PDA

View Full Version : Head Rebuild Question

SuperG
03-21-2008, 10:10 AM
And another update...I finally got the whole story from the shop that has my '03...they are certain it's a head problem and can be as simple as a bad spring to requiring a full rebuild.

Their quote for the rebuild, including removal and re-installation of both heads is $3100-$3800.

Does anyone know of a place here in the Houston area you would trust for this kind of work?

Thanks for the help!

jimmysidecarr
03-21-2008, 08:14 PM
And another update...I finally got the whole story from the shop that has my '03...they are certain it's a head problem and can be as simple as a bad spring to requiring a full rebuild.

Their quote for the rebuild, including removal and re-installation of both heads is $3100-$3800.

Does anyone know of a place here in the Houston area you would trust for this kind of work?

Thanks for the help!

Gary I hate to say it but that sounds like they do not have one single clue as to what is wrong with your car. :doubt: I could be wrong but cylinder heads and burned valves are far less common than burned pistons on these cars.

Did they do the bore-o-scope as you asked?
Were the cylinder walls in unburned/good condition?
Did they confirm there are no melted pistons or broken upper rings or ring lands?

In order to confirm that a cylinder head is the problem they would have had to have checked the bad cylinder at TDC with both valves closed. Then they would had to have pumped in air and heard air leaking past the valves(or pistons through the crank case).
They should know at this point if it is an exhaust valve or an intake valve, because of where the air would be leaking to.
Which is it?

Being an early 03 car I would put the updated revised head assembly on instead of rebuilding an early head.

If indeed it is a head.

If you find that the answers to the above questions are not easily accessed and already known, I would yank the car out of there and take it where Joe Johnson had his R done. He had a cam gear bolt fail on his DOHC 5.4 and had a rebuild done.
I believe he used Houston Performance. I would PM him or call him and see if he'll recommend them and if he could put a good word in for you. I would mention that you know him.

Other possible repair places..
Strickly's
Slater's
Fastlane
PSI

I should quit the parts business and open up a shop with a dyno specializing in Modular Fords. :rolleyes: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ORANGE CRUSH
03-22-2008, 12:57 AM
What shop is it at now?

Are you going to bring it to Orange?

SuperG
03-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Yes they did use a bore-o-scope and found nothing out of the ordinary.

"...TDC with both valves closed. Then they would had to have pumped in air and heard air leaking past the valves(or pistons through the crank case)."

Past the valves, absolutely nothing past the pistons - they are positive

"I should quit the parts business and open up a shop with a dyno specializing in Modular Fords. :rolleyes: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

No kidding!!

And Todd, if it were an engine rebuild, I would definitely take it to Orange!!

jimmysidecarr
03-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Head pricing in PM.

redlinedesire
03-22-2008, 05:13 PM
man for that price i believe you could buy brand new heads fully assembled and installed for about the same price.

jlg32281
03-23-2008, 12:12 AM
surf the classifieds on forums and find some good used heads for much less. That's too much money for that when there are plenty of good used heads out there for a lot less.

SuperG
03-23-2008, 10:35 AM
surf the classifieds on forums and find some good used heads for much less. That's too much money for that when there are plenty of good used heads out there for a lot less.
Well, for about $1500 new, I'll probably go that route, however, out of curiosity, I'll go ahead and look...