PDA

View Full Version : Ford needs better updated info!!!!

red04svtcobra
10-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Well, today I had no luck in getting the lower intake bolts ordered!!!!!!!! I tried ordering the stuff Fri. because I knew they had to order them from Ford, go figure the dealership doesn't have bolts or gaskets in stock. They tell me I need to order Monday, so I go in today and the guy behind the desk prints me out one of there parts diagram sheets that has part #'s on them and tell him I need 10 of the blower/intake bolts and 10 of the intake/head bolts. The diagram he gave me doesn't have pics of the bolts for the lower intake of part # only the blower/intake bolts which says they are HB1 (W704682S437) 6mm bolts. I tell him that is wrong because they are 8mm and not the 6mm which are for the lower intake to head. He calls FORD up and they tell him they are the SAME size bolt!!!!!!!!!! I tell him that they are wrong and they are different and if I needed to I could bring them up to him. I decided to call Steve at Tousley Ford and he was very helpful and he told me that the part # I had for the lower intake bolts were actually for the blower and that the intake bolts were part # W704682S437 6mm and the blower ones were part #W704749S427 8mm bolts.
Not only was that wrong but the sheet the dealer gave me on the torque specs for all this was totally wrong too. The sheet says that the intake bolts are torqued to, GET THIS, 89FTLBS!!! This is how I broke the bolt to begin with. It is supposed to be 89 inchlbs. The other thing wrong on it is the intercooler manifold torques. It says 89ftlbs and is supposed to be 89 inchlbs. I guess this is why my gasket to that is no good anymore.
I will need to place my lower intake bolts, maybe the gasket too, blower bolts, EGR gasket, intercooler gasket and bolts (bolts are $18 EACH) I need 4!!!!!!! I am debating if I should replace the intake gaskets or not, don't know if they were damaged or not. I am so pissed at Ford right now for not revising there spec sheets and making sure that the dealers have the correct info to give out to customers if needed. They failed me so I asked here and svtperformance and have come up with the correct specs for the job.
This will cost me close to $200 for all this plus I ended up getting me 2 torque wrenches (inch lbs and ft lbs) from Sears today and that run me close to $200 too. So needless to say a $130 job turned into a $550 job!!
I took lots of pics while doing the install to help others out and will post them up when I am done. Sorry but I had to vent!!

mrpork
10-08-2007, 09:30 PM
but the job will be done right. did you get your new rims yet.:thumbsup:

blk04cobra1
10-08-2007, 10:10 PM
sorry to see it's giving you such a hard time...torque specs or not, most of those are on a "feel" basis for tightening...just look at the bright side, you'll have all new hardware :thumbsup:

blueblazes
10-08-2007, 11:00 PM
yeah in all honesty when I put the whipple on there was no getting a torque wrench on some of those bolts so they were done to hand tight specs:thumbsup: Just turn them till their tight and hit them 1/4turn more and you should be good. Let car warm up and turn it off and go over them and retorque

red04svtcobra
10-09-2007, 07:43 AM
I was mostly pissed that they had the wrong torque spec they gave me and that inturn broke my bolt. It's all good though, I was just upset is all. I have never used a torque wrench on anything, but I heard that I needed to make sure I had one for this job because the bolts are very easy to break!!!! The good thing is now I have a clean intercooler, new hardware, and 2 new torque wrenches. :thumbsup: I tried telling the G/F that this is a great time to upgrade to my whipple I've always wanted and she just laughed at me!! HAHAHA maybe next time she said. Can you say "YEAH BABY"?:bounce:
mrpork, I still haven't got the rims yet, the guy who was going to sell me his has to decided to wait it out longer and see if he can selll them with the cobra. I was going to place my order this week for them along with the tires but I will wait and see if that guy calls me. I would rather pay $1000 for new tires and rims and wait for awhile than to pay $1800 and have them in 1 week.

puzzle13
10-09-2007, 06:09 PM
You need to order from someone else! I went to Crossroads Ford in Cary to order the 10 bolts to hold supercharger to the intake and the list was $4.15, but they sold them to me for $2.30 each. Had them in a day ... we will see if they are the right ones as they are the 6mm bolts (HB1) that you listed as not being correct. That is what the diagram said and that is what I ordered. We shall see.

