PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading

Cross
04-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey,

I just picked up my Cobra 2001 last year in late summer and have had it put away for the winter. Well winter is almost over and I plan on taking it out by weeks end. I want to modify my car, and have been told that modifications are often done backwards (most people will modify exhausts, gears etc.) before actually modifying the engine. I'm confused because I never thought it was a huge deal. First off, I really want to know if the order of how you build up your car matters all that much (though I'm sure it does somehow) and if so, what should I be modifying first and how much will it cost? I'm thinking of upgrades that are a good gain for a reasonable price. Ideas? Thanks! :confused:

Playtme
04-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey! Welcome and is it a coupe or vert, where do you live?

I had a GT vert the first MUST DO is a short shifter! Cold air intake, Steeda sport springs which dropped the car 1 1/2" equally, sub frame connectors then gears

With the Cobra vert I did steeda Tri-ax shifter, cold air intake. H&R sport springs which dorpped the rear 1 1/2" and the front 1 3/4", caster camber plates, shocks and struts, done at the same time. Then sub frame connectors and gears are on the way.

Big Daddy
04-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Start with a PLAN IN MIND as to what the car will be. Street car, part time track car, straight line, twisties. This will determine where to start and what to do. Does the order matter, yes and no, if you're building a car to drive on track (straight or twisties) I would start with suspension. IF you can't hook or turn you can't go fast, so hp is not the best starting point. If it's to be a faster street car then start with exhaust, CAI and a tune. UNLESS you are going for bigger HP numbers.

SO I guess the real answer is it just depends on you. :thumbsup:

Bartman01
04-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm confused because I never thought it was a huge deal.

Given that the Cobra has 4 cams - it gets very expensive to replace them. Most people find it cheaper/easier to add a supercharger (which means beefing up the internals too), or even cheaper/easier to just add exhaust/gears. The stock 3.27 gears are so anemic that this is a good place look - but even then the labor to do gear on the IRS is pretty steep.

I would say subframe connectors are the #1 mod that needs to be done on this car regardless of application. Beyond that what you do really depends on HOW you plan to use your car.

olycobra97
04-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Like the earlier post get a plan then work with that...there is no reason not to put your money into the basic bolt on's (i.e. intake, exhaust, chip, gears ect.) these will make the car faster...there is no reason to get into internal parts on your motor unless you really plan on getting alot of hp out of it. I suggest just what i said before along with springs and a short shifter...most of these parts will run you in the two to three hundred dollar range except the gears if you have them installed...more like six or seven hundred....anyways good luck and love the car

jlg32281
04-09-2008, 11:45 AM
The order is very important and most people do it backwards. Like they said, have a plan. Budget will be the biggest factor. If you are planning on running any type of power adder, you need to forge the bottom end. This is the boring part because you don't really see any boost in performance. It must be done now or it will cost you more down the road. The suspension upgrade was a great suggestion since it is not affected by HP gains. So in my opinion, for power mods, start by forging the bottom end. Then take your pick of a power adder, super charger, turbo, nitrous. A T56 is always nice. For a suspension upgrade, put a tubular K-member and a coil over kit on it. You'll need a tubular K-member if you're going to go turbo anyway. A gear is always a good idea as well, the stock 3.27 is rediculous. This is what I would like to do to my car when I get the money. But like I said, your budget will be the biggest factor. Good luck, keep us posted.

Cross
04-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Well guys thanks for the input. I actually got some more input at work and I liked it, but I wanted to get another opinion. A friend of mine from work suggested chipping my car as far as it could be chipped. He said the price wasn't overly ridiculous, the gains were noticable and it would make my car both fast and silent. I've always liked the sleeper car, even though I've been willing to look around at my options. Anyways, has anyone chipped to the max and how was it for you? Worth it? Thanks :firedevil

olycobra97
04-10-2008, 08:44 PM
i went with the edge performance module and as for noticable power increase im not to sure most of the time you will get aroung twenty horse which isn't too noticeable just by driving i really would suggest going with 4.10 gears its what so far has made the biggest difference to me and you gotta remember your driving a car with cobra and SVT all over it it's going to be hard to pull off being a sleeper without changing body parts...in my opinion just be loud

cobrabitn
04-10-2008, 09:41 PM
My first mod would be a MGW shifter and 4.10's but your mileage may vary...

