PDA

View Full Version : Money for more Horsepower & Suspension

mfelice03
12-16-2007, 09:52 AM
For a 10 sec car....

What are the best mods to do to get more HP out of a car when on a $6k budget after all the simple after market bolts-ons have been added (MAF, airfilter, pipes, dual-pass radiator, race chip, fuel injectors, DRs)? A new supercharger? Cams? Turbo? Gears?

What about suspension/frame upgrades for a drag strip car? Rear diff cover or brace? Sppt for frame of car? Solid rear axle?

:dunno:

blk04cobra1
12-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Given your budget and if you've got 60lb injectors and new fuel pumps, then either a Kenne Bell or Whipple (running 17-20lbs of boost), full length subframe connectors, springs and shocks, diff brace for sure....the stock halfshafts have supported 10 sec runs, but if there's anything left over then DSS Level 5 halfshafts or a built solid...there's plenty of things you can do on that budget...I mean really some ported Eaton cars with Nitrous have run 10's, just depends on how deep in the 10's you want to go :thumbsup:

mfelice03
12-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the note, I hadn't thought of the axle upgrade but found the level fives on sale for 1399. What gears would you recommend, right now I have stock?

blk04cobra1
12-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the note, I hadn't thought of the axle upgrade but found the level fives on sale for 1399. What gears would you recommend, right now I have stock?
The stock gearing on our cars (3.55) usually puts you through the traps in 4th gear, which helps eliminate useless shifting or miss-shifts...but a 3.73 or 3.90 is also a good 1/4 mile gearing...IMO 4.10's are too much gear for our cars, but if you're setting it up for 1/8th mile runs then it is more benefitial...a built solid axle will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500, depending on which components you choose and if you can find a 8.8 solid housing for cheap...the level 5's IMO keep the nice ride the IRS provides over the solid axle (but if you're going to be tracking it a lot, then a solid rear is the better solution).

mfelice03
12-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. I'm planning to take the car in on Wed to talk about setting it up with the KB 2.6, level 5 axles, diff brace and bushings, full length s/f connectors. I also need to look into a roll cage. From there, it will depend on how much money I have left.

Can't wait for Spring!!!:bounce:

blk04cobra1
12-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it. I'm planning to take the car in on Wed to talk about setting it up with the KB 2.6, level 5 axles, diff brace and bushings, full length s/f connectors. I also need to look into a roll cage. From there, it will depend on how much money I have left.

Can't wait for Spring!!!:bounce:
Very nice, good luck with your setup...who's doing your work? On the cage, find someone in your area that does a custom setup...do a 6pt with swing outsw on the doors :thumbsup:

mfelice03
12-17-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm going to Excessive Motorsport in Manassas, VA. They're about 10 miles from my house. I'll talk to them about the cage, I'm sure they'll know someone who will do a good job if they can't. Thanks again :)

spincobra03
12-17-2007, 10:59 PM
with only 6k for a budget u can forget about a turbo but definetly a twin screw as mentioned above, although with only 6k you might not have a lot left over for the important supporting mods for a 10 second car, but youll def be on your way. AND PRO-DYNO RULES

blk04cobra1
12-18-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm going to Excessive Motorsport in Manassas, VA. They're about 10 miles from my house. I'll talk to them about the cage, I'm sure they'll know someone who will do a good job if they can't. Thanks again :)
That's a good choice in that area...heard some good things coming out of their shop lately :thumbsup:

mfelice03
12-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks again, more to follow tomorrow night. The other thing I've heard is worth looking into is getting the cylinder heads ported. Not sure how much that might cost though.

blk04cobra1
12-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks again, more to follow tomorrow night. The other thing I've heard is worth looking into is getting the cylinder heads ported. Not sure how much that might cost though.
most likely around $1500 or so...if you're not pushing a ton of boost or high horsepower, stick with stock heads and cam...save your money for something else (unless you just want the sound from the cams).

mfelice03
12-19-2007, 09:17 AM
That's good advice. Someday maybe down the road when I get new cams + the ported heads. Much to be done before then though!

mfelice03
12-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Just got back from Excessive. With the current setup, the car dyno'd at 486 hp w/max torque of 477 on a dynojet. I bought the KB 2.6, Spec 3+ clutch, full s/f connectors, IRS brace and rear diff bushings. They're going to do 2 tunes on the car, one around 500 hp and the other at around 615 hp. I also decided to get the 3.90 gears. The only thing I need to decide now is to either get a roll cage or the lvl 5 axles because I can't affort both right now. The car will be done in January, I can't wait...:)

blk04cobra1
12-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Just got back from Excessive. With the current setup, the car dyno'd at 486 hp w/max torque of 477 on a dynojet. I bought the KB 2.6, Spec 3+ clutch, full s/f connectors, IRS brace and rear diff bushings. They're going to do 2 tunes on the car, one around 500 hp and the other at around 615 hp. I also decided to get the 3.90 gears. The only thing I need to decide now is to either get a roll cage or the lvl 5 axles because I can't affort both right now. The car will be done in January, I can't wait...:)
Do the level 5's now...forget the cage until you're running low 10's or high 9's :thumbsup: ...

mfelice03
12-20-2007, 06:10 PM
You're probably right...that and I'd feel bad if I can't take my boys for rides with them in the backseat. I'm going to order them tonight. I found them for at Lightning Force for $1399 to include the hub upgrade. The car is going to kick a#%! Thanks for your advice, I definitely feel I did the best upgrades with the money I had.

blk04cobra1
12-20-2007, 09:16 PM
You're probably right...that and I'd feel bad if I can't take my boys for rides with them in the backseat. I'm going to order them tonight. I found them for at Lightning Force for $1399 to include the hub upgrade. The car is going to kick a#%! Thanks for your advice, I definitely feel I did the best upgrades with the money I had.
no problem man, with these upgrades you should have a reliable 600+rwhp beast on your hands...:thumbsup:

William
12-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Is 6k your whole budget for parts and labor? 'Cos if that's the case, forget about the TwinScrew. Excessive will charge you over a "Grand" for the install and tune.:cheers:

mfelice03
01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Torey was really helpful, the KB 2.6 and tune was a little under $4k.

spincobra03
01-06-2008, 11:03 PM
nice price

blueblazes
01-22-2008, 02:51 AM
did mm do the work for you or did excessive? Either way MM does great work and are great bunch of guys. Theyve done work for me and wouldnt have any prob recommending them:thumbsup:

Id say forego the level 5's and go solid axle. The lvl5's are 1500ish by themselves and are still known to break. Solid axle has their daddy!

blk04cobra1
01-22-2008, 07:26 AM
did mm do the work for you or did excessive? Either way MM does great work and are great bunch of guys. Theyve done work for me and wouldnt have any prob recommending them:thumbsup:

Id say forego the level 5's and go solid axle. The lvl5's are 1500ish by themselves and are still known to break. Solid axle has their daddy!
He's using Excessive up in VA, there is a Tory up there too...I met them down at MustangWeek this past year and they seem to know a little bit about what they are doing ;) :thumbsup: