PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about a 98 cobra

Jacob_Royer
11-12-2007, 01:19 PM
I am looking to buy a 98 cobra in absolute mint condition. The only thing i can notice that might be a problem is that it seems to crank a along time before starting? No codes and runs great.. Is this aproblem or a common thing for these cars to do? Its like it cranks for a awhile before it even starts firring once it starts firring it starts right up? is this a built in feature to get the oil pressure up before starting? I have a 93 thunderbird supercoupe and its always been the same way. From what i've been able to find out they did it on the SC's for engine pre-oiling.. Any input on this would be appreceated. The car is basicly stock other than a JLT intake OR h-pipe and mac? mufflers also a short throw hurst shifter 1.5" springs cobra R rims. 83k on it clean title and carfax so i think it will be a greatcar. Also has leather (power driver sear) and mach 460 sound

Cowboy
11-13-2007, 08:51 PM
My Cobra does the same thing. I have changed the plugs so far with no change. Don't know anything about the features or where to find them,but I can say that my 98 Cobra SVT, when first started in the morning takes about four-five turns to turnover. When it's warm, the thing turns right over.

Ian

auto-xr
11-22-2007, 03:00 PM
My Cobra does the same thing. I have changed the plugs so far with no change. Don't know anything about the features or where to find them,but I can say that my 98 Cobra SVT, when first started in the morning takes about four-five turns to turnover. When it's warm, the thing turns right over.

IanMy 98 Cobra did the same thing. I brought it into the dealer (San Bruno Peninsula Ford...They have since tanked and are not longer open) to look at this problem so many times that I lost count. My ordeal with this problem lasted the through the factory warranty and through the extended warranty. They changed the plugs, the coil packs, the fuel pump, etc...After awhile, I figured they had no clue of how to troubleshoot or they were complete idiots. I think this could be one of those problems that everyone has but Ford doesn't want to deal with.

If you look past this minor annoyance, this car is still pretty good. I had the converitble, which made the car a little slower than the coupe (convt = heavy). Depending on you personality this may have enough get up and go to keep you happy. 0-60 under at or below 6 seconds.

Mechanically, the car gave me only few issues. The one mentioned above , a clutch issue (the clutch popped out of gear when reversing. The dealer took care of this documented problem), and door speaker issue (one of the door speakers blew out but the dealer took care of this). I bought it off the show room display and put over 60K miles on it. I kept the car bone stock, but it was a fun ride especially when the top was down. Lots of looks :)