PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger upgrade options

poolman
01-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I am looking at either a Ford Racing Whipple or a Kenne Bell supercharger upgrade. Can anyone share their opinions about either? Looking for low 500 rwhp and street drivability. Thanks :D

xinepi
01-06-2008, 06:04 PM
I am looking at either a Ford Racing Whipple or a Kenne Bell supercharger upgrade. Can anyone share their opinions about either? Looking for low 500 rwhp and street drivability. Thanks :D

i'm partial to kenne bell

Big T
01-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Both are great. Low 500's will be a breeze. The 2.6 KB or the 2.3 whipple will work fine. The kenne bell has a louder whine. If you get the KB you will need a single blade throttle body. Just make sure you get the other mods to go with it: Fuel pumps or BAP, injectors, Mass air upgrade are the minimum. The installation acn be done on your own if you have a little mechanical skills. You need a good tune to go with it of course.

blk04cobra1
01-06-2008, 09:18 PM
If you're looking for low 500's, just port your stocker and add an upper and lower pulley...why put the money in to a Whipple or KB if you're not gonna push it a little? Good luck either way...

puzzle13
01-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Low 500's is really easy with the Whipple. You could probably just upgrade injectors when you install and use the pulley that comes with the Whipple (3.5" I believe and 13psi of boost) and you would probably get over 500. The Whipple has no whine ... at least mine doesn't. It is also much more efficient than the Eaton. Never the less ... you will still need a Mass Air Sensor and a tune. If you go to 15 or 17 pounds of boost you will need more upgrades depending upon what you are using it for. One huge difference in the Whipple and the Eaton ... the Eaton starts to plateau on power around 6000 rpms where the Eaton keeps on going as long as you want to push it!

JROC
01-08-2008, 05:03 AM
If your just looking for a 500 whp Cobra then I would just port the blower, and add all of the boltons, and a good tune. Of course with a screw blower you will be able to make 500 hp with less boost and heat. Also from my understand the KB wine isn't what it use to be with the old 2.2's, but I've also heard that their pretty loud on GT500's running them at boost levels that only require pump gas. :what: (I'm not that smart on the subject I guess) I'm looking to skip the port and add a Whipple sometime this year myself. :)

Here is a Cobra with a 2.8 KB.
YouTube - 2.8 KB Cobra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBotJp7bqcw&feature=related)

poolman
01-08-2008, 07:21 AM
If your just looking for a 500 whp Cobra then I would just port the blower, and add all of the boltons, and a good tune. Of course with a screw blower you will be able to make 500 hp with less boost and heat. Also from my understand the KB wine isn't what it use to be with the old 2.2's, but I've also heard that their pretty loud on GT500's running them at boost levels that only require pump gas. :what: (I'm not that smart on the subject I guess) I'm looking to skip the port and add a Whipple sometime this year myself. :)

Here is a Cobra with a 2.8 KB.
YouTube - 2.8 KB Cobra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBotJp7bqcw&feature=related)

You boys need to be careful out there! I am going to do the Whipple.

poolman
01-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Both are great. Low 500's will be a breeze. The 2.6 KB or the 2.3 whipple will work fine. The kenne bell has a louder whine. If you get the KB you will need a single blade throttle body. Just make sure you get the other mods to go with it: Fuel pumps or BAP, injectors, Mass air upgrade are the minimum. The installation acn be done on your own if you have a little mechanical skills. You need a good tune to go with it of course.

Big T

I am going to have Amazon Racing in Anderson SC pretty much put in the same setup that you have.

This car is being purpose built with good HP numbers and lower boost levels...more on the plan later. :D

Thanks for all the info guys, decision made...checks are in the mail.
Got a new 0% credit card for when I go over budget... :thumbsup:

Big T
01-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Amazon is great. They dyno tuned my car when I had an eaton about 2 years ago. I had to have another shop tune my whipple because I had some install problems and I live so far from ATS. Rick will get it right for you!

InfamousSVT
01-10-2008, 07:52 PM
+1 for Amazon, they did the tune on my Whippled Cobra. I also had a KB before the Whipple. The Whipple made 25+rwhp than the KB did on a lower boost level. They also do porting for the Eaton if you are just wanting to stay around 500rwhp, but you may as well go with the Whipple cause after a few months of 500rwhp you'll be wanting more. Changing a pulley is a lot easier than having to go through the blower swap again.

Good Luck :thumbsup: