PDA

View Full Version : *HELP* Big Problem

98BlueSVT
04-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Ok some of you know I had a problem with my car bogging down like it was cutting fuel when I got on it in high RPMs well yesterday it got a lot worse. I was driving on the highway on my way to Baltimore and cruising at 2.5k in 5TH and backed off the gas to slow down a bit then just normally got back on it and my car would not build speed it was bogging out and I couldn't go anywhere regardless of what I did I tried switching to lower gears but it would instanyly bog down. I finally made my way to the shoulder and made sure nothing was broke so I shut her down and let her sit for a few then started her back up and she ran fine for about 15min then did it again and would run fine if I shut her down and started her back up again.... I'm thinking its maybe a fuel filter or injectors since when I started it it was really hard to start had hold the key over and when she started it would bog really low and sometimes die I just want everyone else opinions before I dump money I don't have

dewone
04-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Sounds like the fuel pump is heat soaking. First I would check the filter, then test the fuel pressure. That may not give you a god indication due to the pump may not being hot at that time and not working as hard. Most likely looking at replacement of the pump though. Hope the filters clogged!

98BlueSVT
04-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Any idea on a good way to test the pump? And prices snd where is our filter located? The car has 85K miles on it does it sound right for the pump to go bad?

blueblazes
04-12-2008, 10:39 PM
sounds exactly like what my 94 gt did when the pump went bad it would just lurch no matter what gear it was in and finally would die and would have to wait for it to cool down before it would start. The fuel filter is located above teh rearend just in front of the gas tank. Get you a 255lph pump and cal it a day usually about 100 bucks.

B

98BlueSVT
04-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks man where is the best place to get the pump. The only thing that got me nervous was that if I pull over and sit for like 15 seconds and start it up it runs perfectly fine for a little while I dunno hopefully its just a pump of filter going bad

blueblazes
04-13-2008, 12:25 AM
summit usually has a 255lph pump for around 100 bucks

98BlueSVT
04-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks again is the install hard?

blueblazes
04-13-2008, 02:58 AM
nah just try to get tank as empty as possible

98BlueSVT
04-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Do you have to drop the tank or what? Not quite sure how its done and wanna make sure I got the tools

oldguy
04-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I replaced the fuel pump on my 98 Convert (100K miles). The factory unit resides in the fuel tank. It is a one piece unit and costs a lot more then $100. If you go with the factory replacement it requires dropping the tank. To spihon the remainder of the fuel disconnect the overflow tube which runs from the top of the tank to the fuel filler tube. Insert the siphon tube into the small hose and into the tank. It was easy after I figured that piece out. The filler tube has a flapper on the end (in tank) and is very difficult to get past it.

Dropping the tank is easy, getting it back up is a little more difficult. Make sure you have the proper fuel injection line disconnect tools for the couplings. I decided to stay with the factory set up as I wanted no issues with electrical connections or fuel pressure.

good luck...

Blown96Snake
04-17-2008, 11:39 AM
It could be a vacuum leak. My cobra had a similar issue, however it would actually in some cases cause the engine light to come on. Might be the same thing, I'm not sure.

Good luck!

David

98BlueSVT
04-19-2008, 08:22 PM
well i replaced my fuel filter and it helped out alot i can romp on it all day but still slightly bogs down every once and awhile not nearly as much as it did... but i was letting it sit the other day and also noticed that my passanger bank has a slight misfire...so idk if that could cause my problem but ima get some cash together and replace plugs/wires any recomended?

SSStang
04-21-2008, 01:37 AM
my 2 cents...

Sounds like exactly what mine was doing last summer. After a while of driving it would start bogging really bad. Found out it was just my fuel pump was heating up after a while of driving... apparently that was a problem for these years.

Replaced my fuel pump and now I have not had any bogging issues at all.