PDA

View Full Version : drag racing pointers needed

red04svtcobra
11-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Have a quick question regarding running my cobra at the strip this weekend. I have never done this before in a stick car and wondering if I should just spin the tires a little bit just to get off the dirt or don't worry about it and just line up and go? Also, what RPM should I launch at as I will be on street tires and should I just dump the clutch or feather it out of the hole so it doesn't wheel hop?
Last, what gear should I be in at the end of the quarter?
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks
Chris

cobrabitn
11-08-2007, 09:12 PM
You should avoid the water box since you have street tires. No need to spin them since the track will have plenty of traction, that's why they call it the house of hook.

I would try different rpms to find out where you run best. I would start at 2500 rpms and try to feather it just a little till you get enough practice and learn your car better.

You should be in third gear when you cross the line. If your car is stock, you should be in the mid 12's somewhere @ 110 mph. (You should be able to do 110 in third gear)

Good luck beating Kevin at the track. Sounds like you are going to need it! :thumbsup:

P.S. Make sure you put something on your rear quarters to protect them from the rubber.

red04svtcobra
11-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks Tony. I am going to need all the help I can trust me. If it were an automatic it would be different. I will try and ease into it off the line and put it to the floor once hooked up. I am hoping for 12.5's!!

GodStang
11-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Hey man I am in your same place. I can run a striaght axle but can not run an IRS. I will be at Jackson this weekend getting schooled by a fellow Terminator owner. I wish you luck.

mfelice03
11-11-2007, 10:10 PM
You need to get some DRs, they are definitely worth the money. I easily took off 4 tenths of second on my 1/8th mile time. It's nearly impossible to launch the Cobra consistently with street tires...most times they'll just spin or you'll get a terrible start on the line.-