PDA

View Full Version : Mustang owner (not a terminator) here, can you convince me to buy a Terminator?

Bouncer88
04-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Well I own a 1984 SVO mustang and I have loved mustangs for all my life, I always had their backs in every argument no matter what. I also have another love for Bavarian Hot rods aka M cars made by BMW and one in particular is the E39 M5 (1999-2003). I just want to know if you guys can convince me to buy a Terminator over an M5 as my new job permits me to buy one or the other.

I am 19, I love cars, I can work on any car, already made it through technical school and have rebuilt my engine in the svo along with other modifications to the suspension and drive train so if one is easier to work on than the other you can kind of rule that argument out I guess.

Anyways thanks in advanced.

SuperG
04-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Words cannot justify...go and drive both. Consider your desired usage (an M5 seats 4 adults comfortably, a Cobra does not). Then consider maintenance costs. Also, I am fairly certain the same year M5 is more expensive than a Terminator. As such, it is then easier to modify a Terminator making it an even better performer.There's my nickel's worth!

spincobra03
04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
simply put..... if you want a smooth comfortable ride then buy the m5. If you want great power with the american muscle feel then buy the cobra. Also if you spend less than 1500 you can have close to a 500 hp bad ass machine. Cobras are by no means smooth or quite, there is alot of road noise and you feel every bump but there is no other feeling when you mash the gas and hold on to that wheel. Get it and you wont regret it.

Big T
04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
You can put a Kenne Bell or a whipple with supporting mods on a cobra for $5000 and have 600+ rwhp with good reliability for daily driving. The interior leaves much to be desired. I love to see people jump when I drive by and hit the boost. The BMWs are very nice cars, but seem to be a little feminine in my opinion.

mojo dad
04-15-2008, 12:16 PM
If you want to drive American muscle you go with the Terminator understanding that this is a different driving experience than the yuppy BMW

cobrabitn
04-15-2008, 11:58 PM
You came to a Cobra forum, you're pretty much going to get a Cobra forum answer. While the BMW is very stylish, fast, and they make a statement. I prefer the quiet, subtle, kick in the pants when I go by someone so therefore I vote for the snake. Did you expect anything else from this group? :rotf:

There's nothing like the sound of an Eaton when you mash the pedal as you go around someone. You owned an SVO so my advice is for you to go out and drive a Terminator and you won't look back. Have you ever been sitting next to someone at a red light and and had that possum smile on your face? :D

I remember the first time I drove a Cobra, I said "I have to get one of these" and the next thing I knew, I had one in my garage. I have owned Mustangs for over 30 years......

JROC
04-16-2008, 02:11 AM
Heres the reason why.

You say you've loved Mustangs your whole life.Well a 03/04 Cobra is about the baddest one ever made. The only only ones that should be compared to it for its stock performance is a new GT500. You could say a 2000 Cobra R or a Saleen Extreme maybe, but not many. Also your not going to fine a car that you can mod to make big #'s as cheaply as you can with a factory S/C Modular. Try and mod much more power out of the Bimmer. Do they even make F/I kits for them? I bet their pretty much at their streetable limits N/A as they leave from the factory.

I guess it boils down to this. You need to ask yourself this question.

"Self, am I a Mustang Cobra guy, or am I a BMW M5 guy?"

In the long run only you can answer that question, and then when you have figured it out you can go from there.

SuperG
04-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Also, there aren't any jokes about Mustang Cobras.

What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?

The BMW's pricks are on the inside.

ausie
07-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Test drive both cars. Terminators would cost less to modify than the BMW but there are tuners available for both. The M series BMW's are nice vehicles but pricey. Other than valve train, what would count most is what is on the bottom end. Cobra's use a high strength forged steel crank shaft, forged connecting rods and pistons. Not sure what the BMW uses for the bottom end. If you prefer a coupe, consider the new M3 (now has a 4.0L V8 with 420hp).

You would get more bang for the dollar with the terninator than the BMW.

It is all in your preference. At least I know I am not burdened by the cost of my vehicles.

ausie
08-01-2008, 08:05 AM
You said you needed convincing. My Terminator is essentially stock and it still surprises me. Sometimes it can scare the crap out of me when you push it to its limits. I have never been able to find the top speed yet, 175mph was all I could tolerate and I had plenty of room for more speed and one more gear to use. Acceleration is incredible! The terminator can be as docile as you want it to be or rip up the asphault mean as it was designed to be. 0-60mph is less than 4.5 seconds. I have yet to find the limits of grip on any turn. 12.5 seconds on the quarter mile (novice on track). I have had my car for 43k miles from new without any issues that required taking it to the dealer.

Great car for spring, summer and fall. Not so good for winter driving in ice or snow (does not matter if you have snow tires or not, but would be recommended if you do decide to take it out for winter in case you find any ice on the road surface).

kevinflick03
08-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Buy the BMW. The M5 is a much nicer car.Plus it's a BMW and not a Ford. Don't get me wrong, I love Mustangs. My dad sold parts for ford for 30 years. The cobra doesn't come close to comparing. :D

avmech
08-01-2008, 11:40 PM
you have decide what you want to do with your car. I have had a M5 and i liked it alot, but I used it to drive the kids around and take out clients for dinner. good driving car quick but its really an old mans car. if you want a toy that you can mod your self and the parts are alot less then the BMW eie...daninan, M-parts and other tunner hardware for the bimmer I would say get the cobra. Cobra is a toy hands down the bimmer is a everyday car.