PDA

View Full Version : Official Registration for the SCMC HPDE @ CMP March 8-9, 2008

Hazman
10-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Join the SCMC for some on track fun at Carolina Motorsports Park. The event is a school with in car instruction where you can drive your car the way it was built to be driven. The event is limited to the first 75 students/drivers.

Registration for this event is OPEN.

Please be sure to download both the registration form and the events packet. The registration form is in adobe and MS Word in case you do not have the updated version of Adobe Acrobat.

You can pay on line in the store at www.scmcstore.com (http://www.scmcstore.com/) or mail your entry form and check made to "SCMC" to the following address:

SCMC - Carolina Motorsports Park
C/O Tony Sorrentino
P.O. Box 37376
Rock Hill, SC 29732

Lodging

The host hotel is the Jamison Inn, Lancaster, SC. Price is $63.99 a night and we have a block of 40 rooms. When making reservations, please mention "SVT Cobra Club" so you can get the negotiated rate. You can call them at <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = SKYPE /><SKYPE:SPAN onmouseup="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,1,'2',true,'');return skype_tb_stopEvents();" class=skype_tb_injection onmousedown="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,2,'2',true,'');return skype_tb_stopEvents();" id=softomate_highlight_2 onmouseover="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,1,'2',true,'');" title="Call this phone number in United States of America with Skype: +18032831188" onclick="javascript:doRunCMD('call','2',null,0);return skype_tb_stopEvents();" onmouseout="javascript:skype_tb_imgOnOff(this,0,'2',true,'');" IamRTL="0" context="803.283.1188" durex="524"><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_nop></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN onmouseup="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'2',1,1);return skype_tb_stopEvents();" class=skype_tb_imgA_flex onmousedown="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'2',2,1);return skype_tb_stopEvents();" id=skype_tb_droppart_2 onmouseover="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'2',1,1);" title="Skype actions" style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(C:\DOCUME~1\RICKMC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache\e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506\stati c\inactive_a.modern.flex.gif)" onclick="javascript:skype_tb_SwitchDrop(this,'2','sms=0',true);return skype_tb_stopEvents();" onmouseout="javascript:doSkypeFlag(this,'2',0,1);"><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_nop></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_imgFlag id=skype_tb_img_f2 style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(C:\DOCUME~1\RICKMC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache\e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506\stati c\famfamfam/US.gif)"></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_nop></SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_imgS id=skype_tb_img_s2 style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(C:\DOCUME~1\RICKMC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache\e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506\stati c\inactive_s.modern.gif)"></SKYPE:SPAN><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_injectionIn id=skype_tb_text2 style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(C:\DOCUME~1\RICKMC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\__SkypeIEToolbar_Cache\e70d95847a8f5723cfca6b3fd9946506\stati c\inactive_m.modern.gif)"><SKYPE:SPAN class=skype_tb_innerText id=skype_tb_innerText2>803.283.1188</SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN></SKYPE:SPAN>.

There will be camping at the facility but you will have to pay a camping fee of $25.00 for the weekend. You will pay the track direct instead of paying the club for Friday/Saturday.

Event Organizers/Registration:

Tony Sorrentino - Registration - 1994 Rio Red SVT Cobra Coupe
Jeff Finkelstein - Logistics - 1994 Black SVT Cobra Coupe

Tech Inspectors:

Burke Dawson - 1997 Rio Red SVT Cobra Coupe

Instructors: (Passing allowed in all areas of the track with point by)

Garry Talbert (Lead Instructor) - 2004 Torch Red SVT Cobra Coupe
Rick McNutt - 2004 Machine Silver Corvette Z06
Samuel Staggs - 1998 Laser Red SVT Cobra Coupe
Shawn Huffman - 1990 White Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Jerry Digges - 1990 Red Corvette Coupe
Butch Ivie - 1990 Green Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Rex Lantz - 2000 Yellow SCCA Racer SRF
Chris Retz - 2006 Midnight Blue Porsche Carrera S
Tony Bailey - No Car just passion!
Bobby Byrd - 1994 Green Mustang GT Coupe (Group A)
Peter Calvert - 2005 Silver Corvette Coupe (Group A)
Woodard Jackson - 2007 White Mustang FR500C Coupe (Group A)
James Lanier - 1996 Laser Red SVT Cobra Coupe

Paid Participants:

Group B (Passing allowed in all areas of the track with point by)

Mark Sulimirski - 1994 Black Impala SS
Michael Harrison - 2006 Midnight Blue Porsche Carrera S
Dennis McCrary - 1998 Black SVT Cobra Convertible
Herb Smith - 1965 Blue Superformance Cobra
Doug Smith - 1965 Yellow Superformance Cobra
Burke Dawson - 1997 Rio Red SVT Cobra Coupe
Mike Smith - 2003 Silver SVT Cobra Convertible
Vernon Banks - 2007 White/Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe
Pat Smith - 2002 Silver Corvette Z06 Coupe
Jason Smith - 1998 Black SVT Cobra Coupe
Stacy King - 1987 White BMW 325i Coupe
Allen Barksdale - 2006 Red Mini Cooper Coupe

