PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Cobra rear brake questions

Jack Hidley
04-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Over the years, we have run into a few customers who claim their 1993 Cobra came with different rear brakes than what Ford says were put on the car. Because of this, I'm doing a survey of 1993 Cobra owners to see if I can find any concrete evidence of this. If any of you own or have owned a 1993 Cobra, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a minute or two to answer a few questions about the brakes. If you aren't sure about something just leave it blank. My goal is to get the most accurate possible information.

Are the rear brake rotors solid or vented?

Have you ever measured the diameter of the rear brake rotors, and if so, what were they?

If you ever changed the rear brake pads, can you give me the part number for the pads that you used?

If you have ever rebuilt the rear calipers, and happened to measure the diameter of the piston, what was it?

Of the 5,xxx 1993 Cobras built, what number Cobra do you or did you own?

Thanks for your help. I'll compile the results of what I find and post them here in a month or so.

cobrabitn
04-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Jack,

I will post this to the club's "member" mailing list to help you out with your answers as I know of some members that can probably answer this for you.

BTW, It would be nice to see MM out at our VIR event next month. Yes, I know it is a long way from CA but maybe you have some east coast representatives that can come out?

Thanks,

Tony

93KingCobra
04-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Over the years, we have run into a few customers who claim their 1993 Cobra came with different rear brakes than what Ford says were put on the car. Because of this, I'm doing a survey of 1993 Cobra owners to see if I can find any concrete evidence of this. If any of you own or have owned a 1993 Cobra, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a minute or two to answer a few questions about the brakes. If you aren't sure about something just leave it blank. My goal is to get the most accurate possible information.

Are the rear brake rotors solid or vented?

Have you ever measured the diameter of the rear brake rotors, and if so, what were they?

If you ever changed the rear brake pads, can you give me the part number for the pads that you used?

If you have ever rebuilt the rear calipers, and happened to measure the diameter of the piston, what was it?

Of the 5,xxx 1993 Cobras built, what number Cobra do you or did you own?

Thanks for your help. I'll compile the results of what I find and post them here in a month or so.

Sorry I can't help you out but I can give you a web site dedicated to 93 cobras.....http://www.1993cobra.com/

Philcsag1
04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
The 93 Cobra rear brakes are 100% the same as the 1987 and 1988 Thunderbird Turbo coupe. (for 5000 cars I think it would have been cost prohibited to make a special set of brake)

I have had to replace calipers pads and rotors at Gingerman for a friend a few years back and Auto zone did not have a rear disc listing for 93 Mustang so I told the guy to give me all 88 t bird turbo coupe parts and they were identical

The disc were 10.07 inch vented

and these were the same as the original parts that came off my 93 Cobra # 329

svt2205
04-20-2008, 08:19 AM
If you go over to svtp and search for rear brakes in the 93 Cobra section. You'll find at least one thread discussing the stock rear brakes on the 93 Cobra. As it turns out some were built with solid rotors and some were vented. This topic was also beaten to death on the old SCOA message board, but the original board is long gone and so are the details.

Other then the differences of vented vs solid, in the past 15 years, I've never heard anything about different calipers.

Good luck with your quest for facts on these cars.

cobrabitn
04-20-2008, 12:58 PM
I would assume the 1993 brakes would be like the 1994 brakes where there is a difference between brake pads and rotors due to solid and vented discs although I thought all GTs had drums on the rear? :scratch:

Jack Hidley
04-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Henry,

I've tried doing searchs at SVT Performance for the two weeks. Apparently their search engine is messed up. No matter what I do it returns an error. I started a duplicate thread to this one at SVTP, about the same time.

As you appear to have figured out, I'm trying to determine if the rumor that some 1993 Cobras were produced with solid rear brake rotors and different brake calipers is true or not. To date, in about 5 years of looking, I have yet to find a single person who can show me any evidence of this other than the "I heard it on the internet" type of response.

The only reasonable solid rear discs that could have been used on the car are the 94V6/GT rotors. These are 10.51" x 0.55". They will not work with the 93 Cobra 45mm Varga rear caliper (D347 pad). The pads will fall out once they get 75% work out and the pads would be 1/4" from the edge of the rotor. For these rotors to have been used, the rear caliper must have been the 94+ 38mm Varga model. These will put the pad in the correct location and both calipers share the same standard 97mm bolt center spacing. I haven't looked into the offsets of the calipers and rotors to see if that would have worked without different brake brackets on the housing.

This combination of rear caliper and rotor change would have reduced the rear brake bias by 25%. That's a big change.

Then we have the small detail of bolt patterns. I don't know if Ford made the 94 V6/GT rear disc with a 4-lug bolt pattern for some other application. If they didn't, I seriously doubt that they made a small production run of special rear discs or redrilled the 5-lug discs.

cobrabitn
04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
94 GT rear brakes are five lugs like the 94 Cobra.

Here is what I found out concerning the brake pads. My 94 Pace Car has GT brakes on it, that's right GT brakes. It is a very low number (22) and it came with GT rear brakes.

The calipers are the same but...the pads are not. The vented discs are thicker therefore you have to have a pad with less material on it. I learned this when I was replacing the brakes on my 94 Cobra coupe with the vented discs. They gave me GT pads and they would not go on because the pad material was too thick so I had to go back and replace them with "Cobra" brake pads. I then compared the two pads and the GT had more material on it.

If some 93's did come with solid discs, you will probably have to use 94 GT pads to make them work.

asperformance
04-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I have owned probabbly 20 93 Cobras, all had Vented rear rotors, I have some off, I can measure them, Unfortunately I have not torn any calipers apart to see what size piston it had in it. I have bought new rotors from Carquest for the Front and rear and both came in Brembo boxes. same compay that made them for ford. If you have any other questions or need some pictures of the Backing plates or anti ratle brackets let me know, I have like 4 sets of 93 Cobra Brakes, they where all 4 Lung, except the 93R which had the same caliper and Brackets, but had a 5 lug Lincoln rotor. So for those of you that thought the rear where 94 Cobra they are not the same, Only thing the same on an R was the Front Rotor, Calipers where different as well. Hope this helped.

cobrabitn
04-22-2008, 11:56 PM
So are you saying the rears of the 93 Cobra are definitely not the same as the 94 Cobra?

Jack Hidley
04-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Yes, the 93 Cobra and the 94 Cobra do not share any rear brake components. Axles, rotors, calipers, pads are all different.

cobrabitn
04-23-2008, 12:21 AM
1993 Specifications:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/svtcobraspec93.php

1994 Specifications:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/svtcobraspec94.php

:thumbsup: