PDA

View Full Version : IRS Bolt Removal Question

SuperG
11-02-2007, 03:09 PM
In order to account for the possibility of rubbing 315's on my 18" race tires, and to make sure I don't ever rub with the normal 17's on for street duty, can I simply unbolt the IRS bolt without any parts coming down on me? I hate getting my face smashed...

red04svtcobra
11-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Are your rear rims 10.5 or 10? I was wondering the same thing as I would maybe want to go bigger later on to maybe a 305 or 315.
What I would do is put the car on jack stands and loosen the bolt but don't take it out and gently raise the IRS up to relieve some weight off the bolt and hammer it out. The jack below the IRS will hold it so it won't fall down but make sure you dont raise it to high or you wont be able to get the bolt out or even back in. I have never done this before but that would be my suggestion, I could be wrong and sorry if this is or no help.

SuperG
11-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Good idea on placing a jack under the irs...BTW, I do have 17x10.5 for the street and 18x10.5 for the track.

scorpio
11-02-2007, 04:48 PM
the jack will help alot. sometimes u will need to lower it alittle to get it out. changed mine a couple weeks ago.

mfelice03
11-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Even with the 295/45 17 MT Drag Radial, when the car is on the jack and the strut is fully extended, the tire will rub briefly on the IRS bolt when the car is lowered. In normal driving conditions (ie: not getting airborne with full strut extension), the IRS bolt won't be an issue.

I wouldn't remove the bolts, it's big and it's there for a reason. I've seen pics from people who have sanded the bolt down quite a bit and you can also use spacers. I'd recommend the live chat with the guys from Lethal Performance, they were really helpful when I decided what size wheel to buy.

sssvtcobra
11-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I replaced my bolts with the low profile ones from M.M., and I just jacked up the car, placed the rear of the car on stands, and then used a jack under the IRS like red04 said, and it took me maybe 15 minutes to swap out the two bolts after putting the car on stands. It's a piece of cake, and there's no worry about anything smashing your face.

SuperG
11-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks guys!! By now it's too late to order new bolts, so I will just grind them down a bit myself...The bolt heads have noticeable wearing, although not so bad that I am concerned. However there is a nasty bump at MSR that totally unloads the car and I can imagine a flat tire coming back down to the ground!!