PDA

View Full Version : Why Jay Leno says he does not want to be part of the US Top Gear...

Bartman01
03-30-2008, 11:25 PM
An interesting read. Seems he is afraid of what will happen that show when the sponsor driven 'reality TV' crazed US network gets done with it.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/features/article3638037.ece

Firme
04-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I think his concerns are warranted.

SuperG
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
I totally agree! British humor from Americans won't work with our panzy political correctness.

gtdrivr
04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
OK, OK....I'll do it. I'll even be nice, and take 1/2 of what Jay would demand anyway. Problem solved. Let's start shooting immediately.

Admiral
04-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Leno already has his show, let some other up-and-coming talent take the reigns. Besides, the show is supposed to be about the cars right? I just hope they don't turn it into a NASCAR clone show, backing pickup trucks between cones while hooking up a boat trailer etc etc.

FWIW, I love Top Gear because of the hosts, so I'm already contradicting myself lol. I used to make sense, or so I thought.........

texaswrx
04-04-2008, 10:23 AM
It seems as though I read somewhere about Adam Corolla doing the show? I agree, let someone else do it. Speedvision has been 90% ruined with Nascar, which I just cannot stand. And, who is the genius that throws in Bobsled Racing once in while on Speed????:mad:

Bartman01
04-04-2008, 01:37 PM
It seems as though I read somewhere about Adam Corolla doing the show? I agree, let someone else do it. Speedvision has been 90% ruined with Nascar, which I just cannot stand. And, who is the genius that throws in Bobsled Racing once in while on Speed????:mad:

Adam Corolla is doing the show. Dan Neil (Pulitzer Prize-winning automotive writer for the Los Angeles Times) is also rumored to be involved but no indication if he will be a host or just behind the scenes.

As to Speedvision, it got bought by Fox a few years back and is now rebranded as SpeedTV. The new owners have killed off most of the real racing coverage and refuse to show F1 in 16:9 unless you have DirectTV and have the HD feed. This is annoying since it is SHOT in 16:9 and watching it cropped to 4:3 you frequently lose a lot of the action (based on my viewing of both the 4:3 SpeedTV coverage and the 16:9 ITV coverage of the same race).

Admiral
04-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Well, I'm a diehard NASCAR fan (since 1979) but I can't stand all the NASCAR oriented junk on SPEED either. They'd talk about Tony Stewart's bathtub ring if they could get a money shot of it. Maybe the bobsled junk is tossed in there due to the "NASCAR" connection with former driver Geoff Bodine designing a sled or two years ago, does it matter to anyone really? With that said, I avoid pinks and setup also. Just my two cents worth, way too orchestrated for my taste.

Why they can't just show racing like they used to do I'll never know. I used to love the old F1 reruns (a chance to see Michael Schumacher early in his career, Piquet, Mansel, Senna, and the rest), the Austrailian V8 Supercar series, etc etc. Sure they make an attempt to cover ALMS and Grand Am but that's only barely. I also enjoy their coverage of the motorcyle racing (both domestic and international). Maybe the unified open-wheel IRL/CART/Whatever they're gonna call it will get back to decent racing soon. One can only hope.

Top Gear on BBC America rocks IMHO. Sure, it's not racing, but at least there is a genuine attempt to drive the cars (some really great cars!) at speed, some humor and a timed segment.

Angel
04-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, I'm a diehard NASCAR fan (since 1979) but I can't stand all the NASCAR oriented junk on SPEED either. They'd talk about Tony Stewart's bathtub ring if they could get a money shot of it. Maybe the bobsled junk is tossed in there due to the "NASCAR" connection with former driver Geoff Bodine designing a sled or two years ago, does it matter to anyone really? With that said, I avoid pinks and setup also. Just my two cents worth, way too orchestrated for my taste.

Why they can't just show racing like they used to do I'll never know. I used to love the old F1 reruns (a chance to see Michael Schumacher early in his career, Piquet, Mansel, Senna, and the rest), the Austrailian V8 Supercar series, etc etc. Sure they make an attempt to cover ALMS and Grand Am but that's only barely. I also enjoy their coverage of the motorcyle racing (both domestic and international). Maybe the unified open-wheel IRL/CART/Whatever they're gonna call it will get back to decent racing soon. One can only hope.

Top Gear on BBC America rocks IMHO. Sure, it's not racing, but at least there is a genuine attempt to drive the cars (some really great cars!) at speed, some humor and a timed segment.
Doing an Americanized Re-Take of Top Gear is not going to be the same as the British one. These Producers should be original and come up with their own Content - lol.

Yes, I agree, whatever happened to simple coverage of the Racing Events. Albeit some politicization of such is entertaining, it is my observation that it is all for the TV Ratings. i.e. generating Profits

Admiral
06-21-2008, 09:24 AM
They say this is the official announcement (Adam Corolla doing US Top Gear for those who don't want to chase the link):

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b142958_top_gear_puts_car_in_carolla.html

Some stunt movie/drift driver as the US version of the Stig.