PDA

View Full Version : Msr

Evilcartman
11-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I had a blast. I could only make it saturday, but it was such a nice event even for only one day. I walked away with 513 pictures, a sun burn and a nice glass trophy. It is too late to post the pictures tonight, but I will work on them one night this week. No preview pic this time. :bounce: :bounce:

97CasperCobra
11-11-2007, 11:15 PM
I had a damn good time....Stan IS the MAN!!!

At the end of my 2nd day, which was short lived, I had the complete confidence of my car's abilities and that was done by one man....Stan.:hail:

On my third lap, second run on Sunday my car wouldn't downshift to 3rd gear coming into a turn. I tried again....NONE. I didn't have ANY gears. I coasted in neutral around the turn and was able to find 2nd and limp around the track to come into the pits. It was later determined that the clutch had given....so I'll be shopping for a new one. What pissed me off was NOT that my car crapped out me....but that I wasn't able to keep learning.:(

This weekend was something that I know a LOT of us needed.....a break from reality, and a weekend amonst friends, doing what we love. I can not thank everyone enough for helping me out and showing concern after my car mishap....you made my day. Thanks to Larry and Stan for seeing me to the end and all extra help. I owe you both some beers!!!!

Thank you SCMC, Jim & Jackie, Edmond & Annie, Eloise, Patrick, Phil....anyone I left out....and especially SCMC for making this event such a success. Thanks to the out-of-towners for helping support this region and for lending your "talent" with instructing. Who would have known when I helped start this region years ago that it would be THIS big!!!! Again thanks my friends....my family. :thumbsup: :hail:

jimmysidecarr
11-11-2007, 11:44 PM
It's going to take my brain a while to sort out the sensory overload from this weekend...

This was the most fun I have ever had..... :bounce:

in a car..... :burnout:

with my clothes on!!! :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

For now... a couple images until I get some rest and put my thoughts together....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/MSR%20Houston%202007%20Cobra%20GT500%20Nationals/PB110014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/MSR%20Houston%202007%20Cobra%20GT500%20Nationals/PB110015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/MSR%20Houston%202007%20Cobra%20GT500%20Nationals/PB100011.jpg

Thumbs up to an outstanding bunch of great folks!! Y'all really know how to do up an incredible event!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/MSR%20Houston%202007%20Cobra%20GT500%20Nationals/PB100013.jpg

THANK YOU!!!

97CasperCobra
11-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks JimmySideCORD!!!!!

Admiral
11-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Great event guys, your hard work really showed and paid off. Thanks for taking such good care of us instructors, most pleasant experience I've had at the track in a long time. I had a blast on track and in the paddock, good to see some familiar mugs I hadn't seen in a long time. I especially want to thank Stan, Edmond, Jim and David for keeping it all running like clockwork.

I knew I was going to have fun when I hit the registration desk on Saturday morning, thanks to Jackie and the other folks who made it all so easy and made us feel special!!

Great crew of instructors, good to see Marty again, I always like visiting with Joe J, Carl, and the rest of the gang. I met a few new instructor friends like Travis and Ken. Great bunch of track-junkies to hang out with all weekend.

Sorry if I've left any other important names out, sensory overload for an old fart like me!!

Can't wait to see you guys at the track again soon!!!! :thumbsup:

Carl G
11-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Great job on the event.Thanks to all who help make this a load of fun. Special thanks to Edmond, Stan, Jim and Jackie, Patrick, Larry and Elloise, Phillip, Henry, David.... Hope I did not forget anyone. Thanks to all of the out of town people for participating in our event. No major incidents on track and everyone took their cars home in one piece. It is really fun to be with a group of people who share the same passion and work together to help each other out in a time of need. Can't wait for the next event.

SuperG
11-12-2007, 09:56 AM
That was a lot of fun! Thanks to Andy and Carl for taking Ben out on the track!! And HUGE thanks to the Franks!! Larry helped tremendously and Rachael went out of her way to get a new pump for the intercooler!! Also thanks to Jimmy for all his help (1/4" spacers and a 19mm socket to hammer onto the locking lugs so he could have his spacers back!).

The car came back in one piece which makes the weekend a total success! I learned a lot about the Terminator and also on brake management!!!

It was truly wonderful to finally meet some of the out-of-towners...like the infamous Tony! And those crazy C******** and their r******!

Signed,

Mr. I don't know what kind of brake pads I have...

Firme
11-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I had an absolute blast. People are what make these events a success, and we had a whole mess great people at this event. I would like to start by thanking those who helped with running this event, as your hard work is what allows others to enjoy these events. Jim & Jackie, Eloisa & Larry, Patrick, Phil, DeWayne, Henry, Gary F., Stan and David, thank you for helping everything run smooth, from registration to tech, from instructors to pre-grid and grid, to the car show. I want to especially thank Patrick for bringing his 4 wheeler so that we could manage the new layout of the distant registration building and all of the getting around.

I would also like to thank all of those that came out to support this event. First, I would thank the out-of-towners for going through great lengths and expense to come down and make the Texas folks feel closer to the National club. I know many people can now put faces to the names. I would like to thank all of the members that came out to support the club and this event. We had a great mix of track and car show enthusiasts enjoying the weekend in each others company. I would like to thank all of our great instructors, for helping the newbies learn and get hooked and stepping up whenever their help was needed. I would also like to thank our non-member friends who come out every year to support this club and our events and make the weekend more enjoyable. Mike and David, sorry to see you had mechanicle trouble, as it all seems too familiar to me from several weeks back, but there are some great people in the group that help make the misfortune much more bearable.

I am greatful that we had a safe weekend, and I hope that everyone had good time and enjoyed themselves.

Levi
11-12-2007, 12:22 PM
I just would like to say that we could not have had such a great event with out the number one class act of SCMC volunteers and driving instructors. I look forward to seeing all of you at our event next year. :thumbsup:

Admiral
11-12-2007, 05:55 PM
:ttiwwop:

Post em up if you got em!!!

Hazman
11-12-2007, 07:32 PM
We had a great time as always!! Thanks again for having us down you folks put on a wonderful event.:thumbsup: :bounce:

scorpio
11-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Great event guys, your hard work really showed and paid off. Thanks for taking such good care of us instructors, most pleasant experience I've had at the track in a long time. I had a blast on track and in the paddock, good to see some familiar mugs I hadn't seen in a long time. I especially want to thank Stan, Edmond, Jim and David for keeping it all running like clockwork.

I knew I was going to have fun when I hit the registration desk on Saturday morning, thanks to Jackie and the other folks who made it all so easy and made us feel special!!

Great crew of instructors, good to see Marty again, I always like visiting with Joe J, Carl, and the rest of the gang. I met a few new instructor friends like Travis and Ken. Great bunch of track-junkies to hang out with all weekend.

Sorry if I've left any other important names out, sensory overload for an old fart like me!!

Can't wait to see you guys at the track again soon!!!! :thumbsup:thanks so much for your help Mike. i cant beleive having that much fun in a car is legal. i only wish i would have started sooner.i will be at the next event for sure.

scorpio
11-12-2007, 08:33 PM
here are some pics. there is alot on the second page.

http://www.houstonperformancedriving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25804

Evilcartman
11-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Here are my pics. I'm not very pleased with the results. I didn't clean them up, so there are a bunch of extra pics.

SCMC MSR PICS (http://picasaweb.google.com/evilcartmancobra/SCMCMSRNationals)

UFO
11-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Here are my pics. I'm not very pleased with the results. I didn't clean them up, so there are a bunch of extra pics.

SCMC MSR PICS (http://picasaweb.google.com/evilcartmancobra/SCMCMSRNationals)Hey mate, could you do me a favour and blur out my license plate?

Oh, wait.... :mad:.

97CasperCobra
11-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Here are my pics. I'm not very pleased with the results.
Do I really need to show you how to take pictures???? :p

Great pics guys.....I didn't take my camera out AT ALL!!!! I'm very disappointed in myself..... :(

Evilcartman
11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
FYI - Pics are still uploading

Total is 497

Evilcartman
11-12-2007, 09:08 PM
Do I really need to show you how to take pictures???? :p

Great pics guys.....I didn't take my camera out AT ALL!!!! I'm very disappointed in myself..... :(

Yes, you do. I need to venture to the other side of the cameras dial and stop using auto mode.

97CasperCobra
11-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Yes, you do. I need to venture to the other side of the cameras dial and stop using auto mode.
oh boy....you're in a world of trouble. ;)

93KingCobra
11-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I had a great time even though I was out in no mans land all day Sat. but Dewayne and Patrick saved my butt on Sun. so I could get a few rides with my bud's!

Thanks alot to David and Stan for some more track time that I really needed...

And to Stan "The Wild Man" you gave me a new meaning of the word track is crack........You are one crazy man in the turns and have to say you really scared the SH*T out of me out there but was totally calm at the same time......:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

And to everyone else that was apart of this event you did a outstanding job.. :thumbsup:

Bartman01
11-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Event was a blast (as usual). I need to get to more than one of these a year.

Left my camera at home this time. Wanted to focus on the driving.

Nothing wrong with the results. Unless you want to dedicate your entire day to taking pics - or have a monster telephoto lens (like a 200-400 or bigger), it is hard to get a good 'close' shot. With my 70-200 I have to crop out most of the image to get a 'good' result from the easy to access shooting locations.

Add to that the rapidly changing lighting conditions and the cars (different colors and the reflections) and you have a photographers nightmare.

Oh, and the # 1 secret to being a 'great' photographer: Take 500 photos and then only publish the best 10-50. In the film days you could expect to get 1-2 keepers from a roll of film. Of course the problem with that is people will then complain that you showed none of them.

Couple of tips for anyone taking pics:
Use shutter priority mode and find the shutter speed that gives you the wheel blur you want (if any).
Unless the lighting is changing every few seconds - find a close to neutral gray spot on the track (or off) to meter from and then use that to lock in the exposure. Repeat when the lighting changes (sun goes behind clouds for a while or pops back out).
Use a good polarizer to help control the reflections off the glass/paint. Probably won't get rid of them completely, but it will help tone them down a bit.

Admiral
11-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Who/what was the track photographer there in the airstream trailer? I keep forgetting that business name, want to see if they got any shots of us going over the "launch".

Admiral
11-13-2007, 06:34 AM
thanks so much for your help Mike. i cant beleive having that much fun in a car is legal. i only wish i would have started sooner.i will be at the next event for sure.

Shawn,

You are a quick learner and good driver, I ran out of things to teach/show you after just a few sessions. You got VERY FAST in a VERY SHORT TIME. Great job and hope to see you at a track soon! :thumbsup:

Hope your wife has recovered from her experience.... :eek:

03 cobra toy
11-13-2007, 08:49 AM
What a great event !! :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
11-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Is there a track event scheduled for December??? :D

SuperG
11-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Who/what was the track photographer there in the airstream trailer? I keep forgetting that business name, want to see if they got any shots of us going over the "launch".
Well, his name is Doug and I have forgotten the name of the company/website...I am sure someone will remember shortly...

cobrabitn
11-13-2007, 12:16 PM
I had a great time this past weekend. Meeting many of you was a pleasure and watching you all having fun was the highlight of my weekend. It was good to have the guys from Canada, MN, and IN to come out and enjoy a stress free weekend.

I also really enjoyed the banquet, getting to break bread together as one family is always a good thing. The friendships, the fun, the whole weekend was worth the trip. I am traveled out for the rest of the year between MI, GA, TN, and TX, I am totally pooped. ( NO I didn't say I pooped, I said I am totally pooped. :rotf: )

I enjoyed running with Vernon on the road as we ran straight from the TX border to the Carolinas without an over night stay. I drove 2500 miles for this trip and it'll be soon be time for an oil change. (I just had one before I left).

Thanks to everyone who made us feel welcome and especially to the event organizers who made the event run smoothly. It takes a lot of work to put on one of these events. Be sure to thank them for their time, energy, and enthusiasm as they sacrifice their own fun so you can have a great weekend event.

And remember, keep the shiny side up! :thumbsup:

Levi
11-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Stan "The Wild Man" you gave me a new meaning of the word track is crack........You are one crazy man in the turns and have to say you really scared the SH*T out of me out there but was totally calm at the same time......:bounce:

Scared the sh** out of YOU,,,,,, I had to change my pants when I got home. :p

97CasperCobra
11-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Who/what was the track photographer there in the airstream trailer?
his name is Doug Pawlak, company is Digital Photo Cafe, his e-mail is digitalphotocafe@gmail.com

Larry95
11-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Is there a track event scheduled for December??? :DDec 8-9 at MSR Cresson. I'd love to go if I we could just count on the weather to be half way good. If you decide to go, let me know.
http://www.thedriversedge.net/02_tracks.htm

Larry

Evilcartman
11-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Event was a blast (as usual). I need to get to more than one of these a year.

Left my camera at home this time. Wanted to focus on the driving.

Nothing wrong with the results. Unless you want to dedicate your entire day to taking pics - or have a monster telephoto lens (like a 200-400 or bigger), it is hard to get a good 'close' shot. With my 70-200 I have to crop out most of the image to get a 'good' result from the easy to access shooting locations.

Add to that the rapidly changing lighting conditions and the cars (different colors and the reflections) and you have a photographers nightmare.

Oh, and the # 1 secret to being a 'great' photographer: Take 500 photos and then only publish the best 10-50. In the film days you could expect to get 1-2 keepers from a roll of film. Of course the problem with that is people will then complain that you showed none of them.

