PDA

View Full Version : 99 cobra convertible

hvcobra99
01-01-2008, 09:28 AM
This is a three part question
how much is same color paint job?
If my car is lowered with eibach pro springs and adjustable tokico shock should I go with Mid length or full lenth headers and with they match up with my MAGNAFLOW x-pipe and catback.

Last question should I get a bump steer kit and by who?

ProfChaos
01-04-2008, 02:29 AM
This is a three part question
How much is same color paint job?

If my car is lowered with eibach pro springs and adjustable tokico shocks, should I go with mid-length or full-length headers, and will they match up with my MAGNAFLOW x-pipe and cat-back?

Last question should I get a bump steer kit and by who?

I have Eibach lowering springs (Pro Series, Street) and five-way adjustable Tokico shocks (with UPR caster/camber plates), and I didn't need a bump-steer kit. Even so, if you are going to be driving the lowered Cobra on the street, I would strongly advise that you not go any lower than 1-and-1/2" with the Eibach kit. Even at that, you will likely still need to be very careful on uneven pavement and in parking lots and driveways that contain speed bumps. Otherwise, your very expensive exhaust might get knocked loose through time, after several scrapes on high pavement.

Regarding the headers, on 4.6L modular motors, this tends to be a fairly costly job ($700-plus in labor, plus another $600 or so for a decent set of ceramic-coated headers). And, unless you are an expert at removing-and-reinstalling Cobra motors, installing headers is not something that you would want to attempt on your own. The K-member must be dropped as the car is raised on a lift, and this can be real pain in the butt for the novice. This is not a job that your local muffler shop would attempt, nor would you want to have them try. :)

Some people on this forum might argue that adding headers is not really worth it in terms of the potential pain in the neck it can be, since the stock headers on Cobras are halfway decent. Even so, "life is a zero-sum game" (George Carlin), and I love the way that my mid-length Bassani headers make my Cobra sound. I am also willing to accept that they can be a financial pain in the neck if they ever develop a leak at the heads.

Perhaps other members of the Forum have more to offer on whether or not it is worth it to add headers, and on what length would be best-suited to your '99 Cobra.

cheers,
--Professor Chaos