PDA

View Full Version : Priceless TWS weekend....

93KingCobra
10-21-2007, 06:04 PM
This had to be the best TWS experience for everyone involved...

Let me explain.....

One blown motor.........$5,000-10,000

One transmission on the tow vehicle......$2,000

One burnt clutch........$500-1,000

One broken throttle body......$450

One rear ended Daily driver on the way to the track........?????

Having the best time with my other family..................Priceless

SuperG
10-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Oh boy...can't wait to hear this!

Mrs TwiceBitten
10-21-2007, 08:42 PM
:rotf: :doubt: That's just wrong...this sig is officially in effect again.

97CasperCobra
10-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Bwahahahhahahaha :lol: :rotf:

Should I add....

Having the oldest(highest mileage too!!!) Cobra there and still able to drive it home......PRICELESS :p

Thanks to everyone who went....this was truely one of the best weekend I've ever had in my life. Not only did I have the dirtiest Cobra there, I want to go out and do it again!!! I can not WAIT till MSR....and to be on some REAL tires!!!!!

And I only thought that "Track is Crack" was only a phrase..... :rolleyes:

Thanks again to everyone there.....my "other" family. :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
10-21-2007, 09:42 PM

Let me explain.....

One rear ended Daily driver on the way to the track........????? I did not know about This one???? :eek:

I am so sorry about everyones misfortunes... :(

I gotta tell you though..

This track event was the most fun I have had yet!!! :bounce:

Even though I corded 4 used Kumho 700s.... I had extras so I had them mounted up and kept on running. :p

The car has never felt more planted.... I absolutely loved chasing (the dice was the really fun part for me) and eventually getting faster than a couple very fast Porsche Cayman S cars(these cars are SICK!!!) with drivers who were quite good.. and really cool guys too.

I never went into limp mode even though I pegged my add on gauge at 250F twice.(I need to move the sender)

It was really great having so many of my Cobra buddies there for moral support and assistance.

I finally got to run with Carl and then Sam in yellow group... and WOW we had a blast!!!
Sam apparently knows the track quite well and I thought I could pick up a little insight from following him around... and he agreed to set it up!

What I found out was.... there were very few things that he was doing differently than I was. It was a real confidence builder to see him go through corners THAT HOT with a Bone stock Terminator + R compound tires!!!

It seems I had some of my best laps when I had someone fast to chase to enhance my focus!!!

Apparently he was able to come up with some lap times and he said he was running about a 2:05... I'm thinking that's pretty good for intermediate... also judging by how freaking GREAT IT FELT!!!
Since I was right on his bumper during the "learning session" I would have to assume I was running right about that time too... Does that sound like a semi-respectable time for the third day ever at TWS???

Guys that experienced difficulties this weekend with Ford products please let me know if I can assist you in any way!!
I will do my best to try and help you get stuff resolved as painlessly as possible.

Edmond... The more I think about your issue the more I am beginning to think that the block was not cleaned out well enough prior to your recent rebuild.
A small amount of metal can stay lodged in an oil passage for a very long time... and suddenly come loose and circulate... When it does bad things happen!
I was always taught anytime there is a rebuild involving an engine that has been "metal-ed"...

It's time to get the gun cleaning kit out... remove all the oil passage access plugs... and use HOT SOAPY WATER!!!... not solvents... and scrub a dub dub! to every orifice and passage.

MAJOR Thanks go out to everyone for all the help... Stan, Larry, Edmond, Phil, Plus special thanks to Carl, Dave and Sam for all the great advice and encouragement!!!!

I am now going to bed since I am completely SPENT!!!

03 cobra toy
10-21-2007, 09:48 PM
:D $$$$ :( Good night !!

SuperG
10-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Please tell me Edmond´s engine is not toast!!!! And who got rear ended?

Mrs TwiceBitten
10-21-2007, 10:25 PM
And who got rear ended?
Here he is at his favorite pastime!:D

Twice Bitten
10-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Having the oldest(highest mileage too!!!) Cobra there and still able to drive it home......

How many miles do you have on that engine :dunno: ? I could of sworn the engine was replaced not that long ago!!!!!!! :p

I thought the Porche guy was giving a point buy, but instead he threw a voodoo hex on the R as I blew by him :mad:

hi ofcr cobra
10-21-2007, 11:28 PM
What's up! That may have been some of the most fun I've had at TWS ever... and I only drove in 4 of my 8 sessions (d*mn you plastic coolant resevoir!).

It would have only been 2 sessions, but EDMOND IS AWESOME and loaned me his coolant resv so I could complete the last 2 runs of the day. THANK YOU EDMOND!!!!

Canton Tank is OTW.

Jimmy, you were pulling 2:05's easy... dial in that new camber and tires and I'll be chasing you around the track.:thumbsup: Make sure to avoid the spinning, dirt throwing Porsches! :shtowned:

I should be uploading some pics and vids from this weekend soon.

I want to thank everyone for the good advice and great conversation, you guys are the most helpful group I've ever met!!!

Speaking of advice... i could use some: I noticed a big drop in power those last 2 sessions. I first thought it may just be heat soaked air but I noticed it during the warm up lap and my engine hadnt even hit normal operating temp. I've run this car on-track many times (in much hotter weather) and never experienced this... any ideas? Also, I checked when I got home and I threw a P1000 DTC code (monitor test not complete). I've read a P1000 code is no big deal and to clear it by driving 8 miles under 50mph, I've also read it means an O2 sensor it out... any input? Could this code put me into some sort of half-limp mode that would draw power?

Thanks again guys! And thanks for putting up with my camaro friend (Will), he left with 120mph cone mark and a broken rear end... so it wasnt just the cobra's that limped home.:p

-Sam (29 Black Cobra... the one with the giant coolant puddle under it)

SuperG
10-22-2007, 07:20 AM
What's up! That may have been some of the most fun I've had at TWS ever... and I only drove in 4 of my 8 sessions (d*mn you plastic coolant resevoir!)....
-Sam (29 Black Cobra... the one with the giant coolant puddle under it)
Sam, glad to see you got to hang with the Cobra guys and glad they got to meet you!

Sounds like almost everyone had a good time!

Larry95
10-22-2007, 12:49 PM
O.K. what's going on. Someone post up what happened.

97CasperCobra
10-22-2007, 02:00 PM
This should help to figure out what happened this weekend:One blown motor.........$5,000-10,000 Edmond

One transmission on the tow vehicle......$2,000 David

One burnt clutch........$500-1,000 Larry

One broken throttle body......$450 Carl

One rear ended Daily driver on the way to the track........????? Phil

Levi
10-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I had a really great time hanging out with y'all and I didn't even have my car at the event. :eek: :doubt: :)

97CasperCobra
10-22-2007, 09:44 PM
I had a really great time hanging out with y'all and I didn't even have my car at the event. :eek: :doubt: :)
MSR is gonna be one HELL of an event!!! I want YOU for my instructor!!!! :thumbsup:

Levi
10-23-2007, 01:13 PM
MSR is gonna be one HELL of an event!!! I want YOU for my instructor!!!! :thumbsup:

:bounce: :thumbsup:

Twice Bitten
10-23-2007, 01:39 PM
:bounce: :thumbsup:

I want to be moved into Mikeys run group! :D

97CasperCobra
10-23-2007, 02:07 PM
I want to be moved into Mikeys run group! :D

:thumbdwn:.....I might have to use my Jedi mind tricks on you. :doubt:

You have to have a car that is DRIVEABLE to do that.....and I don't think you can do a clutch on the R the night before. :p

JoeJ
10-23-2007, 02:08 PM
What a great weekend. The weather was so nice and I had a blast running on the track. I ran in the white group and everyone was really nice with point-bys. There was a couple of Twin Turbo Porsches who was really fast. I could stay with them in the turns but my my they would blast away from me on the straights.
I had a front wheel hub assembly go bad so I sat out the last two runs on Sunday. If I would have just jacked up the front end I could have changed it out and continued running.
It was great to see everyone and I am looking forward to event in November at HMSR. :thumbsup:

Levi
10-23-2007, 11:40 PM
What a great weekend. The weather was so nice and I had a blast running on the track. I ran in the white group and everyone was really nice with point-bys. There was a couple of Twin Turbo Porsches who was really fast. I could stay with them in the turns but my my they would blast away from me on the straights.
I had a front wheel hub assembly go bad so I sat out the last two runs on Sunday. If I would have just jacked up the front end I could have changed it out and continued running.
It was great to see everyone and I am looking forward to event in November at HMSR. :thumbsup:

It was really nice to see you again and it's the first time I got to see you on track with that sweet looking cup car. :thumbsup:

Carl G
10-31-2007, 08:58 PM

Let me explain.....

