PDA

View Full Version : Oil coming out of throttle body

srochefort
12-28-2007, 07:50 PM
First let me explain what I have done, and also say that I know it wasn't the smartest thing to do, so please don't flame. I have a 99 Cobra and I put a S/C on it from and 03. My car had 99,000 miles on it at the time. Everything seemed to be ok and running fine. I took it to get it tuned and they were reluctant because there was no intake temp sensor. (99 was not equipped with one). So he gave me a "safe" tune and told me not to run it hard.

2 weeks later I was at VIR... After the second day I suddenly lost power so I pulled into the pits. My boost gauge had come disconnected and I was leaking oil out of the filter (JLT cold air in the fender). So I drove it home and started hearing a knock, checked oil and nothing on the stick. Filled it with oil and drove rest of the way home. About halfway home it then started smoking real bad.

I took the CAI off and saw the oil was coming out of the throttle body. Checked the plugs and one was really covered in oil and seemed to have metal shavings on the plug. I am assuming that it's a piston or ring. Would this cause the oil to come back out of the throttle body? I am considering just buying a new shortblock, but I want to make sure that this is the cause and not have to replace something else too.

SO I guess the short question is, what would cause smoking, loss of power, and oil to come out of the throttle body?

brkntrxn
12-28-2007, 09:54 PM
I highly suggest you have your car towed to a competent shop that has experience with DOHC Eaton-swap cars.

In short, it could be any number of things. A compression check would be the first thing a shop will do and that will be the starting point.

PM me if you have any questions or need a good shop.