Group C (Passing Only in 3 designated areas of the track with point by)

Jay McArdle - 1965 White & Blue AC Cobra Convertible
Tony Sorrentino - 1994 Rio Red SVT Cobra Coupe
Jeff Finkelstein - 1994 Black SVT Cobra Coupe
Ed Erdy - 1966 Black Mustang Fastback
Jason Swenk - 1966 Silver Mustang Coupe
Debbie Lantz - 2006 Silver Corvette Coupe
Anthony Spinicci - 1995 Gray Mustang GT Coupe
Chris Sargeant - 1993 Black Mustang 5.0 GT Hatchback
Tom Griffin - 2003 DSG SVT Cobra Coupe
Mark Porter - 2007 White/Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe
Kirby Winters - 1990 Black Honda CRX
Thomas Bramblett - 1997 Crystal White SVT Cobra Coupe
Brett Marshall - 2002 Yellow Z06 Corvette Coupe
Alex Reznikov - 2008 Orange Porsche Boxter Coupe

Group D (Passing Only in 3 designated areas of the track with point by)

Barb McArdle - 1965 Silver AC Cobra Coupe
Mike Barnes - 1993 Reef Blue Mustang 5.0 LX Coupe
Gregory Weekes - 1994 Moss Green Mustang GT Coupe
Mark Aeppli - 1995 White SVT Cobra R Coupe
Mike Smith - 2004 Black SVT Cobra Coupe
Sylvia Lanier - 1996 Laser Red SVT Cobra Coupe
Mike Hipskind - 1998 BASF Extreme SVT Cobra Convertible
Deborah Beckett - 2007 Midnight Blue Porsche Cayman
Spencer Griffin - 2004 Silver SVT Focus Coupe
Ronnie Stokes - 2008 Black Corvette Z06 Coupe -
Steve Wilhelm - 1990 Performance Red Mustang 5.0 LX Hatchback

Event Shirt Layout below! :thumbsup:

Z06xr
12-12-2007, 07:19 PM
It's going to be fun to run with you guys again at CMP. I'll see if I can bring along some of the local Vette folks too.

The track is under new management this year and they are making some badly needed improvements. The new timing and scoring/classroom bldg is finished and they are going to pave the roads in the paddock area. Also starting in December the track itself is being reconfigured a little. Turns 12, 13, and 14 are going to be softend up some. It will not be as hard on the brakes as it was in the past. The new managers are also racers so they know what is needed to make this track better than ever. More to come!

Which car will you be bringing this year Tony? Perhaps we'll have a little fun.....

Pat

cobrabitn
12-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Pat,

I'm still working on my 94 so I'll be bringing it. I didn't get to run it last year because of the brake issue but it'll be ready for 2008. Craig said they are going to go straight from turn 8 to turn 12 which will eliminate the "kink" and will be the longest stretch on the track. With the softening up of 12, 13, and 14, it's going to be some high speed fun! I can't wait to see it all finished!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

brkntrxn
12-18-2007, 02:52 PM
How many sessions are typical at the CMP event and how is it organized?

Kevin

cobrabitn
12-18-2007, 11:02 PM
You won't be hurting for track time at our events. By the middle of Sunday afternoon, you'll be begging to go home from exhaustion. Four run groups, 30 minute sessions, four sessions a day. That's four hours over the weekend in which by Sunday afternoon, it'll be anyone's track like it was at VIR this year and you'll be packing up early to go home! :D

The four groups are divided by skill level with a Saturday classroom session all day for newbies. Sunday there is no classroom session but new people to the hobby will have an instructor all weekend unless the student can demonstrate they can handle the car without instruction. :thumbsup:

Black Snake
12-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Crap. :( Right now I am scheduled for training in Sweden that week. I would be flying home on that Saturday. Hmmm, I wonder how much trouble I would get in for flying home a day early.

97whitevert
12-19-2007, 05:48 PM
ROB!! Can I go to Sweden with you???? I want to see where my grandfather was from!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

flynfink
12-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Crap. :( Right now I am scheduled for training in Sweden that week. I would be flying home on that Saturday. Hmmm, I wonder how much trouble I would get in for flying home a day early.

Wow, he lives.

Z06xr
12-20-2007, 02:44 AM
Hazman, sent you an email last week about CMP. Did you get it?

Also, did you get the radiator/oil cooler from DRM. I'm thinking about that to keep the oil temps down to a comfortable level.

Pat

brkntrxn
12-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the reply, Tony. With that said, I may just bring down both Cobras. Depends on how the 99 does at VIR with my winter updates.

fasst94impala
12-20-2007, 11:47 PM
eliminate the "kink" NO...say it aint so! That is one of the signature turns of the track and routinely provides serious pucker...It also provides an advantage to drivers who are missing a few bolts inside the helmet ;)

Can't wait to unleash the BeaSSt on that track :D.

