PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions

olycobra97
03-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Two of my buddies drive E36 M3's and they run seafoam through it fairly often to clean it out. anyone used this on a modular 4.6? Just wondering if would help or hurt anyting. Second Question. How much and how hard is the trany swap to t T56 six spped on an SN95 Cobra?

SuperG
03-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Regarding the seafoam...a lot of folks have used it and have had great results.

2092CobraMadeIn98
03-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Regarding the T-56, there is really no need for it when it comes to yours or mine cobra. If your dead set on it you can do it but, you will need a new drive shaft. I wanted to put a T-56 in mine, I asked my friend Steve (he works at Ford and works for Team Mustang there). Anyhow upon asking him he said there is no point.
1)It's a lot heavier
2)5th gear is your overdrive and simply a T-56 isn't needed for ours car.
I still want to get a T-56 because I have a 4:10 gear, and having some issues with my T-45, and it would awesome to have a T-56,ha! But its not really needed.
To answer how hard it is, it depends. You will need a lift of some sort...but once you have clearance issue solved its just a matter of taking bolts off. If your dead serious on this I can get you more in depth detail for you from Steve. To my knowledge it should fit in perfectly fine no issue besides the drive shaft.
Take Care

jlg32281
03-31-2008, 09:08 PM
I think it's a good idea, especially if you plan on building your car. The T45 is the weakest link in the cobra drivetrain. You have to get a different shaft or have yours shortened, most shops can shorten a shaft for a reasonable price. The T56 bolts right up. The other thing you will have to mod will the the support, it has to be moved back. You will have to drill new holes for it, but only two holes. The rear holes will be the new front holes, drill the new holes based on that. It's really no big deal. I say go for it. I wish I had the money. If you buy a used T56, you can probably do it for under $1k.

As far as the seafoam, I've tried it more than once on my car when I bought it, which was just a few months ago. When I got the car, it had 90k on it, but it runs great. I sucked it up through the pcv hose. It died a few while doing it. I let it sit for about 30 min, then took it for a drive. It seemed a little more responsive, but no big improvements. I'm not even sure it helped at all, I think most people expect something so they feel something, the power of suggestion is great. I still think it's a good idea just to keep the intake clean. I definitely don't think it can hurt. Give it a try, it's only $5 at Wal-Mart. I've heard amazing things about it, just haven't had the same luck, but for $5 I was willing to try it, and will try it again.

olycobra97
04-01-2008, 04:06 AM
well i thing ill just try the seafoam just because...as for the T-56 i really wanna do it, i to have 4.10's and just get tired of toping out at 120 its lame. and another question are any of you having your tranny pop out of reverse. it's like it doesnn't go into gear all the time and just grinds and kicks its self out. I HATE IT

PETSNKE
04-01-2008, 06:11 AM
If you have a considerable amount of miles on the car, you might want to just spend a day to take the intake off to clean the IMRCs.

Here's a great How-To write up:
http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/media/pdfs/tech/IMRC_Cleaning.pdf

SuperG
04-01-2008, 07:59 AM
well i thing ill just try the seafoam just because...as for the T-56 i really wanna do it, i to have 4.10's and just get tired of toping out at 120 its lame. and another question are any of you having your tranny pop out of reverse. it's like it doesnn't go into gear all the time and just grinds and kicks its self out. I HATE IT
Arrgghh!! Yes...I have that problem, too, and I know many others who also have that. I hate it! But I have not found a fix for it...except to replace the tranny with a T-56!!

jlg32281
04-01-2008, 09:52 PM
If it were me, I would leave the T45 in until it goes out or becomes almost impossible to shift. In the mean time, I would surf forum classifieds for a T56 and a shaft or find a shop that will shorten yours for the best price. Then when your T45 does go out, you will have what you need to replace it. Ebay usually has a few T56's. I can't wait until my T45 goes out, then my wife won't be able to tell me no.

brkntrxn
04-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Your car tops out at 120 in 4th with the T45 and 4.10s. With a T56 your car will still top out at 120 in 4th with the 4.10s. 4th gear in both tranny's is 1:1, the only thing you are gaining with a T56 is a taller first gear, two overdrive gears and a couple more pounds.

The stock T56s are only rated at somewhere around 450hp, you can have your T45 built by ProMotion to handle way more than that.

olycobra97
04-03-2008, 12:44 AM
i didn't realize the T-56 still had fourth as the 1:1 gear. If so then no it wouldn't help i guess...and yes it does top out around 120 to 125 i love the shorter time up to that speed but it gets old having to quit every race at that speed....Do any of you recomend going with an aluminum drive shaft. i've about exhausted my options for power bolt ons and i still have more money and want to maybe start reducing weight...any suggestions