PDA

View Full Version : VIR Nationals 2008

Carl G
11-20-2007, 06:44 PM
OK, I got my hall pass to go to Virginia in late May for the three day event. Already schedule the time off from work,so that can't keep me out this time.

IN :thumbsup:
Larry E.
Jim
Carl

Maybe:
Jimmy
Bart

No Response:
Edmond
Henry
Joe J.

OUT:
Mike K.
David
Stan
Larry F.

JBoden
11-20-2007, 07:57 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The chance to do the full course - WAHOOOOOO !! Hold me back :eek:

You guys will love this facility - lets GO!!!! :thumbsup:

97CasperCobra
11-20-2007, 11:38 PM
What days are we needing to go???

Leave on a Wed, get there on Thurs night?? Fri-Sun track day. Leave on Mon, get back to Houston on Tues???

SuperG
11-21-2007, 07:47 AM
If someone can trailer my car, then I am in.

So then what I'll do is fly to Raleigh/Durham, visit the Aunt, have her drop me off at VIR, watch you unload my car, have a fun 3 day weekend, watch you load my car back onto the trailer, have my Aunt pick me up and take me to the airport, then wait for what would seem like forever until you guys make it back to Houston, then watch you unload my car, then drive home.

Now that's a plan if I ever saw one!

97CasperCobra
11-21-2007, 09:33 AM
If someone can trailer my car, then I am in.
Do I sense a Rent-A-Racer or V6 challange??? :D

SuperG
11-21-2007, 09:38 AM
I thought of that but I kind of like driving my own car!!

Larry95
11-21-2007, 10:53 AM
We're in :bounce: I'll start saving now for the gas money :(

Larry & Eloisa

Bartman01
11-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Any ideas about travel plans and dates? Per Google Maps - from my house to the track is 1,206 mi (their estimate of 18 hours 39 mins). So it looks like driving is a 2 day trip each way. So leave Wed 28th, get back by Tues June 3rd?

97CasperCobra
11-21-2007, 11:04 AM
That's what I'm wondering as well Bart, would be nice to submit my vacation before anyone else does. :thumbsup:

Larry95
11-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Speaking for myself, us old folks, it is definately a two day trip. That's the way Jim and I did it this year. We also stayed off of I-10 by going up 59 to catch I-20 and then over. So plan on leaving early Wed morning (like clear Cleveland by 6:00 or 7:00 AM) and drive a full day till about 7:00 PM, and that leaves a little shorter drive to VA the next day.

This is going to be a blast.

Larry

97CasperCobra
11-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Speaking for myself, us old folks, it is definately a two day trip. That's the way Jim and I did it this year. We also stayed off of I-10 by going up 59 to catch I-20 and then over. So plan on leaving early Wed morning (like clear Cleveland by 6:00 or 7:00 AM) and drive a full day till about 7:00 PM, and that leaves a little shorter drive to VA the next day.

Larry
Sounds like a plan Larry...thanks for letting us know. I'll submit my vacation request today. I can't wait....the caravan's gonna be one awesome spectacle!!!! :thumbsup:

Hazman
11-21-2007, 12:25 PM
From your friendly nieghborhood TRACK :spimpin:

You know if you are going to make that long drive from TX you might as well take the whole week off. Drive up the weekend before spend some time with the family in the beautiful mountains of Virginia then....

Join the Tarheels Club for two days of VIR full course follwed by a day of full course with the SCMC and then two days of south course!!!:flip: Five whole days on one of the premier tracks in the country!!:burnout:

And if that is not enough you could stop off on the way home and run Barber with NASA June 6-8.:eek:
Come on you know you want it...TRACK:firedevil

Admiral
11-21-2007, 12:53 PM
If I only had a track car..................lol. Seriously, I think I over-abused my daily driver last time out with the SCMC track-demons!

