PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do NASA TT?

93Hatch
01-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I know my vehicle, '03 GT, classifies for the TTE class (which is what I may plan on trying to do). I've read the rules up and down, and I realize that I will have points added for my borla catback (which, if I do decide on going to try TTE, then I may just put the stock system back on), K&N FIPK, and my 275's out back.

Knowing this is a Mustang, practically stock, what kind of brake pads work well with the Mustang? I recently installed some OEM-style Wagner rotors from the autoparts store. Running stock brake pads for the most part and stock brake lines.

Being that I want to go out there with the least amount of mods, I'm really trying to stay in the TTE class. I've read up on class changing, that up one class is when you go over 19 points. The main question I have about the TT rules is what do they mean when they say, "...two (2) ** denotes a 14 point initial assessment that is added to the total number of modification points to determine the final competition class"? Does that mean even though my car is classified in TTE, that I already have 14 points on the car and I only have 5 points to play with if I wish to stay in the same class?

I don't know, I'm trying to get up to speed on this race-wording stuff. I have not even been to a full scale road course. I did some small circuit stuff before, but nothing where you can really go over 70mph. It was like a paved auto-x course.

My car is due for a brake pad change, upgrade to SS brake lines, brake fluid flush, clutch change (60k on the stock setup), flywheel change (since that is a "free mod" for TT), and tranny fluid change.

I'm trying to find out the best pads for my Mustang, best SS brake hoses, what type of brake fluid to go with and the best style clutch and lightweight flywheel. I will determine my gear ratio after filming my first few events and getting track specs for everything in this region.

I wanted to ask the pro's here since you all know more than I do and can guide me towards the path of knowledge with my car. If I end up liking the whole sport, I may go with a track-only car or one that I just drive to the track and back (no DD duties).

Thanks for your help everyone. I've tried to do research on the topic, but there is just so much misleading information out there, I wanted to get the scoop from those with good experience.

(Most of these mods I've wanted to do for a long while, so it isn't a spur of the moment type thing. I would like better pedal feel, hence the SS lines. The clutch/flywheel thing came up because it is close to being due, and I might as well do it right the first time. Brake cooling ducts may be on the list as well and replace my fog lights, which I don't use anyway.)

jimmysidecarr
01-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I recommend doing at least 2 or 3 HPDEs before moving on to time trials.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

I think starting in time trials would be biting off too much... I think you will learn faster and get faster doing instructed HPDEs.

Without a doubt you will get more enjoyment for each dollar spent.

Pads..

Stay with a high performance street pad.... like

Carbotech --->Bobcats 1521(streetable) all the way around. http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs#4

Hawk----> HPs all the way around

Performance Friction-----> Z rated all the way around

Porterfield ---> R4-S all the way around

Eventually when running race only pads and hopefully a Cobra front caliper and rotor upgrade the rear compound will be 1 click down from the front compound.... though this may not apply to all brands.

Make sure your rotors are seasoned and your pads correctly bedded in! This is more important than the brand selection.

Bedding and seasoning--> http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5902954#post5902954

Seat time is the most awesome and effective mod available! :thumbsup:

johnbasf
01-03-2008, 05:58 AM
You'll need to ne in the "adavanced" group to do TT.

93Hatch
01-05-2008, 12:46 AM
I recommend doing at least 2 or 3 HPDEs before moving on to time trials.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

I think starting in time trials would be biting off too much... I think you will learn faster and get faster doing instructed HPDEs.

Without a doubt you will get more enjoyment for each dollar spent.

Pads..

Stay with a high performance street pad.... like

Carbotech --->Bobcats 1521(streetable) all the way around. http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs#4

Hawk----> HPs all the way around

Performance Friction-----> Z rated all the way around

Porterfield ---> R4-S all the way around

Eventually when running race only pads and hopefully a Cobra front caliper and rotor upgrade the rear compound will be 1 click down from the front compound.... though this may not apply to all brands.

Make sure your rotors are seasoned and your pads correctly bedded in! This is more important than the brand selection.

Bedding and seasoning--> http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5902954#post5902954

Seat time is the most awesome and effective mod available! :thumbsup:

I'm planning on trying to attend the NASA event on Feb 9-10. I've been doing research on it. To race in Nasa TT, you need a NASA license...so I have to do the HPDE's.

I went to Hawk's website, and they have the HPS and the HP Plus. I'm guessing you are talking about the HPS pads. I can find HP Plus pads all over the place, the HPS is proving to be difficult to find (at least the rears).

jimmysidecarr
01-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm planning on trying to attend the NASA event on Feb 9-10. I've been doing research on it. To race in Nasa TT, you need a NASA license...so I have to do the HPDE's.

I went to Hawk's website, and they have the HPS and the HP Plus. I'm guessing you are talking about the HPS pads. I can find HP Plus pads all over the place, the HPS is proving to be difficult to find (at least the rears).

The HPS are a more street friendly pad. HP+ are streetable also but may be noisier and will dust more. Hawk dust is slightly corrosive(I run Chromies on the street which is why I care about that)... though they do make pads that really do bite well.
I've had really good luck with the Carbotech pads and will soon be changing my street pads over too.

Since you are still running GT/V6 brakes I would not spend a lot of money on upper level pads. After you have some events under your belt you will likely want to upgrade to Cobra/ Mach 1/ Bullit brakes (2 piston PBR calipers and vented rear rotors).... or maybe even the 2000 Cobra R 4 piston Brembo calipers w/ the same Cobra/Mach/Bullit 13' Brembo rotors.

Point being.. upgraded brakes will take different pads.

For sure do the brake cooling ducts first, they do not need to be altered if you upgrade later on, AND-----> they will let you get away with less than optimal brakes for a lot longer than you could without them.
Less chance of boiling brake fluid, and the pads will last longer too.

Where I got mine.. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295546

:thumbsup:

93Hatch
01-06-2008, 09:23 AM
The HPS are a more street friendly pad. HP+ are streetable also but may be noisier and will dust more. Hawk dust is slightly corrosive(I run Chromies on the street which is why I care about that)... though they do make pads that really do bite well.
I've had really good luck with the Carbotech pads and will soon be changing my street pads over too.

Since you are still running GT/V6 brakes I would not spend a lot of money on upper level pads. After you have some events under your belt you will likely want to upgrade to Cobra/ Mach 1/ Bullit brakes (2 piston PBR calipers and vented rear rotors).... or maybe even the 2000 Cobra R 4 piston Brembo calipers w/ the same Cobra/Mach/Bullit 13' Brembo rotors.

Point being.. upgraded brakes will take different pads.

For sure do the brake cooling ducts first, they do not need to be altered if you upgrade later on, AND-----> they will let you get away with less than optimal brakes for a lot longer than you could without them.
Less chance of boiling brake fluid, and the pads will last longer too.

Where I got mine.. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295546

:thumbsup:

Excellent. I appreciate all the help Jimmy! I just ordered some HPS pads from TireRack (the only place I could easily find them) and they will be here this week. I don't mind spending some $$ for pads because I just got new rotors this year. There are currently no plans for bigger brakes. The next step are cooling ducts. I'm trying to find the hoses myself then I'll fab up the bracket.