Hazman
12-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Mark

I am looking forward to seeing the beast on track!! Any chance you are coming to VIR also?
Rick

fasst94impala
12-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Any chance you are coming to VIR also?Rick, I would love to run that track with you guys, but the '08 Impala Nationals are being held at Gateway International in St. Louis on June 12-15th.

Don't think I can get the kitchen pass plus I've got to conserve the rubber to help retain bragging rights :D

Gingerman is a possibility but is dependant on which 24hrs of Lemons race we decide to compete in '08.

Speaking of which our Rubber Biscuit Racing Caprice Cop car is in Feb 08 HOT ROD magazine. Unfortunately, the SCMC sticker is not visible ;) There is a 5 page spread about the race and we are highlighted for winning the People's Curse. Who us...aggressive ???:grinangel Only 1 black flag in 24hours of competition...I demand a recount!

Black Snake
12-21-2007, 05:48 PM
ROB!! Can I go to Sweden with you???? I want to see where my grandfather was from!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
As long as you don't mind lots of snow. I'll be there for one week in January, February, March and April.

Wow, he lives.
:D I had a rough year but Janine hasn't killed me yet.

LeadSSled
12-26-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm going to try to run the CMP event with you folks this year. The timing isn't the greatest - February through April are promising to be a very busy time at work and sometime in February or March, I may have to go to Europe. As soon as the travel picture firms up, and I know that this weekend isn't a conflict, I'll try to get registered. I may only be able to run just on Saturday though, but we'll see how that goes.

Cobraboy
12-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Well if I can get the clutch in the car in time I will make it to CMP. I have the clutch just need the flywheel and slave before I can install it. I can't wait to see what the Z06 feels like on track!! :D It sure will be nice to be in the advanced group this year.

My girlfriend Brittany may be joining us as well. She ran her car (07 BMW 328i) at several autox's last year and had a blast. She is wanting to try an OT event.

One question I have is about helmets. Last year I was told that for 08 SCMC was going to outlaw motorcycle helmets for OT events. I don't understand this at all. The reason I was told is due to the liner not being fire resistant. This seems a bit odd when the only clothing requirement for these events in the past has been a long sleeve shirt. I could understand if it were required that we wear a fire resitant suit/socks/gloves/shoes, but this is just a HPDE event. Nothing in the car is fire resistant anyways. We are also not required to have a fire supression system in the car. I just don't get it. Motorcycle helmets are some of the safest items you can put on your head. Providing it's a good helmet. There are some cheap ones out there thats for sure. If a helmet is good enough for a AMA rider or Moto GP rider why can't we wear them in a car?

flynfink
12-29-2007, 11:27 AM
One question I have is about helments. Last year I was told that for 08 SCMC was going to outlaw motorcycle helments for OT events. I don't understand this at all. The reason I was told is due to the liner not being fire resistant. This seems a bit odd when the only clothing requirement for these events in the past has been a long sleeve shirt. I could understand if it were required that we wear a fire resitant suit/socks/gloves/shoes, but this is just a HPDE event. Nothing in the car is fire resistant anyways. We are also not required to have a fire supression system in the car. I just don't get it. Motorcycle helments are some of the safest items you can put on your head. Providing it's a good helment. There are some cheap ones out there thats for sure. If a helment is good enough for a AMA rider or Moto GP rider why can't we wear them in a car?

Different impact requirements. A MC helmet must withstand different forces and is heavier. And, yes, it doesn't need to be fire resistant.

You cannot wear a SA hemet to ride an open track MC event and we're telling you (and everyone), we won't accept a MC hemet at our open track events.

Any ??'s.

Cobraboy
12-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Different impact requirements. A MC helmet must withstand different forces and is heavier. And, yes, it doesn't need to be fire resistant.

You cannot wear a SA hemet to ride an open track MC event and we're telling you (and everyone), we won't accept a MC hemet at our open track events.

Any ??'s.Nice to know safety is your highest priority. Maybe we will just head over to Myrtle Beach then back to track. That way our new flip-flops will be broken in before we hit the track:bounce: , but we will make sure to have our "approved" helmets and long sleeve t-shirts on so we will be good to go.:thumbsup:

Thanks for your input.

flynfink
12-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Nice to know safety is your highest priority.

It is. . Those are the rules. Also the insurance regulations..

end of discussion.. :thumbsup:

Cobraboy
12-29-2007, 12:24 PM
It is. . Those are the rules. Also the insurance regulations..

end of discussion.. :thumbsup:
I just find it interesting that NASA and SCCA both will allow M helmets....

cobrabitn
12-29-2007, 12:32 PM
While a lot of our guidelines are like NASA, this one is not for the reason Jeff said, impact on the helmet. Just like we don't accept convertibles without rollbars, it's for the safety of the driver and the instructor.