Guess I could start wrenching on this 95 Cobra....?

jimmysidecarr
11-21-2007, 01:09 PM
OK, I got my hall pass to go to Virginia in late May for the three day event. Already schedule the time off from work,so that can't keep me out this time. Who's in :thumbsup:

Stan
David
Larry(Both of you)
Mike
Jim
Edmond
Henry
Jimmy...Highly doubtful I will be able to drop that much dough on one event... :doubt: Maybe after I retire... if I haven't blown all the money by then... :rolleyes:
Joe J

97CasperCobra
11-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Sorry to hear Jimbo....we'll miss ya. :(

Hazman
11-21-2007, 01:25 PM
If I only had a track car..................lol. Seriously, I think I over-abused my daily driver last time out with the SCMC track-demons!

There is a Sapphire Blue track car in East Tennessee that is still looking for a home!:D

Hazman
11-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Jimmy sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to seeing the Mystichrome ripping up the the esses!!!:bounce:

97CasperCobra
11-21-2007, 02:21 PM
need help?? Would love to get my hands dirty working on a 5.0

puzzle13
11-21-2007, 02:30 PM
......But Jimmy ... it was so much fun getting eaten up by you at MSR! We made the drive from NC ... yes, 2 days minimum. You should really come!!! VIR full course is unbelievable!!:D

JBoden
11-21-2007, 07:56 PM

Larry

Guys, Larry is absolutely right - this is definately a 2-day drive both ways. We need to leave Wednesday morning - buttcrack of dawn. We met at the new truck stop on 59 & 242 for breakfast and drove until we just could'nt go any more. (*Larry - we need to make reservations this time*)

:thumbsup: :eek: :thumbsup: :eek: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :eek: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :eek: :thumbsup: :eek: :thumbsup: :eek:

jimmysidecarr
11-21-2007, 08:16 PM
I really feel bad about this guys...

I would love to be able to return the favor and come East to run with you guys...

But I seriously hammered my track account/budget...
I need to get it back into the DARK RED ZONE.... .. That's somewhere between BLACK and RED.

The Navi is paid for in December... :D
I'll revisit the idea in a month or so... sometimes things change. :doubt:

Thanks for all the props!!! I do love tearing it up with you guys!!! :thumbsup:

Now.... if I could only come up with a used set of 17" Hoosiers.... ;) :D

Carl G
11-21-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm saving my change everyday for the gas money. Where would be a good place to spend the first night. I need tires and brakes. I better be good for Santa Claus. I paid off the Cobra this month, that was a nice feeling. Also I was checking the VIR site and it shows to have lodging there. Expensive? Any thoughts? Jimmy I want to see you in my mirrors at VIR. YOU CAN DO IT :thumbsup:

97whitevert
11-22-2007, 07:35 AM
I'd love to see all you guys come east to play!! It would be great to see Edmund, Mike, Jim, Jackie, Larry and meet all of the rest of you!

VIR has the lodge is which is about the same as the local hotel, and is quite nice.

Admiral
11-22-2007, 11:08 AM
There is a Sapphire Blue track car in East Tennessee that is still looking for a home!:D

Dude,

You said "OBO" and I gave you my "BO" lol. :thumbsup:

need help?? Would love to get my hands dirty working on a 5.0

Hopefully not much wrenching needed on the motor but you're welcome to help me with the brakes/suspension and other hundreds of little nagging items! Mucho gracias on the offer! :bounce:

JBoden
11-22-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm saving my change everyday for the gas money. Where would be a good place to spend the first night. I need tires and brakes. I better be good for Santa Claus. I paid off the Cobra this month, that was a nice feeling. Also I was checking the VIR site and it shows to have lodging there. Expensive? Any thoughts? Jimmy I want to see you in my mirrors at VIR. YOU CAN DO IT :thumbsup:

When Larry and I went to VIR a few months ago - we met up with Rick & Jayne in Tenn and then on to VIR. The hills in Tenn were scenic but hard on gas.

We returned to Houston thru a more southerly route and found it a much easier tow. In reverse it would be:

Houston
Shreveport, LA
Jackson, MS
Bham, AL
Atlanta, GA
Greenville, SC (stay the night)
Spartanburg, SC
Charlotte, NC
Greensboro, NC
Danville, VA & VIR

My front door to VIR was a little over 1,200 freeway miles.

