PDA

View Full Version : Question about springs..

XyX
11-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Well it seems like a pretty easy and cheap mod. Everyone on SVTP cuts their springs to drop their cars, and i was wondering if anyone in the area can do that for me? I was thinking 1 coil off the front and maybe 3/4s to a full one in the rear. Let me know what you guys think.

Shane361
11-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Sure I was in the thread on SVT also. You can use a hacksaw which are really cheap if you cant find anything like a cutting wheel. Long as you dont use a torch, lol. You can also search the method to do the install and its rather simple and after the first time you will be a pro at it. I'll help as much as possible if you need it. Feel free to IM me or here or call.-Shane

PS..I cut off 3/4 in the rear and my scarpped on everything. Most people didnt have that problem with 3/4 so I advice you to STARAT with atleast that before you go a full coil.

nckissfan
11-04-2007, 01:36 PM
I, personally, would not cut a spring. As easy as it sounds, if you are off by a few bits on one side, you are going to throw the weight transfer off, and the balance off. Springs are not that expensive. I totally understand if you are on a budget, as I am. That is why I don't have springs yet.

XyX
11-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Comming from a VWbefore the cobra..cutting springs was a big no no. But from what i see on SVTP...everyone does it and has no problems. That's why i was going to do it, i understand what you mean by being off a little. Measure 20 times and cut once kinda thing.

Shane361
11-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Comming from a VWbefore the cobra..cutting springs was a big no no. But from what i see on SVTP...everyone does it and has no problems. That's why i was going to do it, i understand what you mean by being off a little. Measure 20 times and cut once kinda thing.First off, you have nothing to loose if you cut them and you dont like them. Then you do the 2nd option, buy some. Second off..I dont even think an inch off would make a noticeable difference. Third...6 million 03/04 Cobra owners have done it with great results. Lets all keep in mind the difference between Linear and Progressive springs. You cant cut progressive but if the spring is exactly the same from the top to bottom then cutting off a little just changes ride height for the most part, which is linear. Fourth, I just saved 15% by switching to GEICO:D -Shane

XyX
11-04-2007, 05:10 PM
haha yea.. i read that link that one guy posted about the linear and progressive thing. I understand all that now. So..a hacksaw huh...how long will that take? haha

Shane361
11-04-2007, 06:04 PM
haha yea.. i read that link that one guy posted about the linear and progressive thing. I understand all that now. So..a hacksaw huh...how long will that take? haha
Not sure but ya might want to get a couple blades! :D Went to a friends house who had a cutting wheel. Same sorta thing your trying to do here. If you were closer we could knock it out in less than 2 hours. Traded my H&R's out with a friend for his Steeda Sports in like 3 hours. After a few times you get the handle of it. Biggest issue is making sure you have the jack under the IRS with the rite amount of pressure so you dont strip your IRS bolt.(seen it) The fronts are stupid simple and fast. You dont need springs compressors either. Just gotta jack the car up high enough so your rotors go down enough to get the spring out. Some good post on SVTP about it.-Shane

XyX
11-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Ya i figure the front is just like my friends 00 GT we did. Pretty easy..but i never had exp. with cobra rears. Do you recommend air tools?

Cobra4me
11-04-2007, 06:35 PM
My experience is cut stock springs 3/4 coil. the car looked good but rode like a wagon Lousy!! Steeda springs no rear drop waste of money but theride was good and finally the eibach prokit JUST PERFECT. A good friend of mine and also a cobra owner gave me some valid advise. You own a 20K + car and you cut the springs?? Its a import trick. If you are gonna lower your car do it right!

cobrabitn
11-04-2007, 07:24 PM
My experience is cut stock springs 3/4 coil. the car looked good but rode like a wagon Lousy!! Steeda springs no rear drop waste of money but theride was good and finally the eibach prokit JUST PERFECT. A good friend of mine and also a cobra owner gave me some valid advise. You own a 20K + car and you cut the springs?? Its a import trick. If you are gonna lower your car do it right!

I agree! :thumbsup:

puzzle13
11-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Good luck with the hacksaw ... I hope your arms are in good shape. I really agree with the fact that you own a decent automobile and not an import. I used the Steeda Sport springs and it lowered my car about 1.25" - 1.50" all around (not quite sure about Cobra4me that said they didn't lower the back ) ... if it was any lower I would be on the ground. I can't do speed bumps and you have to be careful always when you drive on crappy roads. The ride was much better, especially the handling! Some think it is to rough, but once you drive it awhile it is great. Make sure you do the MM full length subframe connectors with the springs as any flex will be much more noticable. My Steedas will be up for sale next year when I go to coilovers for the track, but that will be at least a year.

XyX
11-04-2007, 08:53 PM
My experience is cut stock springs 3/4 coil. the car looked good but rode like a wagon Lousy!! Steeda springs no rear drop waste of money but theride was good and finally the eibach prokit JUST PERFECT. A good friend of mine and also a cobra owner gave me some valid advise. You own a 20K + car and you cut the springs?? Its a import trick. If you are gonna lower your car do it right!I totally agree..but ya know..If i can have a small quick fix..why not ya know? I never would have thought of doing it if i hadnt saw some many other 03/04 owners doing it. Not that I am one to follow the crowd..but it works. If anything I'd cut them for now, and get some real springs later on. I just want to go back to Louisiana a little different..not stock..hopefully i can get a job and pulley it before i go back.

And my arm..uhmm..yea..it'll fall off probably after 1 spring haha..