Cross
04-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Okay, all this into consideration, my question then is can I apply more than one chip for higher horsepower? Or is there such a thing as a chip (or set of chips) that can get me a high amount of horsepower? I'm not talking 20-30 horsepower..I mean more like 50-100 horsepower.

Please don't laugh, I have NO IDEA about car computer systems.

cobrabitn
04-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Unless you go into a power adder, you do not need to waste your money on a chip. You just need a computer recalibration or a tune. Forget the chip!!!!!! It is a waste of money!

Get a the following bolt ons as your budget allows:

Shifter
410 gears minimum
Cold Air kit
Underdrive pulleys
Catback system
Tune

Do all this and your 272 rwhp Cobra will get over 300 at the rear wheels.

Note: shifter and gears do not affect hp but add to the ole butt-o-meter. :)

9Cobra9
04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
i agree with tony on the list of bolt ons he give you all the bolt ons i put on my car i am very pleased with one of the first things i did was exhaust and cai but i put a short throw shifter in before i put my gears and driveshaft on, the shifter is a must if you want to jerk the car around and have alittle fun in my opinion but i also suggest doing a dyno/tune that is the best route to take :thumbsup:

Cross
04-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Well having read everyones feedback I'm pretty sure that its a street car that I want. I will never take my car on the track so I should really stick to moderate upgrades for the most part. Once I get something moving I will let everyone know and thanks for the feedback, it really helped. If theres anything else anyone wants to throw at me, go for it. I will be checking up here every once in a while. Thanks again. :headbang:

ProfChaos
04-18-2008, 03:06 AM
Well having read everyones feedback I'm pretty sure that its a street car that I want. I will never take my car on the track so I should really stick to moderate upgrades for the most part. Once I get something moving I will let everyone know and thanks for the feedback, it really helped. If theres anything else anyone wants to throw at me, go for it. I will be checking up here every once in a while. Thanks again. :headbang:

I agree with BigDaddy and Cobrabitin, in terms of where to start, and--as they note--it often pays to approach modifications from a very pragmatic point-of-view. That said, let me add that I would also take into consideration my budget in relation to the mileage on the car. For example, if the car has 90,000 miles on the clock, you are going to need suspension work before long anyway, so that might be the best place to start--if you have the budget to go with Eibach lowering kit, adjustable gas shocks, caster/camber plates, etc.

A more affordable and even more pragmatic starting point is to buy a K&N low-restriction, serviceable air filter (~$70 at Auto Zone). [First, make sure that there is not one already installed, if you haven't looked at the filter element since you've bought the car, as this is a very common modification on Cobras.] **NOTE: If you are going to buy a cold-air intake, it will likely come with a low-restriction, serviceable air filter, so the cold-air intake is something to look into before buying a K&N filter--to save redundancy in spending.

Regarding exhaust modifications, I would advise to approach this very pragmatically as well: Headers are a great power adder and improve the character of your car's exhaust note, but if you are merely looking for a few additional horsepower, a cold-air intake is the better choice, as it is simple to install and does not cost that much in comparison to buying a decent set of long-tube ceramic-coated headers and then paying an SVT-certified tech ~$800-$1000 to install them. Lastly, once you decide to "go for it" with exhaust modifications, my advice is that you stay away from cheesey off-road X-pipes, unless you intend to use the car exclusively at the track or at the drag strip: An X-pipe with removable cats (as with the primo Bassani stainless steel X-pipe, for example) allows for much more flexibility, in the long run, and does not interfere much with your enjoyment of the Mach 460 sound system. :D

Low-restriction mufflers are another tasty addition, but you might save money, in the long run, by not doing the exhaust system in piece-meal--just folding out the cash ($2500-plus) and going for installation of a whole system from exhaust ports back...Hence, the exhaust system is a good standard modification to save for last, as far as being pragmatic goes. :rotf:

cheers, :cheers:
--Professor Chaos