Couple of tips for anyone taking pics:
Use shutter priority mode and find the shutter speed that gives you the wheel blur you want (if any).
Unless the lighting is changing every few seconds - find a close to neutral gray spot on the track (or off) to meter from and then use that to lock in the exposure. Repeat when the lighting changes (sun goes behind clouds for a while or pops back out).
Use a good polarizer to help control the reflections off the glass/paint. Probably won't get rid of them completely, but it will help tone them down a bit.

Next time you have your camera, I need photo 101.

97CasperCobra
11-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Next time you have your camera, I need photo 101.
I think our event photographer could use some 101 as well as there were no pictures that had the "wheel" blur either. I'd like to see that I was hauling some a$$ even when the picture is taken. It's not that hard....see David's sig. :thumbsup:

TheSandman
11-13-2007, 04:03 PM
A BIG thanks to all the Texans who put on a fun event. I had 18hrs on the drive home to N Carolina to think how I could improve on my driving and make my car faster. Enjoyed meeting and putting a faces with names of my "Cobra Brothers".
Thanks again & I hope to see some of you east!

97CasperCobra
11-13-2007, 04:23 PM
A BIG thanks to all the Texans who put on a fun event. I had 18hrs on the drive home to N Carolina to think how I could improve on my driving and make my car faster. Enjoyed meeting and putting a faces with names of my "Cobra Brothers".
Thanks again & I hope to see some of you east!
So awesome to see those Shelby's on the track....they looked beautiful. Hope to see you when I come to the East!!! :thumbsup:

Firme
11-13-2007, 05:52 PM
I think our event photographer could use some 101 as well as there were no pictures that had the "wheel" blur either. I'd like to see that I was hauling some a$$ even when the picture is taken. It's not that hard....see David's sig. :thumbsup:

The other people we used to use did the same thing, I once asked why they didn't bother to make the wheels blur and the answer I got was "most people ask to see their rims in the shot instead of having them blurred"

:dunno:

I am with you, I like wheels blurred.

UFO
11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks to everybody for the concern this weekend and all the kind words. They don't help me resolve the situation but they did help me to keep my spirits up, so thanks again. Incidentally, the engine is toast.

Big thanks to Dave 'The Porsche Killer' on 2 fronts. First thanks needs no explanation as he knows why :). Second thanks for being my instructor. Thoroughly enjoyed driving round the track with Dave and even though his instructor talents may have seemed to fall on deaf ears I did walk away with a wealth of knowledge. Top notch instructor :thumbsup:.

JBoden
11-13-2007, 07:41 PM

Mike,

The track photographer was Doug Pawlak, Digital Photo Cafe
e-mail digitalphotocafe@gmail.com

Evilcartman
11-13-2007, 09:26 PM

At the 2005 MSR event I set the camera up to blur the wheels and many of my pictures came out blurry. I'm guessing because the shutter is slightly slower making it easy to blur not just the wheels but the entire picture. Some of my picture came out ok, but many didn't.

SuperG
11-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Also thanks to Jim for letting me drive in Yellow, then Blue, then finally where I was suppose to be driving...Red!!

Also, Scorpio, that was the best sounding Cobra there!

Dang, this sucks...It's Wednesday and I wish I could go back to Saturday!! Wifey wants some money for Christmas, so no track until February!!

scorpio
11-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Also thanks to Jim for letting me drive in Yellow, then Blue, then finally where I was suppose to be driving...Red!!

Also, Scorpio, that was the best sounding Cobra there!

Dang, this sucks...It's Wednesday and I wish I could go back to Saturday!! Wifey wants some money for Christmas, so no track until February!!
let me know when the next event arrises. i cant wait to see the track again.

track is crack and im hooked.

03 cobra toy
11-14-2007, 05:00 PM

:D :rotf:

97CasperCobra
11-14-2007, 05:03 PM

Already posted December's events.

scorpio
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
cant go. gotta wait .

JoeJ
11-16-2007, 07:39 PM
I had a blast at the SCMC event at Houston MotorSports Ranch. It was a blast chasing Dave Mizler. I think I need a few more horses to stay up with him and the Z06 Corvettes. . It was also fun passing the Miata's even tho they were not the most friendly to talk to.

SuperG
12-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Here's a video from MSR-H from Sergio with the SHO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y10XzqhSNE

cobrabitn
12-02-2007, 06:17 PM
That was soo cool.....especially after that Silver 582 rwhp Cobra Convertible from NC was giving him the point by at the end. :rotf:

SuperG
12-02-2007, 06:35 PM
That was soo cool.....especially after that Silver 582 rwhp Cobra Convertible from NC was giving him the point by at the end.
Ha Yeah...those people from the Carolina's...;)

cobrabitn
12-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Well....I was just saying that because I wanted to give Puzzle13 a hard time. We're not all that bad! :D