The event hotel in Danville (8 miles from the track)was really nice with plenty of trailer space and the lodge at VIR looked beautiful from the outside.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Levi
11-22-2007, 11:21 AM
I am a maybe for now in hopes of enjoying an adventurous outing with a great round table of friends and fellow track junkies.

Carl G
11-22-2007, 12:44 PM
I am a maybe for now in hopes of enjoying an adventurous outing with a great round table of friends and fellow track junkies.

Save your nickel and dimes like me and you can do it :thumbsup: I would rather take the most economical route and less stress on the car than try to pull up and down on the mountains.

97CasperCobra
11-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Save your nickel and dimes like me and you can do it :thumbsup: I would rather take the most economical route and less stress on the car than try to pull up and down on the mountains.
+1...not sure if I'll be driving the Cobra or towing it....:(

Bartman01
11-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Houston
Shreveport, LA
Jackson, MS
Bham, AL
Atlanta, GA
Greenville, SC (stay the night)
Spartanburg, SC
Charlotte, NC
Greensboro, NC
Danville, VA & VIR

Why Greenville for the night?
Atlanta (or thereabouts) makes the trip 66/33 time wise.
Greenville is more 80/20 - or is that the idea.

Google Maps is estimating 16 hours to Greenaville, 4 hours from there to Danville (Atlanta was more 14/6). I can't tell what speeds it is using, so I don't know how accurate that is when factoring in towing vehicles. Do you remember the real time estimates?

JBoden
11-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Why Greenville for the night?
Atlanta (or thereabouts) makes the trip 66/33 time wise.
Greenville is more 80/20 - or is that the idea.

Google Maps is estimating 16 hours to Greenaville, 4 hours from there to Danville (Atlanta was more 14/6). I can't tell what speeds it is using, so I don't know how accurate that is when factoring in towing vehicles. Do you remember the real time estimates?

We need to get past Atlanta the first day - it's a good 10 hrs to Bham and another 3 to Atlanta - somewhere between Atlanta and Greenville would be ideal. :thumbsup:

gfcobra
11-25-2007, 10:08 PM
We need to get past Atlanta the first day - it's a good 10 hrs to Bham and another 3 to Atlanta - somewhere between Atlanta and Greenville would be ideal. :thumbsup: Jim,
When you went to VIR what was your average highway speed? Iíve driven to Meriden, Mississippi in 8 hours or less, however I was not towing.

97CasperCobra
11-27-2007, 11:02 AM
have updated the first post to include who's in, who's maybe and who needs to reply!!! :thumbsup:

Larry95
11-27-2007, 12:12 PM
When you went to VIR what was your average highway speed?We drove right at to a little over (2 to 3 MPH) the speed limit the whole way. We stopped for gas, potty and to eat. The more cars, the longer the stops will be. It's an easy two day drive, just have to stay after it.
Larry

97CasperCobra
12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
OUT....gonna cost me too much and I'll be saving for a house at that time. Sorry guys....:(

97whitevert
12-12-2007, 06:12 PM
OUT....gonna cost me too much and I'll be saving for a house at that time. Sorry guys....:(BUMMER!!!! I was looking forward to seeing you again!!:(

Carl G
02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Ok, were past the holidays, who is still in? I am committed still, the only thing that would prevent me from going is the Internal Revenue Service :eek: Hopefully should be ok there. Post up if you are still going.

gfcobra
02-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I am in, already signed up.

JBoden
02-07-2008, 09:10 PM
We're registered - hotel reservations made - YA HA :eek:

03 cobra toy
02-09-2008, 09:18 AM
out.... :(

New Job=No Play Time

Levi
02-09-2008, 05:31 PM
OUT....gonna cost me too much and I'll be saving for a house at that time. Sorry guys....:(
I'm out too, need to do some repairs to my house this year.

Larry95
02-11-2008, 08:04 AM
We're registered - hotel reservations made - YA HA :eek:Ditto
Larry & Eloisa

gfcobra
02-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Jim & Larry what hotel will youíll be staying at?

