PDA

View Full Version : Picking it up tonight!

spf1410
01-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Hello gang!

I'm picking up my 2003 Cobra tonight, I can't wait. These are beautiful vehicles and I'm looking forward to owning and enjoying it.

Being new to this particular vehicle, what recommendations can you share with me? What are things unique to this car that I should know?

Thanks!

sssvtcobra
01-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Hey SPF1410, I posted in your other thread. But the only thing that I know of on the '03's to look for is the head tick problem. You should be able to go to a local dealership and see if the head got swapped out under warranty. The '03's and a some of the early '04's had a head tick problem, that Ford replaced under warranty. It's been said that if the head as been replaced it will have a blue dot of paint on the passenger side head (head affected), but that's not always the case. So the best thing to do is have a dealership look it up. If your not close to a dealership, you could give me the VIN, I've got kendall Ford pretty close to me, and friends with alot of people down there.

What's been done to your new toy if anything? Good to see a fellow Oregonian :bounce:

spf1410
01-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Picked it up tonight- home safe and sound. It'a a very well kept original car with just over 17k miles. Inspected last week, it appears to be sorted out all around.

Wow, these are really COOL cars!

My car is white like the photo in your post. I'm looking forward to much enjoyment.

PS- Thanks for the tech info. Luckily I've got a best pal that's a master tech. for Ford; and he's not far away.

sssvtcobra
01-06-2008, 03:42 AM
:eek: WOW only 17K. That's awesome! Glad to hear you got it home ok. Where are you at in Oregon? And where did you pick it up at?

:ttiwwop:

red04svtcobra
01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
We need pics!!! :D

Big T
01-06-2008, 06:05 PM
You will love the cobra! Just to let you know, once the mod bug bites, you are infected for good until you sell the car. Research your mods with others before you buy and it is worth it to spend a little extra for better parts. Also, Don't hit the throttle hard with the traction control on :eek: ! I made that mistake. Enjoy your new car. :thumbsup:

spf1410
01-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Picked it up in Beaverton, we live in SW Portland. Low miles=:D

:eek: WOW only 17K. That's awesome! Glad to hear you got it home ok. Where are you at in Oregon? And where did you pick it up at?

:ttiwwop:

spf1410
01-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Also, Don't hit the throttle hard with the traction control on :eek: ! I made that mistake. Enjoy your new car. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]Please explain?

spf1410
01-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Picked it up in Beaverton, we live in SW Portland. Low miles=:DWill have pictures soon mates!

JROC
01-08-2008, 04:45 AM
Also, Don't hit the throttle hard with the traction control on :eek: ! I made that mistake. Enjoy your new car. :thumbsup:

Please explain?Do it one time and you will understand. Making full power, and then no power in a split instant makes you fell like you hit a wall, and its potentially dangers when your trying to get out of someones way or something. I imagen its not very good for the car either. The way the T/C works on a New Edge Mustang is it will let the tires spin until it senses sideways movement(which all foxbody based cars like to swing their rearend out) then it basically kills the power. I had my T/C removed in a tune, it doesn't make anything safer with the car.

My recommendations would be to get a rearend brace, and some good subframe connectors as your first mods, and to enjoy the car. Also if/when you start to get into some wheelhop let off the throttle ASAP. :thumbsup:

sssvtcobra
01-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Ya traction control is not fun when your accelerating very fast onto an on ramp with a corner. I did that once, and thought my car just broke in half. It slammed me so hard into the seatbelt, I thought I cracked some ribs. Now I just make sure to turn it off when I get in and start the car.

Subframe connectors are a good idea as well. They really stiffen up the ride, and help reduce the wheel hop. With you living in Beaverton, you got a couple of shops nearby that do nothing but Mustangs. Blue Oval Performance in Vancouver, and Krazy Koncepts Performance there in Beaverton, the owner Allen has a nasty '03 Cobra.

m571032
01-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Good for you man! The 03-04 cobras are the best performance car for the dollar. One thing you should be aware of is what Ford called " Poor Power on deceleration". My 10th anniversary has this problem from time to time. What happens is you start having fun driving your car briskly and hard into corners and every now and then when you apply your brakes quikly and hard say for when a traffic light changes and you have to stop the engine will just shut off. It usually only happen if you hit the brakes hard and depress the clutch at the same time but I have had it happen while driving agressively thru corners. It can be corrected by telling your local ford dealer and they will reprogram your computer or if your getting a custom tune notify your tuner of this and he can fix it. Ford says it should only cost an hour of labor. It can be dangerous should you encounter this heading hot into a corner. The only problem I have had is looking stupid after blowing someguys doors off and they having to explain I didn't shut the car off after doing so. Hope you enjoy your new ride the car will never get boring.:thumbsup:

spf1410
01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the information guys. I've been out of town for work and have only had a few drives in the car; but I love it so far!

As for mods- well I'm not sure yet. I'm a bit old school actually. I like the fact that this car is bone stock. It will get a few tweaks though.

Here's the funniest part though guys- I've got three brutally fast cars including this one, but I don't drive fast! It scares the heck out of me- I admit it! Hey, even so= I enjoy driving them every bit as much as those that press the pedal a bit harder.

You guys are great, thanks again for the welcome. As soon as the weather clears in Portland I'll post some photos.

Jim