Throttle Body repaired and back on car :thumbsup: Come on MSR :D

jimmysidecarr
11-01-2007, 10:23 PM

Yay!!! :bounce: :headbang: :fordflag:

Firme
11-03-2007, 01:13 PM

Engine repaired and still in the car :thumbsup: Come on MSR :D

jimmysidecarr
11-03-2007, 06:33 PM

Yay again!!!! :thumbsup: :bounce: :headbang: :fordflag:

97CasperCobra
11-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Will be doing some "work" tomorrow and ordering some more "goodies" on Monday.... mwahahahaha...:firedevil

Twice Bitten
11-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Another one ready for the track :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
11-04-2007, 12:21 AM
Another one ready for the track :thumbsup:

YAY YET AGAIN!!!! :thumbsup: :bounce: :headbang: :fordflag:

Got the pic Larry.. :thumbsup: I was really hoping you'd "get er done" in time...

It's going to be a rockin fun time!!! :headbang:

97CasperCobra
11-04-2007, 01:43 AM
forgot to mention....

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/173/169/204770.jpg

03 cobra toy
11-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Tow truck fixed... New trans, new HD radiator and HD trans cooler :D

Car is all done... New PF97 pads on the back and fresh brake fluid :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
11-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Let me explain.....

One blown motor.........$5,000-10,000 :edmond:(fixed)

One transmission on the tow vehicle......$2,000 (fixed)

One burnt clutch........$500-1,000 (fixed)

One broken throttle body......$450 (fixed)

Looks like everyone except Phil has posted up that they are fixed up...

I hope Y'all got some tires with a little tread left on them... It's only a 30% chance of T storms but... you know how that goes.... :rolleyes: :doubt:

Unless they RED flag the event I'm going to run.... come hell or.... Hmmm high water could be a problem... ;)

JoeJ
11-05-2007, 11:17 PM
I will be down at HMSR on Friday with Bob Hahn. We will be testing a few suspension changes on the Cup Car. Hopefully it will handle a bit better. Looking forrward to the event. We should have a blast.

I got word today that Dean Martin will not be able to attend as he will be getting ready to do some testing on his Grand AM cars at a local track.

ORANGE CRUSH
11-06-2007, 12:25 AM

What did you pour in it to fix it? :doubt:

SuperG
11-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Tow truck fixed... New trans, new HD radiator and HD trans cooler :D

Car is all done... New PF97 pads on the back and fresh brake fluid :thumbsup:Speaking of brake fluid, what are you guys using?

Firme
11-06-2007, 07:48 AM
Speaking of brake fluid, what are you guys using?

Motul 600

jimmysidecarr
11-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Speaking of brake fluid, what are you guys using?

I'm using Ford PM 1 C when I'm between track events...

For track I use Super Blue by Ate...

http://www.raceshopper.com/ate_brake_fluid.shtml

ATEŽ Super Blue (DOT 4) has a dry boiling point of 536F and a wet boiling point of 396F. ATE Super Blue is identical in specification to the ATE TYP 200 brake fluid.
ATE Super Blue is compatible and will mix with most DOT3, DOT4, or DOT 5.1 Fluids.

Firme
11-06-2007, 03:10 PM
I went from Ford to ATE to Motul back to ATE (because there was some that was availabe on the spot). I did not like the ATE pedal feel at all after having used Motul. I am now back to Motul and very happy with it.

jimmysidecarr
11-06-2007, 03:26 PM
I went from Ford to ATE to Motul back to ATE (because there was some that was available on the spot). I did not like the ATE pedal feel at all after having used Motul. I am now back to Motul and very happy with it.

I'm having a little trouble figuring out how ATE and Motul had different pedal feels.... :doubt: Unless one installation involved some air and one did not... :scratch:

I know I'm just an old gear head.... but....
Both those fluids are incompressable...therefore they should have the same feel unless one boiled and introduced gas bubbles or the initial bleed was flawed. The Motul has a higher boil point... and is a better fluid. But if the ATE felt smooshy right from the get go... It had to be air somewhere that didn't get purged.

The ATE is not like the Silicone fluids at all... it will feel just like the Motul or any other DOT 3 or DOT 4 ....but not be able to take as high a temp as the Motul 600.

536F DRY.... ain't bad for the money though. It's been working for me... but I'm slow... :p :D

Firme
11-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Let me reiterate. At time of flush both feel the same, it was after use that ATE seemed to degrade where as the Motul stays very very consistent between flushes.

The price of Motul and ATE is very comparable. I realize they seem similar on paper, I am just sharing my personal first hand perception of both.