PDA

View Full Version : Rear Caliper Problem

oldguy
12-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Hello to all. I am currently in the process of replacing my rear brake pads (I also just finished reassembling my new rear suspension). Anyway, per the manual you cannot use a C-clamp to push the piston back into the rear caliper. I have the tool required to turn the piston clockwise, but, the piston will not move (neither of rear caliper pistons move).

Has anyone run into this issue? If so what is the solution?

Thanks in advance,

Oldguy

98 Cobra Convert 100K miles

03slidewayzSVT
12-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Yep!! Its a b!tch too...Easiest way for you is the use your c-clamp pushing the piston in..At the same time use a pair on channel lock pliers on the piston spinning the piston clock-wise...Once you get it started you can pull the c-clamp off and use the square tool the rest of the way in....:thumbsup: It alot of fun:rolleyes:

oldguy
12-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the info and the rapid response... that makes good sense. I will use the technique and let you know.

oldguy
12-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Well I took your advice and it worked - thanks. And yes, it was difficult. Looking at the manual it shows that the o-ring is at the end of the piston, so the morale of the story is “don't let your rear pads get too low, so the piston doesn’t get too far out of the caliper”. Thanks again for the help. :)

03slidewayzSVT
12-26-2007, 08:32 AM
No problem, I'm glad it worked out good for you....:thumbsup: