PDA

View Full Version : NASA Peeps

93Hatch
01-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Been asking this question all over the net it seems, but I have yet to get an answer still.

I want to attend NASA HPDE 1 @ MSRH.

I have the tech form. Where do I get the car tech'd at?

I will get the medical form done.

Also is there anything else I need to be aware of for my first time?

I am planning on getting a new helmet, even though my old bike helmet is up to the task, it is just a bit too heavy for car use. It just barely passes with a snell 1990 rating.

I do plan on getting driving gloves too.

Thanks. :D

Admiral
01-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Here's my two cents worth and my recollection, I've raced or done HPDE with NASA since 2001:

No medical required for HPDE. That's for your racing license. If you intend to race, tell them you want to do so and they'll make sure you get into the Comp. Licensing program called RaceCraft (your HPDE time counts towards this goal so tell them ASAP if that's what you intend to do). Still no medical required until you apply for your Competition License. The NASA folks are great and will do their best to get you where you want to go.

On the tech inspection, we used to do our own. If you have a buddy who's going, you do his car and have him do yours. NASA will tech you again at the track usually, looking for the basics like brake fluid, lug nuts tight, car cleaned out, hubcaps/trim rings removed, etc etc. Don't count on the NASA Tech guy catching everything, use the tech form and do a good job of policing yourself.

HPDE is a blast, bring a helmet and a well-prepped car and a "good learning attitude" and have a blast all day. Check your lugnuts between sessions and also check your brake pads often, especially on the second day. Make sure you drink fluids, even if you're not sweating between rounds you are really working harder than it seems.

If you have a car with any traction control I recommend turning it off while heading out on track but there may be other opinions on this one.

Oh, and did I mention "HAVE FUN!!"?? As most on these boards will attest, it is addicting..... :thumbsup: