PDA

View Full Version : How to get specific info using my VIN

billystick
03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I have a '99 Cobra and I am looking to purchase a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. In '99, according to the Centerforce guy I talked to, Ford switched the gear or plate (can't remember from my conversation unfortunately) from 10.5" to 11" (or vice versa).

I am ordering this clutch in the US and having it shipped to a friend who will bring it up to Canada for me (it is less than 2/3rd's the price in the US plus no 14% sales tax!), so I want to make sure I get it right on the first try. How do I find out which gear or plate my Cobra has? I assume it can be determined from my VIN, correct? Is there a website where I can punch in the VIn and get the info I need?

Thanks a lot in advance!

PS: I assume this is what determines whether I need the 1" 1/16 spline size or the 1" 1/8, correct? (this is essentially whjat I am trying to determine...I think :dunno:)

ProfChaos
03-05-2008, 11:54 PM
I have a '99 Cobra and I am looking to purchase a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. In '99, according to the Centerforce guy I talked to, Ford switched the gear or plate (can't remember from my conversation unfortunately) from 10.5" to 11" (or vice versa).

I am ordering this clutch in the US and having it shipped to a friend who will bring it up to Canada for me (it is less than 2/3rd's the price in the US plus no 14% sales tax!), so I want to make sure I get it right on the first try. How do I find out which gear or plate my Cobra has? I assume it can be determined from my VIN, correct? Is there a website where I can punch in the VIn and get the info I need?

Thanks a lot in advance!

PS: I assume this is what determines whether I need the 1" 1/16 spline size or the 1" 1/8, correct? (this is essentially whjat I am trying to determine...I think :dunno:)

The fifth clutch kit down on the following page is a clutch kit for a '99-'04 SVT Cobra:

RacePages.com Centerforce Clutch Kits for Ford (http://www.racepages.com/products/?N=1616+886)

The sixth kit down at the above hyperlink is a 10-spline kit, even though it is reported to also be for a '99-'04 SVT Cobra. It's my understanding that the '99 Cobra clutch kit is 26-spline, as in the fifth kit down. RacePages.com offers a "Contact Us" hyperlink at the top of the page, so you could always call them or send them an e-mail message, to be doubly-sure. :thumbsup:

(**Note: The throw-out bearing is sold separately. I would advise that you go with the highest-quality throw-out bearing that they have for your car. More specifically, I had a King Cobra clutch and pressure plate installed in my '96 Cobra; it is a fine clutch and pressure plate (much better than OEM), but the throw-out bearing from the Ford Racing King Cobra kit was noisy as all get-out. However, during a recent re-build of the transmission, the garage installed a better throw-out bearing, and the annoying clattering noise when the car was in neutral has all but disappeared. A high-quality throw-out bearing is definitely worth the extra money.) :)

cheers, :cheers:
--Professor Chaos