PDA

View Full Version : Priceless Race Weekend II

Mephisto
11-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Well,

I drove the Cobra for the first time since Nationals on it's monthly 4 mile drive to work and back.
About 1 mile in, the car began to make horrible grinding noises, and the whole front of the engine is vibrating. I think and hope it is not inside the engine itself. It sounds like a destroyed bearing somewhere on the supercharger belt, perhaps the alternator.
Anyone familiar with this type of problem?

Levi
11-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Maybe water pump? :dunno:

svt t3
11-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Check the idler pullies. The bearings can go bad. They can make a nasty noise too.

03 cobra toy
12-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Check the idler pullies. The bearings can go bad. They can make a nasty noise too.

+1 :thumbsup:

I changed my pulleys to Billet flow.... No more SC belt problems :thumbsup:

http://www.billetflow.com/supercharger_pulleys.htm

ORANGE CRUSH
12-03-2007, 07:58 PM
So Henry, what was the out come? Did you find out yet?

Twice Bitten
12-03-2007, 09:18 PM
So Henry, what was the out come? Did you find out yet?

What he said! :scratch:

Mephisto
12-04-2007, 11:46 AM
No time to deal with this problem yet. This weekend I plan to pull the SC belt, and start spinning pulleys. Start the car and see what it sounds like. If it still grinds, I will go deeper into water pump, or inner belt, or other directions.

Evilcartman
12-05-2007, 12:29 AM
I washed my car and then waxed it before Joe Myers. Since I didn't start it for two days after washing the engine, I rusted up a bearing in my BF idler. I replaced it last week and the sound went away.

Mephisto
12-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Yes,

I washed my car on the way home from the track and put it away wet for a long period. That seems like a mistake now.

97CasperCobra
12-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I washed my car on the way home from the track and put it away wet for a long period. That seems like a mistake now.
:nope: should have let me detail it

wait...MINE'S hasn't been cleaned since the track event..... :(

jimmysidecarr
12-05-2007, 03:10 PM
No time to deal with this problem yet. This weekend I plan to pull the SC belt, and start spinning pulleys. Start the car and see what it sounds like. If it still grinds, I will go deeper into water pump, or inner belt, or other directions.

Henry

You can locate the bad bearing with the engine running easier.... IMHO

Use an extra long screw driver or equivalent solid devise ... and touch the center bolt or mounting bracket of the suspect part.

Hold the handle of the screw driver to your ear... If you have a stethoscope with a long probe that would work even better.

The loudest one is the bad one.

Mephisto
12-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Yes,

I used a long screwdriver to check the valves, etc. but I am too chicken to stick a screwdriver into the center of some of those pulleys with the car running. I would likely shoot the thing into my skull. The biggest vibration seems to come from the alternator. I know when I wash the car the alternator gets soaked and I have already replaced one unit.

SuperG
12-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Yes,

...I am too chicken to stick a screwdriver into the center of some of those pulleys with the car running. I would likely shoot the thing into my skull...
If that does happen, can I have your camera mount?

jimmysidecarr
12-05-2007, 05:48 PM

That's just WRONG!!! :D

Mephisto
12-06-2007, 10:26 AM

No, but you can have my jack and jack stands. It always seems like you could use a set as your cars seem to spend more time in the air than on the track. :eek:

97CasperCobra
12-06-2007, 10:56 AM
No, but you can have my jack and jack stands. It always seems like you could use a set as your cars seem to spend more time in the air than on the track. :eek:
oh wow....that's so WRONG and yet so FUNNY at the same time!!!!
:lol: :rotf: :lol:

SuperG
12-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Ha!! Well, that's the truth ain't it!!

jimmysidecarr
12-06-2007, 09:44 PM
On a slightly less confrontational level... :rolleyes: :D

A 1 1/2' section of heater hose(or any 5/8" to 3/4" hose) will also work as a proximity mono-stethoscope... you put it up to your ear and then just get it close on the noisy end.

That should be a little safer for ya.