Are you saying you sold your Cobra and bought a Corvette?? :scratch:

Also, long sleeve shirts are required for you because if you flipped the car and hit the asphalt, your arms would have some protection vs. short sleeve shirts. We also require long pants, too so don't forget that one either. :thumbsup:

If you are going to go out and thrash your car on the track, you may as well be well protected, right? :D

flynfink
12-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Being a 30 yr. SCCA member and a nationally licensed Tech Inspector, you WILL NOT find a MC helmet on an race track. Autocross, maybe. But not on a race track.

I've tried explaining but not to your satifaction. don't like the rules, simple, don't run with us.

Cobraboy
12-29-2007, 12:39 PM
While a lot of our guidelines are like NASA, this one is not for the reason Jeff said, impact on the helmet. Just like we don't accept convertibles without rollbars, it's for the safety of the driver and the instructor.

Are you saying you sold your Cobra and bought a Corvette?? :scratch:

Also, long sleeve shirts are required for you because if you flipped the car and hit the asphalt, your arms would have some protection vs. short sleeve shirts. We also require long pants, too so don't forget that one either. :thumbsup:

If you are going to go out and thrash your car on the track, you may as well be well protected, right? :D
Ya I sold the cobra 3-4 months ago and got an 03 Z06.

Is this helmet good enough? It's a SA2005 rating.
http://i7.tinypic.com/87a8fom.jpg

I really don't want to buy another helmet but I understand the insurance coment. I wish that had been stated in the first reply. I was asking a question and got my head bit off. So returned the favor. I really wasn't trying to start anything on my origional post I just wanted an answer.

Atleast $120 is not as bad as I thought it would be. I am used to buying M helmets that we pay upwards of $700-800 for.

flynfink
12-29-2007, 12:52 PM
I was asking a question and got my head bit off. So returned the favor. I really wasn't trying to start anything on my origional post I just wanted an answer.

Wasn't biting anyones' head off. Gave you several answers, none of which were good enough. You were the one being argumentative. We go thru this every year..

Yes, my Shoei and Arai MC helmets are very expensive, but my head's worth it. My Simpson wasn't cheap either.

johnbasf
12-29-2007, 03:18 PM
SA helmets are for auto racing and are tested for impact, penetration, ease of removal, heat resistance, and strap strength. SA helmets are subjected to more impact angles than a helmet wearing the M (motorcycle) label and also have to sport fire-resistant paint and linings.

cobrabitn
12-29-2007, 05:00 PM
A 2005 rating is the most up to date rating so it is very much accepted. The problem we always have every year is that people do not read the rules and when they show up with a MC helmet we have to ask them did they read the rules and they later get upset because they feel it is a stupid rule. But the rules are there for your protection and a hospital bill can quickly add up if you have an incident and you don't have the proper protection. Why not spend a few dollars more and make sure you are compliant and safe. I understand that is what you are doing but I post this for those that are reading this thread so they too will understand. :thumbsup:

Z06xr
12-29-2007, 11:16 PM
A friend of mine took a copy of the existing track and altered it to show the new track configuration. The infamous kink is not being removed. With the exception of turn 14 the original track will remain as it is. The original turn 14 will have it's radius increased to soften it up a bit. What they're doing is adding alternate sections between turns 11 and 13 and adding a section at turn 14. You will have the option of running all, part, or none of the new stuff. In the picture the new sections are in black and the old track is in green. Now let's go have some fun!!!

http://www.racerjon.com/pictures/jon/cmpguess.jpg

cobrabitn
12-30-2007, 01:29 AM
Pat,

It is a two year plan so maybe they won't be doing it this year but Craig said within two years it would be straight from turn 9 to turn 12 which is okay by me since that would be one heck of a back straight. :thumbsup:

Z06xr
12-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Tony
I have not heard that they may eliminate the kink. What I have been told is that there is a three year plan that includes what's in the drawing plus adding a skid pad next year. Also in the plan is a kart track, adding a section off turn 8 (similar to 'the boot' at the Glen), and softening of the curbing in a few turns. I think that the 'kink' is a hallmark of this track. Too famous to mess with. I know of a number of memorable events that have happened at that point on the track. It kinda separates the crazies from the sane if ya know what I mean. :retard:

cobrabitn
12-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Maybe I was misinformed... :scratch:

fasst94impala
12-30-2007, 01:44 PM
The infamous kink is not being removed.... It kinda separates the crazies from the sane if ya know what I mean. :retard:
Excellent!! I agree, it's a signature turn and benefits those that are a little :crazy: ...guys flogging 4,250 LBS 4 door taxis around certainly resemble that remark :D

Stop&TurnFreak
12-31-2007, 06:31 PM
How many total cars are you allowing? This will be a good event to break in my 347.

Also, do you need some instructors? I have been running CMP for years.

Cobraboy
01-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I am really looking forward to seeing the new layout. I have been told that when they added the addition onto turn 14 they also changed the radius of the turn to allow for more exit speed. From what I have read this could mean 15-20mph higher entry speeds into turn 1.:thumbsup:

cobrabitn
01-02-2008, 12:39 PM
We limit the event to 75 paid participants so we can get tons of track time. I cannot answer the instructor question till I get some feedback from last year's instructors.

HTH

Cobraboy
01-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I hope to be able to sign up in the next couple of weeks. I don't want to miss this.

I have a buddy that has an 04 cobra that should be signing up as well. He has run a few autox's with us and wants to give OT a shot.

goldeneagle_10
01-03-2008, 01:31 PM
I hope to be able to sign up in the next couple of weeks. I don't want to miss this.

I have a buddy that has an 04 cobra that should be signing up as well. He has run a few autox's with us and wants to give OT a shot.
That would be me with the 04 Cobra. I'm really excited to be able to try the OT stuff. The autoX has been alot of fun for me, but everyone tells me that theres nothing like OT.

I hope to add a few more suspension pieces to the car and hopefully have a nice setup when I come to CMP. I look forward to getting to me everyone there.

BULLITT
01-03-2008, 04:02 PM
If anyone has issues with safety check out my link! I will have MORE safety equipment in the next one. BTW it was ONLY a HPDE event at VIR!

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t91/TBSTANGS/Yeller%20Dawg/

cobrabitn
01-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Sorry to see that about your car Bullitt!

Here's a good explanation of M rated vs. SA Rated helmets.

M (motorcycle) and SA (special application) are Snell foundation ratings (http://www.smf.org/). They can be applied to both full-face and open-face helmets. DOT has their own system but very few motorcycle or car-based track groups accept a helmet with DOT but not Snell ratings.

There are very few differences between the two ratings. When I last looked the differences were:

1. The M-rated helmet required a bigger eye opening for greater peripheral vision.

2. The SA helmet is required to have a fireproof inner lining.

3. While both helmets must pass the SAME edge, point, flat surface and curved surface impact/intrusion tests (think spear, edge of a table, another helmet and simply flat onto a concrete floor), the SA helmet has to pass a test of impacting a pipe (2", I think), which simulates a rollbar and the M helmet does not.

brkntrxn
01-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Tony,

I am going to try and get several track newbs to come to this event. You are ok with me posting up the info around the internet and at a local shop, right?

BULLITT
01-04-2008, 12:27 PM
The layout for the changes at CMP are wrong. I'll try and post the correct layout.

Tony

BULLITT
01-04-2008, 12:37 PM
I can't get the pics to paste here. Here is a link to the site.

http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/newsconstruction.html

Stop&TurnFreak
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
If anyone has issues with safety check out my link! I will have MORE safety equipment in the next one. BTW it was ONLY a HPDE event at VIR!

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t91/TBSTANGS/Yeller%20Dawg/
It was for that very reason I sold my Evo, and bought a car I could track, safely. I realized going down the back straight at Road A, at 151mph, with no cage, in open-passing, this was not such a good idea. Still, for a 3500lb car, a 1:38 isn't too bad :), considering it was before the track was re-paved. :) Now, I have a GT with a roll bar, and will be adding a cage before I run TT.

cobrabitn
01-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Brkntrxn,

Please tell as many people as you can so we can have a good turnout. I'd like to fill this thing up this year! :thumbsup:

Tony

Cobraboy
01-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Link to the offical track changes:

http://carolinamotorsportspark.com/newsconstruction.html

johnbasf
01-05-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm glad they didn't mess with "the kink" and turn 11.

poolman
01-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Wow, he lives.

Poolman is alive as well. Bringing the cars out of retirement! Looking forward to coming to CMP. I live in Myrtle Beach now, CMP is closer! :D

Sending in my registration package today.

johnbasf
01-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Poolman is alive as well. Bringing the cars out of retirement! Looking forward to coming to CMP. I live in Myrtle Beach now, CMP is closer! :D

Hey Dennis... :thumbsup:

poolman
01-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey Dennis... :thumbsup:

How ya been Johnny? Tried to get you on the Nextel a few weeks ago...no luck.

We're both up early this morning and I guess I shouldn't use the forum as an instant messanger, but hey, I'm glad to here from you. :rotf:

email me your current contact number to rdmccrary@aol.com

Dennis

cobrabitn
01-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Glad to see you taking a break Dennis, we missed you at all of the club events. See you at CMP! :D

List Updated :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
01-07-2008, 07:43 PM
On-line payment is now in the store....

2KWhiteSnake
01-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Maybe I was misinformed... :scratch:

You were told correctly. This was straight from Sylvia's mouth. First stage is the 12/13 change to a carousel, and addition of skidpad, which I've seen with my own 2 eyes. It was there over a month ago (skidpad). Kim Reed was was doing a turn 1 weekend that weekend, so I stopped by for a visit.

The straight from 8 to 12 is the 3rd phase (per what Sylvia said), and should be done in the next year or 2. She said CMP owns much more acreage there, and it was in the plan. 3 stages total.

Craig

flynfink
01-08-2008, 09:28 AM

Wow, he lives too.. cool. Looking forward to catching up..

poolman
01-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Wow, he lives too.. cool. Looking forward to catching up..

