PDA

View Full Version : question?

Alex951
11-26-2007, 02:26 AM
does anyone know how much hp the 99 cobra engine can handle?

ive got slp cat-back exhaust and a steeda cold air box.
what would be the next best engine mod i could do?
im also pretty low on cash. :(
what do u all think?

Lumpydogs
11-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Replace your gears with 4.10 or higher.

This won't increase hp but it will make your cobra get up and run. It will feel like you bumped up the hp.

Another less expensive mod that makes a minor improvement are underdrive pullies (3-5 hp)

sssvtcobra
11-26-2007, 04:31 PM
I had an '01 Cobra and here's the list that I did to mine. In order.

Cold air intake
Bassani catback
Bassani o/r x-pipe
Steeda underdrive pullies
Steeda timing adjuster
MGW shifter

Those are about all the bolt on's you can do, besides the rear gears. I ended up trading mine in before I did the gear swap. But I rode in a '01 that had the 4.10's that Lumpydogs is talking about and it felt like a totally different car! That car had about the same things done to it that mine did, minus the timing adjuster. Those are all cheaper to do than the rear gears. But they (gears) definately wake up the car!

Alex951
11-27-2007, 12:14 AM
THANKS!
time to look up some prices on a bunch of stuff
if i dont get it tunned it will mess with the speedo right?
i cant afford a tuner at the moment, theres places that tune for u right?

sssvtcobra
11-27-2007, 05:46 PM
With the above mods, it isn't a necessity to do a tune. But a custom dyno tune with all of the above mods can squeeze some more HP & TQ out of your car for ya. And yes, if you do the gear swap the speedo will be off. The best way to remedy that is to buy what's called the speedcal, the only place that I know of off the top of my head to purchase that is from Dallasmustang.com. It's less than $100, and you just plug it in to your computer give it the code for the gears that you have and it automatically recalibrates the speedo for ya.

venomnous99
12-04-2007, 02:59 PM
does anyone know how much hp the 99 cobra engine can handle?
Depends on the tuner, and how brave you are. Realistically, 450 to the wheels is a good number. I have been sitting right around 500 to the wheels for over 6 months now on a completely untouched motor that is driven daily. And I drive it like I stole it. But it has a good safe tune, 9-10 degrees timing, all the right fuel mods for much higher power, and only 7 psi, due to the turbos being more efficient. But still, I am probably on borrowed time, but hopefully it lasts till the funds and the timing come together.

As for the other quote, i agree completely with those above. GEARS really wake up these cars more than anything, IMO.:thumbsup: