PDA

View Full Version : Car over heating?

tcchubb
02-18-2008, 10:50 PM
So tonight i am out riding around when i look down at my gauges and see that my car's temp has climbed up way high(almost to the little bar before the H). so i pull over and check for leaks. i see that the coolant is bumbling out the top of the radiator. other than this there are no other leaks. so i continue my search and notice that my fans where not coming on. so i took my tuner and made sure the fans where set to come on and i even lowered the temp to 180 on. well after all of this the fans are now working. so i think i have fixed the problem and i take it back out to see if it does it again. the temp is now sitting normal for about two red lights(one mile) when it starts to start climbing and fast. i stop at a light and pull into a parking lot that is at the light. by the time i get parked and shut the car down(10 secs) the temp had climbed all the way to the H. I am thinking my thermostate is gone and i was wanting to get you guy's ideas before i bought this and i could of been something else. thanks in advance for all info.

tony

cobrabitn
02-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Sounds like a thermostat to me but there could be other items such as a hose collapsing, etc...

97PGCobra
02-19-2008, 10:02 PM
If it's not the stat, it could be a bad water pump. If you take the cap off, does it look like the fluid is circulating once it gets up to operating temp??

tcchubb
02-19-2008, 10:13 PM
ok after replaceing the thermo and bleeding all the air i could out of the system it still is running hot so the shop i took the car too thinks it is the water pump. i will drop the car off tomorrow to get that replaced and hopefully it is.

tcchubb
02-20-2008, 01:33 PM
just got back from test driving the car. the guy at the shop told me it was not the water pump that my head gaskets were blown. i called bs and took the car for a test drive. at first it was fine. drove it for bout 5 mins and it was fine. but then i took it futher down the road and it started to over heat real fast. stop for bout 20 mins letting it cool down and took it back to my apartment. the place wants $1.816.58 to replace the head gaskets.WTF.is this a good price, i don't think so but i will ask around and could this be my problem. if so looks like the cobra is out of service for a long time.

tcchubb
02-24-2008, 12:39 AM
well installed the radiator today and drove the car something like 120 miles and it never got over half so i do believe it did the trick. thanks for all the help.

ProfChaos
02-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Sounds like a thermostat to me but there could be other items such as a hose collapsing, etc...

Cobrabitn makes a good point.

If a modular Cobra cooling system has not been opened, drained, and re-filled without having a proper vacuum pulled on the system at the cross-over tube's port (something which could cause an air bubble that would lead to the sort of thing that tcchubb experienced), the four main questions to be answered are usually

1.) Is there a collapsed hose? (an easy visual inspection)
2.) Is the cooling fan operating normally? (a failure that could be caused either by the fan itself--or its connections--failing, or by the CCRM relay module or its dedicated temperature sensor failing)
3.) Is the thermostat opening?
4.) Is the water pump circulating coolant through the system?

cheers, :cheers:

--Professor Chaos

jlg32281
03-09-2008, 09:57 PM
If a shop told you it was a blown head gasket, they might be right. There is a sure way to test it and it's really cheap. Autozone lends the tool to test it, a block tester. You just buy a bottle of the blue solution that goes in the tool for around $5. It will take 5 minutes to test it. It test the coolant for exhaust gases. I highly suggest doing this just for peace of mind. A bottle of the solution usually comes with enought to do about 10 test, it's great to have around especially when you're buying a used vehicle (I found out the hard way that you should test a car before you buy). As far as the price to change them out, it is normally very expensive, but you can do it yourself for less than $300. Test it!

9Cobra9
03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Too if you check the oil it will look milky looking most of the time if you have a blown headgasket

97PGCobra
03-09-2008, 10:25 PM
I think I read on another site that it was his radiator. Is that right, or was it someone else

tcchubb
03-11-2008, 12:14 AM
I think I read on another site that it was his radiator. Is that right, or was it someone elseyour right that was me. did the air bleeding thing like 100 times. did block test and they all said it was fine. finally it was the raditator. now i have drove the car enough to need a oil change and it is fine. thanks for all the help guys.