PDA

View Full Version : SCMC/MGW Spring Drag Day @ "The Rock" -- March 22, 2008 -- Rockingham, NC

cobrabitn
11-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Official Registration for the SCMC/MGW Spring Drag Day -- March 22, 2008

The SCMC/MGW Spring Drag Day will be on March 22, 2008 and will be at a new location, Rockingham Dragway. We will have the same format as the Fall Drag day with the bracket races being grouped into 3 groups. The event starts at 9:00 a.m. and concludes at 5:00 p.m. The groups will be as follows:

1. SVT Lightning Bracket Race (Open to any type Ford Truck/non-member)
2. Men's/Women's Open Bracket Race (Open to any type vehicle/non-member)
3. SVT Cobra Club Bracket Race (Open to club members only)

Our goal is to have a $500.00 purse for each category of 2 and 3 but this is not guaranteed. Fee is $50.00 with a $10.00 discount for early registration for club members and participants who previously attended an SCMC Drag Day. Spectator fee will be $10.00 a person. Registration will begin on January 1, 2008 when the registration forms go up.

Concerning Bracket Racing Categories:

Category 3 is for SVT Cobra Club Members only in which members will be running against each other to see who is left standing. SCMC members who participate in the category 3 race cannot participate in the category 1 or 2 race. Club members must be driving a manual transmission SVT Cobra to compete and must have their membership current prior to the event.

Participants in the category 1 & 2 race cannot participate in the category 3 race so we do not have the same vehicle in both races taking both purses. This is set up to have a little club rivalry while still keeping the same format and giving both members and their friends an equal chance to win a little spending money.

The format is as follows:

Test and tune - 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.

During this time, you can grudge race some of your friends and non-friends.

Afternoon Bracket Competition -

See how good you are on knowing your driving skills and take home the cash to prove it. Once the competition is over, you will go back to test and tune while the awards are being figured out. There will be numerous awards and the ceremony is usually held around 4:00 to 4:30 p.m. Our rental ends at 5:00 p.m., you can stay all night for an extra fee.

We encourage all SVT Cobra & Shelby GT 500 owners to join our club and join in on the fun. The SCMC member that wins will be featured on our website and in our quarterly newsletter. (To join SCMC go to www.scmcstore.com and sign up on line.) Anyone who registers after March 1, 2008 will pay a $50.00 entry fee including club members. Car show participants will remain at $20.00 per entry.

You must be a club member in order to run in the "Cobra Club" race. Yes, we know if your membership is current and we hope you don't try to embarrass yourself by running in this race when you shouldn't. Your membership must be current prior to the event.

There will be a "Top 20" car show so we encourage you and your friends to come out and show your cars while watching the competition. The bigger the show turnout we can have at this event, the better the trophies will be to the winners.

Please help spread the word about our track event and car show.

If you have any questions, you can e-mail me at mrmach@comporium.net, thanks.

Sponsors so far include:

MGW www.mgwltd.com
Pro-Dyno www.pro-dyno.com
Macon-Moore Performance www.badassfast.com
Boosted Performance www.boostedperformance.net
Palmetto Pony Parts www.palmettoponysales.com

Sponsor Benefits Include:

1. 6 month banner on the forums
2. One sponsor car TBD by your staff (1 free car entry)
3. One driver and two crew people not to pay the spectator fee (anything over three and you'll have to add $10.00 a person.)
4. Logo on trophies if applicable
5. Listed as an event sponsor on the website (forums)
6. One free vendor spot for you to set up shop at the site

Official Paid Participant List:

Dan Dyszelski - 2007 Black GT 500 Coupe
Dan Dyszelski - 2007 White Chevrolet Avalanche
Steve McLaughlin - 2007 Black Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Coupe
Steve McLauglin - 2006 Black Chevrolet Silverado
Chris Chmielewicz - 2003 Silver SVT Cobra Convertible
David Cook - 2003 DSG SVT Cobra Coupe

Show Participants:

Chris Chmielewicz - 2003 Silver SVT Cobra Convertible

nckissfan
11-27-2007, 05:26 AM
awesome news:thumbsup:

red04svtcobra
11-27-2007, 08:07 AM
ME LIKE ALOT!!
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/lightning_015/smilies%20and%20funny%20pics/awesome1r.jpg

kevinflick03
11-27-2007, 09:50 AM
ME LIKE ALOT!!
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/lightning_015/smilies%20and%20funny%20pics/awesome1r.jpg
That's a pic of you,Chris..... :rotf:

red04svtcobra
11-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Awe man that was a low blow!!:D
I am glad to see that "The Rock" has been chosen. Should be a little closer for me too. I like the track and facility there, very nice and clean. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
11-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Fall Drag Day will be November 22, 2008. That was the best I could get for 2008 but hopefully next year they will move us back a couple of weeks earlier. But if we keep getting these 60 degree days in late November, it might not be so bad! :D

VenomSVT
11-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I like The Rock too!:bounce: I should have my intercooler by then!:thumbsup: Now all I need are some drag radials!

BadMoFo
11-30-2007, 08:56 PM
??? so no more jackson?

cobrabitn
11-30-2007, 10:27 PM
They never gave us a date...for next year. I hate it but we can't wait for 2 days before the event to plan our drag day and I told them that.

