PDA

View Full Version : clutch question

racinjason89
10-18-2007, 04:03 PM
It seems a centerforce df clutch won't hold 600 rwhp. Anyone have and suggestions as to which clutch to get? I'd like to try and keep as much drivability as possible.

blueblazes
10-19-2007, 12:22 AM
well i just got a dfx so im breaking it in atm but its supposed to hold upto some good abuse. Theres also spec 3. Both of these clutches are either on or off no inbetween. When i was shopping around for clutches i was told the spec 3 would hold more but was a bit more difficult to drive than the dfx.

red04svtcobra
10-19-2007, 12:55 AM
I was going to say the same thing, either a spec3 or spec3+.

racinjason89
10-19-2007, 07:17 AM
Yeah, I drove my friends spec3+ cobra the other day. I wasn't crazy about the chatter. Blueblazes, does your DFX chatter?

red04svtcobra
10-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Alot of people go with the steel flywheel instead of the aluminum FW, and that helps out the chatter tramendously they say. I can't recall if Brandon had chatter with his DFX of not.

blueblazes
10-20-2007, 03:36 AM
i havent really noticed any substantial chatter with mine. Im using adjustable cable, fiore firewall adjuster, reichard racing quadrant

Also im using a fidanza aluminum flywheel its definately a stiff pedal thats for sure. Im still breaking it in so havent had it back on dyno yet to check tune for it and the new fuel hat. Ill post some updates when I do.

blk04cobra1
10-20-2007, 08:56 AM
I ran the RAM Powergrip HD (Findanza aluminum flywheel) for a couple thousand miles in mine when it had the stock motor and 750rwhp with no issues...there was some slight chatter, but once you got used to the clutch you could manuveur around the chatter...running a Spec 5 in there now b/c of the added power, it's a little squeaky, but that's what I get for having an iron clutch.

scrmngdave
10-21-2007, 08:31 AM
We usually see chatter issues with the Spec st3/3+ clutches with or with out aluminum flywheel. Super tough clutches, but you do have to live with a little chatter. The CenterForce clutch will hold well over 600rwhp installed and set up correctly. Use the normal CenterForce Pressure plate that's been around forever, and use the New LM Series Clutch Disc. The DFX Clutch disc doesn't usually chater, but it's uforgiving in traffic, it's in, or it's out. There's little to no slip, and that's a pain when you only want to move a little. The New LM series disc gives you the same power ability as the DFX, but alot smoother operation and engagement on the street. Only other choice above that is to step up to a Twin Disc. Hope this helps,
Dave

racinjason89
10-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks. That helps alot. Do you really think the LM will hold the HP though? I do have a true 600 rwhp on a mustang dyno.

scrmngdave
10-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks. That helps alot. Do you really think the LM will hold the HP though? I do have a true 600 rwhp on a mustang dyno.
It'll hold, as long as the clutch gets broken in, and the adjustment is correct on the cable. Alot of guys love using firewall adjusters, I recommend against it to my customers. A good clutch can be wiped out due to improper adjustment, and once the clutch is broken and final adjustment is made, you shouldn't have to adjust it again. We have several Cobras out there including my own, which range anywhere from 600rwhp to 750rwhp, and the clutches hold up well. Now, again, it is a good combination for a car that sees more street duty than race, but if it is going to see more race than street, then I would recommend stepping up to a twin-disc.
Dave