PDA

View Full Version : A lap at GrandSport Speedway!

Exige
03-16-2008, 12:06 AM
I made a trip out to Grandsport speedway today for an event that the Lotus club was putting on and thought I would give a review of the track for you guys.

Grandsport is at the same location that we used to run the events at StangBang many years ago. The track is under new ownership and has been completely revamped. All of the old track surface was removed (along with all the junk that was out there). The configuration is completly new with all new track surface that is only about 6 months old. They are currently working on a second circuit that can be combined with current (1.4 mile) circuit to make the track 2.7 miles in length.

The good, the bad and the ugly:
1. Track surface is great and the layout is challanging. Its a fun track.

2. There is not much for facilities yet, just a few portacans. They say they will soon have full facilities and covered parking.

3. Transitions off the track are rough in spots, some spots have a 5-6 inch drop off. This is supposed to be fixed in the near future. I just played it safe in those spots.

All and all I had a great time and the track is extremly entertaining, would love to run it again, but would be happier if they fixed the off track transistions.

Video of one lap: (right click save as, about 18MB)
http://www.printingdigital.net/barry_lap.mpg

Admiral
03-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Nice report, thanks for sharing! Back in my one Stangbang day the track was a debacle, I'm glad they not only repaved it but moved the heavy equipment hiding in the 5 ft weeds.

Great to have another facility close to Houston. Any timeframe given on the upgrades? Did the track look like a DE only type setup or could it host race events in your opinion? Those corner-worker stations (blue awnings) look a bit precarious.

Oh, forgot to mention: Very cool lap video. Thanks for sharing!

Exige
03-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Nice report, thanks for sharing! Back in my one Stangbang day the track was a debacle, I'm glad they not only repaved it but moved the heavy equipment hiding in the 5 ft weeds.

Great to have another facility close to Houston. Any timeframe given on the upgrades? Did the track look like a DE only type setup or could it host race events in your opinion? Those corner-worker stations (blue awnings) look a bit precarious.

Oh, forgot to mention: Very cool lap video. Thanks for sharing!I have no idea on the time frame of the upgrades but you can contact them through thier website at http://grandsportspeedway.com/.

As for racing, I think the track may be a bit short in its current configuration, Im running 56-57 second laps and would probably be a good 2-3 seconds faster with a bit more time on the track. Once they complete the addition circuit I would say it would be a good place to Race.

Exige
03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Here so more video from grandsport that edmond wanted me to post up. These laps are from my 3rd session so there not as fast as some of the stuff later in the day, but is one of the few sessions I have both video and data from my datalogger.

Pretty cool video though, but about 400 megs.. My server is extremely fast so you should be able to download in under 10 minutes if you have cable internet.

http://www.printingdigital.net/grandsport.mpg