Me too Jeff... maybe we won't go on a grass excursion this year. :D

See you in a few weeks.

Z06xr
01-08-2008, 09:44 PM
CMP has finally updated their website to include some info on all the work in progress along with some pics. They say they are also repaving a lot of the corners to reduce tire wear.
Check it out at CMP Phase One (http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/newsconstruction.html)

cobrabitn
01-08-2008, 10:28 PM
List Updated! :thumbsup:

Stack
01-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Hey everyone... I can't wait for this event, and I'm going to try to join you all Sat & Sun since I love CMP and can't wait to try out the changes.

For those of you that will be in the instructor and advanced groups, I'm also hosting an Asphalt Ventures lapping day that Monday (March 10th). There's a thread in the Track sub-forum about the event.

(Rick, I hope this is OK to post here)

Yeller'
01-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Tony, can I use the entrance fee I paid for Gingerman last year (and didn't make it ahemRICKahem) for this event? I assume I still need to send in an entrance packet???

Thanks, I'm looking forward to CMP, I haven't been in a couple of years now.

cobrabitn
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Yes, you can apply your Gingerman entry fee to CMP.

97Whitesnake
01-22-2008, 02:56 AM
I've been itching for some track time since VIR! The propsed track changes look like they will be good for me b/c I pretty much sucked in turn 12 last year. I just wish the track was smoother like VIR. Tire wear was far better at VIR for me. Rob.... come home a day early man!!

Rex
01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Tony and big John:

We're in ... Rex and Debbie. Applications will go in the mail tomorrow. Do the dance and make it warm like last year.
Rex

cobrabitn
01-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Rex,

Glad you are coming out this year. Please spread the word for us in the Corvette community so we can have record turnout this year! :thumbsup:

Tony

cobrabitn
01-29-2008, 10:38 PM

cobrabitn
01-30-2008, 01:07 AM
Looks like these are some very positive changes for CMP. Got this off their forums and it looks like the track has been modified for higher speeds and less braking. This could be very cool and a lot more fun if it is easier on your brakes.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?a=67b0de21b35ec6e665e8&sid=0AcNWrRy2btWLChA&auto=0&idx=10&m=1&d=1201669240815

cobrabitn
01-30-2008, 11:09 PM

snakbitn
02-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Hey I am new to the forms but have been a member about a year. I will be running at CMP Feb.9th & 10th with NASA. I ran there 7 times there last year so I will let you know how it is.

cobrabitn
02-01-2008, 10:25 PM
That's cool! :thumbsup:

97Whitesnake
02-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Is it OK to camp @ the track Friday night?

cobrabitn
02-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Thomas it is okay but the cost is $25.00 a night per person. If you are asking why? It's because they charge the club $300.00 a night for camping and we cannot absorb that cost for campers. That means we have to collect $600.00 in order for people to camp out for two days. I don't like it any more than anyone else does but if CMP will let you pay them direct, I highly encourage that so it's one thing less for me to keep up with.. :(

johnbasf
02-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Tony,

Maybe the sponsor money from Parkway could pay for the camping if enough people camp. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
02-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I called CMP direct yesterday and they will allow camping for $25.00 per person for the weekend. That means we won't be charged the $300.00 fee and the campers can pay on their own. They will pay the track direct so it's one thing less for me to keep up with.

snakbitn
02-10-2008, 09:28 PM
OK guys & gals here is the lowdown on CMP.The new turn 12 is a bit quicker & 13 is basicly a long sweeping turn which needless to say you carry alot more speed down to turn 14.Turn 14 seems pretty much the same.They said they cut the corner off about 6ft.Turn 13 the sweeping turn has a little bit of pavement ridges & will unsettle the car under hard exceleration but not that bad.Most of all the other turns have new pavement down.Turns 4,5,6,7 are real smooth now and can carry more speed though them down turn 8.The heart pounding kink is still the heart pounding.The brake and tire issue I think is about the same.I burst the left front brake hose coming to turn 1 and went on a sand trap ride.I will be ordering all new stainless steel brake hoses.Any tips on where to buy them.All and all we add a hell of a good time.The track is better than ever.Wish I could go down with the club but I have an awards banquet at myrtle beach that weekend. Have a great time and I am planing on going to VIR.

cobrabitn
02-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up Robert! We'll miss you at CMP but hope you'll make VIR in May.

snakbitn
02-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Yea I am planning on going to VIR. I'll be signing up soon.:bounce:

goldeneagle_10
02-25-2008, 08:42 AM
I've got a question for you guys. Its possibe that I may have my cobra sold before I come to this event. If so, I won't be able to run this event. I have already paid to come there. Would you guys hold that entry fee that I paid over to another one of your events if I can't make it? I don't know if this is possible, but I wanted to go ahead and ask. Thanks.

VenomSVT
02-25-2008, 08:50 AM
I'll be sending in my registration form this week.