Gary

Larry95
02-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Jim & Larry what hotel will youíll be staying at?

GarySleep In and Suites. 434-793-6090. We're staying through Sunday night and start back on Monday morning. Plan to make it to the West side of Birmingham the first day and on in to Houston the next.

Larry

JoeJ
02-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Guys,

I will be attending the SCMC event at VIR May 30 thru June 1. I have hotel reservations at the Best Western Windsor Inn & Suites in Danville.

I would love to caravan up with a bunch of SCMC guys from Houston. Let me know what your plans are and hopefully we can hook up for the trip.

Sure looking forward to running VIR for the first time. It should be a blast. :thumbsup:

JBoden
02-23-2008, 12:57 PM
So glad you going Joe - you gonna love VIR :bounce:

At this point, we're planning to leave Houston on May 28th - meeting at the truck stop on Hwy 59 at 242 for an early breakfast. We plan to get to the other side of Birmingham,AL the first day and drive into Danville on the 29th.

ON TRACK on the 30th :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hazman
02-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I figure most of you will take the southeastern route through Atlanta and then up but if anyone wants to see beautiful east TN on the way over or back there are always extra rooms for SCMC folk at ancestral home of Clan McNutt!!:D

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of y'all at VIR this year!!:thumbsup:

JBoden
02-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Guys,

I will be attending the SCMC event at VIR May 30 thru June 1. I have hotel reservations at the Best Western Windsor Inn & Suites in Danville.

I would love to caravan up with a bunch of SCMC guys from Houston. Let me know what your plans are and hopefully we can hook up for the trip.

Sure looking forward to running VIR for the first time. It should be a blast. :thumbsup:

Jackie and Eloise are looking forward to more antique'n and taking in the historic sites while we're on track - hope your significant other can join them (just hide the credit cards) :eek:

JBoden
02-25-2008, 09:27 PM
:eek: For those going to VIR - I was just checking on hotel availability for our first-day stop (Between Birmingham & Atlanta). It appears we are competing with an event at Talladega and the hotels in the area are filling fast. When Jackie and I went to an SCMC event a couple of years ago at Little Talladega, we stayed in Oxford, Al - nice cluster of hotels. I started calling and four hotels are already full for that Thursday night (May 28th).

I found the Courtyard had rooms available, so Larry and I grabbed a couple.

Give them a call if your interested.

Courtyard By Marriott Anniston Oxford
289 Colonial Drive
Oxford, AL 36203 US
Phone: 256-831-7995 (or 1-888-236-2427 Toll Free from the United States)

Carl G
02-27-2008, 10:52 AM
:eek: For those going to VIR - I was just checking on hotel availability for our first-day stop (Between Birmingham & Atlanta). It appears we are competing with an event at Talladega and the hotels in the area are filling fast. When Jackie and I went to an SCMC event a couple of years ago at Little Talladega, we stayed in Oxford, Al - nice cluster of hotels. I started calling and four hotels are already full for that Thursday night (May 28th).

289 Colonial Drive
Oxford, AL 36203 US

You are talking about Wednesday night?

Carl G
02-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Signed up this morning :thumbsup:

Carl G
02-27-2008, 11:34 AM

289 Colonial Drive
Oxford, AL 36203 US

Deb and I are booked there also.

Larry95
02-27-2008, 12:02 PM
You are talking about Wednesday night?That's correct we're staying there Wednesday night.

Larry

gfcobra
02-27-2008, 01:44 PM
No problems making reservation at the Courtyard By Marriott Anniston Oxford they still have rooms.

JBoden
02-27-2008, 08:45 PM
You are talking about Wednesday night?
OOps! You're right Carl - it's Wednesday night, May 28th :eek:

Glad everyone getting in :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RF Cobra
06-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Jim, it was good to meet you and the others from the Texas group in person this weekend. I hope everyone has a safe trip back home.

I'm still working on the pictures we took, but should have some posted later this week.