PDA

View Full Version : tranny popping out of 2nd

wrapumup
12-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Is this a common problem? What needs to be done, I hope not a full rebuild. I just got the car, it only happens occasionally and I can't really give real instances yet. Like ford was asking, does it happen on accel, etc...

cobrabitn
12-05-2007, 10:05 PM
The popping out will not happen when you accelerate but it will happen when you let off the throttle or are coasting...you have a bad synchro in the transmission or your shifter is not adjusted correctly. Try the shifter first since it is the easiest and then the tranny is next. :(

wrapumup
12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the info! I hope it is not the tranny. If it is, wonder what is the best way to go? Would this be another post. Rebuild or I have seen some guys say get a tremec 6 spd, do they make one for the 96 cobra. I don't even know what is in there, pretty new to mustangs and all of this.

cobrabitn
12-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I believe they have a 6 speed for the 96 model year. There is a little more to it then popping the tranny in but nothing that couldn't be done by a competent performance shop.

ProfChaos
12-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Is this a common problem? What needs to be done, I hope not a full rebuild. I just got the car, it only happens occasionally and I can't really give real instances yet. Like ford was asking, does it happen on accel, etc...

My '96 Cobra used to pop out of second, but, for the most part, the problem stopped after I installed a B & M Short-Throw Shifter (http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=3&subcat=15&pid=129). (My Cobra had been banged around for 30K miles or so by the previous owner, so the previous owner had probably just knocked the shifter out of adjustment, hence leading to the B&M short-throw shifter solving the problem.)

Also because of the previous owner's abuse, the transmission is still a little tricky to get into reverse (you usually need to pull forward a bit in order to drop it into "R"). Even so, since installation of the B&M short-throw shifter, the transmission very rarely pops out of second. In short, I can live with it until the next clutch replacement, when I'll also have the transmission rebuilt/replaced.

cheers,
--Professor Chaos