Stack
02-25-2008, 08:51 AM
I've got a question for you guys. Its possibe that I may have my cobra sold before I come to this event. If so, I won't be able to run this event. I have already paid to come there. Would you guys hold that entry fee that I paid over to another one of your events if I can't make it? I don't know if this is possible, but I wanted to go ahead and ask. Thanks.[cough] rental car! [cough] :thumbsup:

goldeneagle_10
02-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Well, I'm working on picking up an 02 C5 Z06... but it all depends on the cobra selling or not. I've just got a couple of guys that are working on getting loans for it, but neither has given me a solid answer yet.

Stack
02-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, I'm working on picking up an 02 C5 Z06... but it all depends on the cobra selling or not. LOL ... that seems to be becoming a pattern these days :D

Just like most of the Z guys that tracked their cars sold them and bought BMW's :rolleyes:

cobrabitn
02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Yes, you can apply it toward another SCMC track event or use it for next year. However, you want to do it is fine with me. :thumbsup:

goldeneagle_10
02-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Yes, you can apply it toward another SCMC track event or use it for next year. However, you want to do it is fine with me. :thumbsup:
Ok great, that is what I was hopeing for. I'll keep in touch with you and let you know hopefully by this weekend what happens. I'm deffinetly wanting to make one of the events with you guys this year :bounce:

cobrabitn
02-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Go to the first page to see the event shirt layout. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
02-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Man this thing is starting to fill up nicely!

97whitevert
02-27-2008, 11:12 PM
cool shirt!! :D

Will see everyone on Friday!! ( wish I were running :( [ unless i drive the 03.... no no no can't do that :D ] )

But will be there to work as usual. ( Tech on Friday evening, and whatever on Sat.) No Sunday for us.

cobrabitn
02-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Lisa,

What is wrong with the SVO?

:scratch:

97whitevert
02-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Lisa,

What is wrong with the SVO?

:scratch:Cooling issues (still)

it's not very good to have the car over heat and cut off on me!:mad::mad:

And it's our grand-daughters birthday Sunday, so we really need to make it there this year. We have been missing her party every year because we are always at CMP that weekend.

fasst94impala
02-29-2008, 09:55 PM
cool shirt!! :D Very nice shirts indeed. I presume the Impala would only fit on the 4XL shirts and therefore you had to leave them off? :run:

Curious how late can cars be teched on Friday? at Track or Hotel?

cobrabitn
03-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Mark,

From 4:00 p.m. till 7:00 p.m. for tech inspections.

Lisa,

I will not be on track on Saturday as that is my wife's birthday. But I'll be there on Sunday and a good shot on Monday, too. Asphalt Adventures is doing a track day on Monday and I recommend anyone that wants another day on track that this would be a good chance to get some extra track time. :thumbsup:

97whitevert
03-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Mark- to add to what tony said- tech at the hotel!

fasst94impala
03-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Mark- to add to what tony said- tech at the hotel!
Thanks for the info. ETA around 6pm. See you guys there.

cobrabitn
03-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Weather is looking perfect! :thumbsup:

goldeneagle_10
03-03-2008, 12:22 AM
cobrabitin... I will deffinetly not make it this weekend as my cobra sold this past thursday. I wish I could make it out there, but just won't happen. This weekend I'll be picking up the the C5 Z06 that I've been working on getting a deal for. :bounce: If I don't make it to VIR this year, I will deffinetly run next year with you guys at CMP. So just hold my entry fee until then, thank you :)

cobrabitn
03-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Or you can go to Gingerman this year which is a very fun track and the weather is great in SW Michigan in September.

Hazman
03-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Will Pro-Dyno be at CMP this year?

Big Daddy
03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Tony,

What if you just want to come by for a while and watch? What's the procedure?

cobrabitn
03-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Dan will not be there this year with the Dyno. Last year he got one person on the Dyno and it isn't cost effective. However, he is going to try and make it on Sunday afternoon if he can so he can catch some rides and enjoy the event.

BTW, George from MGW will be bringing his 2008 600 hp Dodge Viper to run on Sunday. :thumbsup: I'm going to run him down in my 94 Snake... :rotf:

Actually, someone said I could drive their Ford GT 40 on Sunday so I hope that person brings it with them. :D I will drive it if it is there...... :)

Greg, just come on down and sign in at the gate.

Big Daddy
03-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Ok thanks I will try to come by for awhile on Saturday...Everyone BE CAREFUL ON TRACK!

Yeller'
03-06-2008, 09:17 AM
someone said I could drive their Ford GT 40 on Sunday so I hope that person brings it with them. I will drive it if it is there

I should test it first to ensure it's safety.

puzzle13
03-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Ok thanks I will try to come by for awhile on Saturday...Everyone BE CAREFUL ON TRACK!I think Big Daddy needs to let all of us drive his new GT500 for a few hard laps just to break it in right!

Big Daddy
03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
I think Big Daddy needs to let all of us drive his new GT500 for a few hard laps just to break it in right!

SURE THING! No Problem!