Well, today I had no luck in getting the lower intake bolts ordered!!!!!!!! I tried ordering the stuff Fri. because I knew they had to order them from Ford, go figure the dealership doesn't have bolts or gaskets in stock. They tell me I need to order Monday, so I go in today and the guy behind the desk prints me out one of there parts diagram sheets that has part #'s on them and tell him I need 10 of the blower/intake bolts and 10 of the intake/head bolts. The diagram he gave me doesn't have pics of the bolts for the lower intake of part # only the blower/intake bolts which says they are HB1 (W704682S437) 6mm bolts. I tell him that is wrong because they are 8mm and not the 6mm which are for the lower intake to head. He calls FORD up and they tell him they are the SAME size bolt!!!!!!!!!! I tell him that they are wrong and they are different and if I needed to I could bring them up to him. I decided to call Steve at Tousley Ford and he was very helpful and he told me that the part # I had for the lower intake bolts were actually for the blower and that the intake bolts were part # W704682S437 6mm and the blower ones were part #W704749S427 8mm bolts.
Not only was that wrong but the sheet the dealer gave me on the torque specs for all this was totally wrong too. The sheet says that the intake bolts are torqued to, GET THIS, 89FTLBS!!! This is how I broke the bolt to begin with. It is supposed to be 89 inchlbs. The other thing wrong on it is the intercooler manifold torques. It says 89ftlbs and is supposed to be 89 inchlbs. I guess this is why my gasket to that is no good anymore.
I will need to place my lower intake bolts, maybe the gasket too, blower bolts, EGR gasket, intercooler gasket and bolts (bolts are $18 EACH) I need 4!!!!!!! I am debating if I should replace the intake gaskets or not, don't know if they were damaged or not. I am so pissed at Ford right now for not revising there spec sheets and making sure that the dealers have the correct info to give out to customers if needed. They failed me so I asked here and svtperformance and have come up with the correct specs for the job.
This will cost me close to $200 for all this plus I ended up getting me 2 torque wrenches (inch lbs and ft lbs) from Sears today and that run me close to $200 too. So needless to say a $130 job turned into a $550 job!!
I took lots of pics while doing the install to help others out and will post them up when I am done. Sorry but I had to vent!!

red04svtcobra
10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
You need to order from someone else! I went to Crossroads Ford in Cary to order the 10 bolts to hold supercharger to the intake and the list was $4.15, but they sold them to me for $2.30 each. Had them in a day ... we will see if they are the right ones as they are the 6mm bolts (HB1) that you listed as not being correct. That is what the diagram said and that is what I ordered. We shall see.The 6mm bolts are for the intake to head. The 8mm ones are for the blower to intake. They both are considered HB1's just that one is an 8 and the other a 6. If you have the same sheet as me then they will be the wrong ones. The ones for the blower to intake have a wide base at the head of the bolt, almost like a washer made onto the bolt head, and the lower intake to head ones are skinny and have a washer built onto the bolt, it is an actual washer that will spin but won't come off. The reason I paid so much is because they come in a pack of 4 and had to buy 3 packs. I paid $2.32 per bolt X 12 for the 6mm ones and $2.14 per bolt for the 8mm ones, and $1.84 per bolt for the intercooler bolts, $47 for intake gaskets, and some other misc gaskets I am going to replace. The price I paid out the door was $148 for everything and should be here in a couple of days!!!

puzzle13
10-10-2007, 06:19 PM
You were right ... the bolts that came in were the 6mm ones. They reordered the 8mm ones for me at the same cost.

red04svtcobra
10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I would hold onto those 6mm ones because you will want to replace them most definitely when doing a swap because they are very weak bolts.

puzzle13
10-11-2007, 06:14 PM
I did not keep them, as they are not needed to swap the blower if I understand things correctly. All I need are the 10 - 8mm bolts. I am going to try the ones Whipple supplies, but I still have the old ones, and they are in good shape (15k on engine), and also the new ones.

Thanks

red04svtcobra
10-12-2007, 01:24 AM
To change blowers you will need to remove the lower intake bolts because the intercooler connects to the intercooler manifold through the lower manifold. You will need to raise the intake and blower up as one unit to access the intercooler manifold bolts and remove it so the blower can be removed. I could be wrong but this is how I see it, as this is what I had to to remove my blower.

puzzle13
10-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Yep, intake had to come off, but no broken bolts. Just being careful and using a good torque wrench.

red04svtcobra
10-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Thats good, the broken bolts come when putting them on and remember it only takes 89 inch pounds!!!!! Be very careful and if it feels like it is not wanting to tighten then stop and take them back out before you break on off then all of it has to come back off to get the bolt out. Good luck!!!