PDA

View Full Version : '03 Cobra overheating

KSYSVT
12-11-2007, 09:30 PM
1st time poster. i have a 2003 cobra that has a stock heat exchanger, ported supercharger, cold air intake, full magna flow x-pipe exhaust, bbk long tube headers, and accu fab throttle body spacers.
my car was sitting still idling when the temp hit the H on the temp gauge and my radiator reservoir blew out steam and fluid came out from underneath the car. so i cranked it and let it idle and i turned my heater on high and let it set for about an hour and then my temp droped and my car ran fine the rest of the night, this is the second time this has happened. does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

tazzracing1
12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
You may need to burp it. Maybe the tremostat is sticking??

Big T
12-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Have you recently changed the coolant? How long ago did it happen before? Mine did this after a coolant change and it had air in the system. You are not alone, a lot of people have had this happen with their cobras. Also the thermo may be sticking like the previous post said. Any other problems with your car? Is it running O.K.?

KSYSVT
12-12-2007, 02:59 PM
i bought a new thermostat but i didn't know whether i needed a 195 degree one or a 180 degree. which would ya'll recommend?
i haven't changed the coolant in it but i have changed the intercooler system but i didn't change the coolant in it. it was about a week ago when my car over heated for the first time and its been about 4 days since the last time, and it seems like it is running fine now, but i'm still worried about it happening again.

puzzle13
12-12-2007, 07:54 PM
When I changed my Radiator overflow tank with an aftermarket one, I got a large air bubble and it wouldn't open the thermostat. Make sure you add water at the nipple at the front of the motor and burp it using a funnel. There were great instructions to me on a previous post. (I tried to find it, but it is from October so someone else may know how to find it. It was titled "Burping my Baby" if I remember correctly.) In essence open the nipple on the front of the motor, fill with distilled water or coolant, put medium sized funnel in nipple as tight as possible and fill 1/4 full with coolant. Start motor and let run until thermostat opens, then continue to run as bubbles come out for 10+ minutes... and you may see a bunch. Then cut off engine and allow to cool. Suck any extra coolant out of funnel and replace nipple. Check coolant in Radiator overflow when pressure is gone. You should be good to go.

I have a 185 degree thermostat and that is pretty good.

KSYSVT
12-13-2007, 04:45 PM
whats the best way to burp an inter cooler? and what are the steps in doing this?

RF Cobra
12-13-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14909&highlight=Burping+baby

:thumbsup:

There were great instructions to me on a previous post. (I tried to find it, but it is from October so someone else may know how to find it. It was titled "Burping my Baby" if I remember correctly.)

m571032
12-13-2007, 07:55 PM
purging the air from your intercooler is not near as important as the air from your cooling system. Coolant for your intercooler is pumped via electric pump so just start your car and let it idle and begin filling your intercooler resevoir as it fills you will see coolant coming back to the tank. once your to the proper level your done. Drive the car a little and re-check your level in the tank if its at the same level good if its a little low top it off. You really can't damage anything if there is a little air in the intercooler as long as your not hard core racing right after doing this. good luck purging air from the engine thats the important part! I have yet to have the pleasure of trying.