Hold your breath and wait on that one to happen.... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

fasst94impala
03-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Dan is going to try and make it on Sunday afternoon if he can so he can catch some rides and enjoy the event.
AARP Taxi service will be available for track tours on Sunday. New underwear not included :D

The car is prepped. Just need to pack up and hit the road...yes I am psyched!:bounce:

puzzle13
03-06-2008, 10:34 PM
SURE THING! No Problem!

Hold your breath and wait on that one to happen....

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:So Selfish!

Yeller'
03-07-2008, 08:45 AM
someone said I could drive their Ford GT 40 on Sunday so I hope that person brings it with them. I will drive it if it is there......

Also, I call shotgun. :D

Big Daddy
03-07-2008, 09:22 AM
The way the weather looks here in Asheville, I'll probably be down on Sunday instead of tomorrow. Up here we are having thunderstorms today, rain tomorrow and possible snow saturday night. Asheville can get the craziest weather in one day. Sunday it's calling for 50's and sunny? I'll wait and see what develops.... :eek: :thumbsup: I want to see George's new Viper!

Stack
03-07-2008, 08:25 PM
I'll be coming in Saturday afternoon... be driving with you all on Sunday... just a reminder too... if you get rained out tomorrow, or you choose not to run... I've got plenty of room Monday during my lapping event... Upper 60's and Sunny baby!! :D

Just look for me in the Bimmer with Asphalt Ventures stickers on the front and back glass Saturday afternoon or Sunday... we'll talk! :thumbsup:

ALSO... any fellow b-ball fans want to get together somewhere Saturday night to catch the UNC/Duke game?

brkntrxn
03-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Unfortunately I will not be running the event due to overheating the IRS in the 99 at VIR back in February.

If anyone stays over for Stacy's event, I'll be there running around helping out.

tomsgarage
03-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Just want to be the first to post about what a GREAT Event this was!!! Plenty of track time, hanging out with a bunch of GREAT people, and passing Covette's....Priceless!!!

Good job to everyone who put this event on!!! :bounce:

cobrabitn
03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks to Jeff, Rick, Lisa, Burke, Garry, and everyone else that made it work like clockwork. Thanks to all of the instructors and to everyone who attended. I had a ton of track time and my car did real good all day on Sunday. The new course layout was much easier on the brakes and the speeds between 13 and 14 are definitely a triple digit speed. Running CMP is a lot more fun now! :thumbsup:

fasst94impala
03-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks Tony and company for another fantastic event and for allowing the supersized cars to play. That was more track time than my tires/brakes could take.

Great to meet new folks as well. Looking forward to returning to CMP! What a great track/event.

Z06xr
03-10-2008, 12:29 PM
and passing Covette's....Priceless!!!:bounce:

hmmmmmm..........we must not have met up on the track :p

Cars I passed on track:
Impala SS
Viper
Porsches
BMW
Mini Cooper (amazing little car with a very good driver)
SRF Racer
AC Cobras
Corvettes
and lottsa Cobra Mustangs

Cars that passed me:
Let's see.....I don't remember having to give 'the finger' to anybody. :D

All in fun folks!!! There were faster cars out there and I'm sure there were better drivers too. I just didn't get a chance to run with them.

Tony, Jeff, Rick, and all the rest of the folks behind this event did a great job...again! That's why I keep comming back to your events. More track time, by far, than any other events that I go to. It was nice to see some old friends and to meet some new ones. There's always a great bunch of folks at this event.

Scream Machine
03-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Man I knew it would happen... I got the road course fever. Now I wanna sell all my drag race stuff and go road coursing! This was more fun than anybody should have legally. Met lots of cool people and learned a whole bunch. Never dreamed I could be flying around a race track in company like Zo6's, Cobras, Viper and a Ford GT. Getting between Tony in the GT and George in the Viper was one of the coolest things I have ever done. CAN'T WAIT TILL V.I.R!!!!!!(maybe We can do it again)

Great, great,great event!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Tony and the whole SCMC gang.

Z06xr
03-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Man I knew it would happen... I got the road course fever.

Another convert! Welcome to the Darkside..........

Go here for more info and advice on the C6 Z06 track prep

Corvette Forum (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=23)

Scream Machine
03-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Pat,

After getting put in my place by You and Jerry Diggs the screws were already turning on what I could move around at the shop to get a '02-'04 ZO6 (track dedicated of course) without getting a divorce. I think I might try to move the OZ wheels and Michelins and pick up some used factory '07 wheels and Hoosiers for that slow black car. (probably just needs a driver) Thanks for the forum tip.

p.s. converting from Cobras to Corvettes is like the old saying "It's oh so wrong, but it feels so wright!"
Another convert! Welcome to the Darkside..........

Go here for more info and advice on the C6 Z06 track prep

Corvette Forum (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zeroforum?id=23)

tomsgarage
03-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Guess I should of said Corvette, not Corvette's! More seat time will allow me to say Corvette's! :D

All in fun, I have learned quite a bit from those of the "Dark Side"! :thumbsup:

johnbasf
03-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Did the club have enough paid participants to break even?