChaos
11-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Hey guys, I am lookingto get springs, shocks and strutts for my 96 cobra. I just got some Nitto 555r Drag radials for the car and the fender well is about 4 inches away in the front and 3.5 in the back. I was wondering what amount of drop should I go with? The local performance store that I go the tires from suggested only 1.5 inches all around. Does any one have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Maxx

I agree that it is not a good idea to go lower than 1.5" of drop, if you are going to be driving on the street. I have the Eibach (http://eibach.com) Pro Kit, street-rated with 1.5" of drop, and I find that I have to continually remain very cautious at speed bumps and uneven pavement/steep parking lot entrances. If my car were even 1/2-inch lower, I probably would have already completely horked my $2000 exhaust system: More specifically, I have already knocked the header collectors loose after several uncomfortable scrapes with uneven pavement and speed bumps.

In addition to the Eibach Pro Kit street-rated springs, I highly recommend Tokico Illumina Five-Way Adjustable Gas Shocks (http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/TokicoGasShocks/products/illumina/index.html) and Steeda Tubular Weld-In Alloy Subframe Connectors (http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_subframe_connectors.php).

The combination of these three suspension mods will make your Cobra seem like an entirely different snake.

cheers,
--Professor Chaos