BadMoFo
12-01-2007, 02:45 AM
well always liked the rock. it may not hook like jackson but I think both are about the same distance, so got to drive either way. just glad to have a date so I can plan vacation. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
12-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Steve at the Rock is very excited about us coming there. They are also building another dragstrip in Augusta GA. Looks like we'll have plenty of choices sionce they are also building one in Charlotte, too. :thumbsup:

mkkrs1
12-01-2007, 12:50 PM
that's good to hear. hopefully they will prep better than on T&T nights

cobrabitn
01-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Registration form is in the first post. Edmond will get it in the store as soon as possible. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
02-04-2008, 09:12 PM
See page one/ post one for updated information. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
03-02-2008, 12:08 PM
List Updated! :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
03-13-2008, 11:24 PM
We will have a Nitro Funny Car at the event! Don't let the number of hits fool you, I mailed out over 150 flyers and Steve will be announcing the event this weekend as well as putting it out on his mailing list.

cobrabitn
03-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Your thoughts??

97whitevert
03-16-2008, 09:19 PM
is that how the car is going to look?

cobrabitn
03-16-2008, 09:34 PM
It's an 03 Sonic Blue Cobra, doesn't your car look like that? :scratch:

RF Cobra
03-16-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm not fond of hiding the SCMC logo...questions like "what's an SVT Cobr?" come to mind.

I think our logo should be prominently displayed. :D

Not sure about how the car looks, looks kind of like a ghost image in the picture.

nckissfan
03-17-2008, 06:15 AM
it looks good, I do agree about not hiding the club logo.

if that is supposed to be Lisa's car, it is not dirty enough:p

97whitevert
03-17-2008, 05:21 PM
it looks good, I do agree about not hiding the club logo.

if that is supposed to be Lisa's car, it is not dirty enough:p

Car looks blurry to me, hard to tell what color with or without dirt!!
:D guess it's my computer?

cobrabitn
03-17-2008, 06:16 PM
It's either your computer or you might want to take a visit to an eye doctor to see if you have problems determining which color is blue. :D

It's a "posterized" version of Rob's car but I went and put it back to full crisp color with the logo showing.

red04svtcobra
03-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Yeah the car does look to be dul in color in the photo above, almost grey. I have a brand new monitor so its not that.:D looks good otherwise.

cobrabitn
03-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Is this better??

97whitevert
03-17-2008, 09:02 PM
MUCH BETTER!!!! :thumbsup:

kevinflick03
03-17-2008, 10:54 PM
It's either your computer or you might want to take a visit to an eye doctor to see if you have problems determining which color is blue. :D

It's a "posterized" version of Rob's car but I went and put it back to full crisp color with the logo showing.

that's what's wrong. you are using Rob's car. i wonder if he will be driving it to the show...... :rotf: :rotf:

crxhybrid85
03-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Can I still register for this event?

VenomSVT
03-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Is this better??That would be cool if you could fit the club logo in the O in Rock!:thumbsup:

RF Cobra
03-19-2008, 08:42 PM
You can register at the event. To speed things up, go ahead and print out the registration form and fill it out and bring it with you Saturday.

Edit: Even better see the post below about signing up online. :)

Can I still register for this event?

cobrabitn
03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
You can sign up on line by going here:

http://www.scmcstore.com/store/product.php?productid=72&cat=0&page=

cobrabitn
03-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Perfect weather! :thumbsup: 75 degrees and sunny...

cobrabitn
03-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Congrats to Mike Keziah on winning the Terminator King award! :thumbsup:

red04svtcobra
03-22-2008, 11:20 PM
So who were the winners? Did anyone take pictures? Sorry I didn't go I was feeling kinda sick.

mkkrs1
03-23-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't think anyone took any pics. overall turn out was low and club participation was lower. I think there were 3 in the truck race, 6 in the club race, about 10-15 in the open race. I think there were 5 in the car show. Thanks to everyone that did come out to support the club.

scrmngdave
03-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Club participation was low for the event, maybe because of Easter weekend?, but a big thanks to Tony and the crew for putting on a nice event even with the low attendence. The racing was some good close runs, Mike and I were set for a good old fashioned drag race and congrats goes to him for winning. The track was well prepped, and the staff were more than nice to the participants. Can't wait for the fall run!!!

Dave

cobrabitn
03-23-2008, 10:45 AM
The turnout could have been better but for a first event, I was happy with the turnout we had. I think Easter had a lot to do with it and the lack of advertising could have been a factor. The three people who put the event on did a good job of keeping everything going. Thanks to Burke and Lauryn who helped me out! :)

Several people came up to me and agreed that Rockingham is the better location. Anytime you change locations, you can expect adjustments. Numerous people said they enjoyed themselves and would bring friends in the Fall. The facility is in a great location and the personnel was great. Steve, the owner, was extremely accommodating and he said he will work on it to be better for us in the Fall. When we first started Jackson, we didn't have but 35 people come out and it eventually built up to 90 so we'll just work on it for the November 22, 2008 event. I believe reaching 90 won't take us 6 years like it did in Jackson. Like Mustang Week, start small and eventually when people find out about the event, it'll grow!

