PDA

View Full Version : found my battery draw

redlinedesire
03-15-2008, 11:19 PM
found it by accident. it had me puzzled for a few months. i had the negative cable disconnected and had the voltage meter negative cable touching the negative post and negative cable and wiggled this wire and the meter started go all over the place from 0 to 12.66. this is the culprit now i gotta figure out how to fix it . so if anyone knows
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb205/redline_026/DSCN0204.jpg

jimmysidecarr
03-16-2008, 01:52 AM
Aftermarket car alarm???:dunno:
A bad diode or two or three in the alternator diode plate can cause the fields to remain energized even with the ignition off.

Is this on the 03? The 03/04 Cobras do not exactly have a stellar reputation regarding alternator longevity.

redlinedesire
03-16-2008, 09:06 AM
it is a 03 i just replaced the alternator cause it had a bad diode . so that what caused the fusible link to go bad . so going about fixing the link you have any idea what i have to . never had to do this type of repair.

jimmysidecarr
03-16-2008, 02:24 PM
it is a 03 i just replaced the alternator cause it had a bad diode . so that what caused the fusible link to go bad . so going about fixing the link you have any idea what i have to . never had to do this type of repair.

I don't believe it's too difficult, though I'll ask some techs at work.
I'm pretty sure you just match the gauge and length and solder in a new one.