PDA

View Full Version : which cold air kit?

Viperone
02-28-2002, 02:52 PM
I plan to keep my 01 Cobra N/A for awhile and wonder if anyone with MAC or BBK cold air induction system can tell me their opinion of product. Why $150.00 diff between the two??Suggestions? Is it worth the money over stock air w/KN filter?

cobragb
02-28-2002, 03:18 PM
Seems like a lot of our Cobra club members have a WMS CAI - Mass meter kit.

I have a Densecharger which connects to the stock mass meter that works pretty good and it is very inexpensive.

Maybe some of the other guys will jump in here.

Glen

cobrajg
02-28-2002, 04:19 PM
I have not used anything other then the Densecharger. I did have a problem were my filter fell off and had to put the stock filter and box back on. I could tell a major decline in the car. Once I got the new filter, it felt very strong again. I have recently added the maf to throttle body pipe and felt more improvement. I highly recommend it. John DeMolet is a great guy and will be more then happy to answer your questions. www.densecharger.com

bbone
03-06-2002, 03:50 AM
I installed March Ram Air Induction and am happy with the results...but didn't care for the fit of the scoop. It would have been better with a narrower scoop that would fit in the grill. I mounted mine passenger side in front right side back underneath the bumper. It looked more concealed when I color coordinated it to the car color. I have a conical K/N air filter in the stock housing. Now to extract the intake air with headers!

bbone
03-06-2002, 03:58 AM
My Cobra prior to mods.

Viperone
03-06-2002, 04:26 AM
Appreciate the input on cold air...still thinking about it

Mystic_Cobra
03-07-2002, 11:44 AM
No one mentioned the AFM powerpipe.

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

I'm planning to get one, but have not yet. I'm told it has been squeezed under the strut brace on several 96-98 Cobras.

sn8kbit
03-07-2002, 05:03 PM
i run the wms, noticed a difference, which to me justifies money spent. i absolutely hate spending money and not being able to "notice" the difference.

now i am looking at the densecharger upper portion of the tube, from a couple of folks i talked to, the whole setup kicks a$$....

wbpo
10-17-2002, 11:52 AM
Been fairly happy with BBK. Not to mention, it looks way better than anything else out there. More like a piece of chrome art under the hood.

It also has more of an "air flow analysis" design to it instead of just connecting point A to point B. My opinion.

Black98Cobra
10-18-2002, 11:17 AM
I have done testing on MAC, BBK, and K&N. First of all I want to say that I LOVE MAC's products. But bare with me. This the order I rank them in from best to worst:
1. K&N- you get more HP out of their cold air kit than anyother. True it is not chrome and instead plastic but there is a reason for it ( i will explain below). It is the lightest and plus K&N invented the 1,000,000 mile airfilter, they know it the best.
2. MAC- you get about 1 to 2 RWHP less than the K&N. It is also heavier because it is mostly chrome.
3. BBK- yes, by far it looks the best, but as far as performance goes, it is the worst. Since it is completely chrome (upto the throttle body), it heats up more than plasctic. The heat under your hood heats up the metal making BBK get the less hp out of them all and in some cases actually lose hp you alredy had. Yes, it does flow air a little faster to the throttle body than the others because it is meatal and it has a lower dragg coefficient, which in fluid dynamics is the greek symbol mu. But thermal fluids tells us that if the air is hotter then the air must be flowing a certain amount faster to over come the heat issue by using the thermodynamics equation pv=nrt. This may sound like bluh, bluh bluh, bluh bluh to you so you can take my word for it. if you want more specifics I can see if I can explain it in more detail. I hope this helps and answers your question.

wbpo
10-19-2002, 02:48 PM
I totally agree with your explanation in theory. The BBK should heat up more due to it's being all chrome. It does, take my word for it. I would be interested in actual dyno numbers to prove this though. just from the looks of the designs, I would think the air would not be in the tube long enough to heat up that much. Heat that is transfered should be negated by the better flowing design I would think.

To remedy any heat issues, I am looking into some type of thermal wrap to put around the BBK for performance. Then be able to remove for looks.

flynfink
10-19-2002, 07:19 PM
I put the WMS tube on w/ Pro-M MAF.

Works well and I went w/ the WMS that has the ceramic coating thats not supposed to heat up.

The Anderson pipe is supposed to be really good but IMO looks like a POS.

I like the idea of the BBK, no where near as many 90 deg. bends to reduce flow.

my $ 0.02 worth

Black98Cobra
10-21-2002, 09:00 AM
wbpo,
I would love to help you with the dyno graphs but I do not have them. I am a mechainical engineer and did it for my sake. I really had no intent on sharing my findings so I do not have the dyno print outs. All I have is the equations that I used to explain to myself why the hp of one was different than another. I am sure there are different ways besides these three but I got 25RWHP from a K&N kit and and a new mass air meter. Beleive me, that took A LOT of research to get that much because I know that is high. It will vary on every mustang so another may only a 15 or 20 RWHP change. I was lucky enough to get 25 though. I am trying now to get my dyno on here. Right now I am having scanning problems. I hope it will be up soon though.