PDA

View Full Version : Burping the baby?

puzzle13
11-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Has anyone got any good tips on getting the coolant system burped? The first time everything went fine, but when I changed the coolant overflow tank today I can't seem to get the thermostat to open. I was hoping someone would have a surefire way to get this done.

Shane361
11-04-2007, 10:23 PM
This is word for word out of the Ford Service DVD

Re-fill the radiator with a 50/50 Mix of Gold Anti-Freeze and Distilled Water following the procedure below to burp air from cooling system. Re-check Radiator Fluid Level. Repeat as necessary to ensure proper engine cooling.

Filling Cobra without RADKITPLUS*CAUTION: Vehicle cooling systems are filled with Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant VC-7-A (in Oregon VC-7-B) or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1 (yellow color). Always fill the cooling system with the same coolant that is present in the system. Do not mix coolant types.

*CAUTION: Engine coolant provides freeze protection, boil protection, cooling efficiency, and corrosion protection to the engine and cooling components. In order to obtain these protections, the engine coolant must be maintained at the correct concentration and fluid level in the degas bottle.

When adding engine coolant, use a 50/50 mixture of engine coolant and deionized water.

To maintain the integrity of the coolant and the cooling system:

Add Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant VC-7-A (in Oregon VC-7-B) or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1 (yellow color). Use the same coolant that was drained from the cooling system. Do not mix coolant types.

Do not add/mix orange-colored Motorcraft Speciality Orange Engine Coolant VC-2 or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B44-D. Mixing coolants may degrade the coolant's corrosion protection.

Do not add alcohol, methanol, or brine, or any engine coolants mixed with alcohol or methanol antifreeze. These can cause engine damage from overheating or freezing.

Do not mix with recycled coolant unless it meets the requirements of Ford specification WSS-M97B51-A1. Not all coolant recycling processes meet these Ford specifications. Use of such coolants can harm the engine and cooling system components.

NOTE: The addition of Motorcraft Cooling System Stop Leak Pellets, VC-6, darkens Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant from yellow to golden tan.

Check all hose clamps for correct tightness. Make sure the radiator drain**** is closed.

Remove the coolant bottle cap and fill the degas bottle to the add coolant line. Install the cap.

*CAUTION: Do not fill the cooling system through the reservoir only (coolant will not enter the engine), only the reservoir and the radiator will be filled and engine overheating will occur.Remove the fill plug in the crossover tube on top of the engine.

Using a funnel, add coolant to the crossover port, keeping the level of coolant in the funnel at 1/4 full.

Squeeze the 2 large upper cooling system hoses 5 times. Bubbles may appear in the funnel as air exits the system.

Start the engine and run for 5 minutes while monitoring the coolant in the funnel.

A sudden drop in the funnel level indicates the elimination of air in the system.
Shut off the engine and let it cool for 10 minutes.

Crack open the degas bottle cap enough to allow the coolant level in the funnel to drop to within 1 inch of the bottom of the funnel.

Tighten the cap.

Remove the funnel and install the fill plug in the crossover tube.

Add coolant in the degas bottle to the full coolant line.

Repeat the fill procedure if necessary.

countrysvt
11-05-2007, 01:52 PM
when i done mine i filled the overflow to the add mark, take the plug out of your crossover pipe, crank it up, keep the coolant a half to inch above the rail make sure your funnel fits tight when it seems full squeez the top radiator hose till there r no big bubbles then turn heat on high and on the floor till the bubbles r minnimal small ones will appear while running then cap it run to make sure it is not going to run hot.

Shane361
11-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Thats about it. Open both fill from cross over till overflow tank goes to line. Cap overflow. Insert funnel tape with electrical tape(makes a good seal) then add coolant till you see it in the very bottom of the funnel. When the car runs the coolant gets hot and expands. Let coolant run till normal and after thermo kicks in for a like ten minutes. Turn car off let car cool keeping coolant in the funnel. Then a few hours later plug the cross over cap, run car, let cool, take the plug out fill. Might have to do that a few times but that should do it. This is what it will look like...well..this is a blown head gasket and you shouldnt see so many bubbles-Shane
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/shane361/Cobra/th_MVI_0033.jpg (http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/shane361/Cobra/?action=view&current=MVI_0033.flv)

puzzle13
11-05-2007, 07:36 PM
I appreciate the help ... got her to burp today without any problem. Don't know if all the bubbles are gone as my funnel didn't fit that well ... but did it 3 times and she seems to be running fine so far!

Thanks!! :D

puzzle13
11-06-2007, 06:57 PM
fixed the funnel to work better and got a lot more bubbles out!