Thanks to the club members and everyone else who came out and supported the event. I enjoyed watching the club race, it's always fun to see you all battling it out on the track. :thumbsup:

90fiveomustang
03-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi new here i`m from Rockingham the reason low turnout no one new about it.
the only reason i did was saw it in fastfords mag. next time put it in the local paper around here there are lots of mustang pepole here ... i thought the show and the drags were awsome my son had a blast except he didn`t like the funny cars to loud. anyway just wanted to say nice day love the stangs..

cobrabitn
03-23-2008, 05:31 PM
90fiveomustang,

Thanks for your input. The funny cars was a favor to Steve as he asked if it would be okay and we thought since we didn't know what to expect, why tell him no? Don't look for those cars to be there in the Fall. Once we get 60 or so cars coming out, it'll be just street racers out there. We have these events to help give our members a chance for some rivalry while trying to get some younger drivers to take the racing off the street. I will say a couple of our members didn't enter the bracket competition so we had more members there than 6. We also gained one new Cobra Club member and 4 others expressed an interest in becoming a Cobra Club member by taking membership applications or saying they would join on line.

If you would, give me a link to the local newspaper, and we'll subscribe to it so we can advertise locally. It also helps by word of mouth about the event so if you enjoyed it, please spread the word about our Fall event. One person from the Southern Fox Body Club came up and said he had a great time and would spread the word for us. I told him we could give them a "club" bracket race where you would have SFBC members competing against one another.

The potential is there for a bigger event so any constructive suggestions are very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

The weather was perfect...the event was fun with plenty of track time for your $$.

Thanks,

Tony

90fiveomustang
03-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Heres the link www.yourdailyjournal.com (http://www.yourdailyjournal.com) . And i`ll spread the word . The thing I like about the day was everyone i talked to was very cool and nice not a bunch of drunks and buttholes ... and of course i`m partial to the mustangs the only reason i went .. I didn`t know those supercharged mustangs were that fast i was impressed i`m now looking for one for my foxx.(kenne bell) hopefully in the fall i can run my car. On a side note we looked for something to drink and all we could come up with was a drink box that wouldn`t take my money ? the snack bar was closed maybe someone was selling somthing and we missed it.. but overall We enjoyed ourselves anyway ...

cobrabitn
03-23-2008, 07:45 PM
You are right about the concession stand as they opened at 2:00 p.m. and that's too late. I'll see if we can get them to open up at 11:00 a.m. It was our first event there so we'll work out a few of the bugs... :D

mkkrs1
03-23-2008, 08:41 PM
You are right about the concession stand as they opened at 2:00 p.m. and that's too late. I'll see if we can get them to open up at 11:00 a.m. It was our first event there so we'll work out a few of the bugs... :D+1 :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
03-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Trust me...this is faster than most can get the list up there. :D

Drag Day Winners:

Terminator King - Mike Keziah
Runner-Up - David Moore

Lightning Winner - Steve McLaughlin

Open Bracket Winner - Aaron Stiles
Runner-Up - Kenny Lyte

Best Reaction Time - Ed Justin .199

Best in Class 15.0 and Up - Dan Dyszelski (15.136)
14.0 - 14.99 - Dave Eller (14.473)
13.0 - 13.99 - Frank Estro (13.078)
12. 0 - 12.99 - Chris Chmielewicz (12.105)
11.0 - 11.99 - Charles Brooks (11.254)
10.0 - 10.99 - Jerry Garris (10.176)
9.99 and under - 1955 Chevrolet Coupe

Car Show Winners:

Jason Costa
Chris Chmielewicz
Phillip Cox
Ray Cox
Jerry Garris
Tony Hussey

asperformance
03-31-2008, 10:31 AM
I disagree on that reaction time, I cut a .024, .083, and a .007 Light on my last Pass to win the open class, the old GT 500 was pulling hard, on the brakes at 11,80 at 94 MPH easy 11,40 pass. I had a good time, and I think with better advertisement you will have way more turn out, maybe also talk to Travis at SVTP and see if he will post it on his board for you as, their is a bunck of cobra guys on his site.

cobrabitn
03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Yes, you may have had a better reaction time but the way we do it is if you win in one class, which I am sure you did (first place?? 4 foot trophy and $250.00 in cash), then we go to the next person that is eligible for that class. It stops people from going home with numerous awards while others go home empty handed.

We have had situations where the fastest car won about 3-4 awards and others who came close went home without anything. Hence, that is why if you win in one class then we don't allow you to win in another. Does that make sense? I'm sure you can understand the logic in it... We don't let club members run in the open class so we can spread the fun around and vice versa. It's tough trying to be fair and as an organizer, we want everyone to feel good about themselves when they leave the event. We have been doing it this way for years and it will take a little getting used to but in the long run, you will agree it is better to spread the cheer around. I truly hope you had a good time at our first "Rock" event. :)

I will add that your Shelby was one of the most consistent snakes I have seen at the dragstrip. I don't know anyone on SVTP but anyone on that site is welcome to attend our events.