PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Suddenly

plutonic
04-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Here's whats been going on:
Driving home yesterday I glanced at the gauges and noticed the temp gauge very high (not redline, but getting too close for comfort) I then got stuck at a red light and figured "im screwed" but for whatever reason it dropped back to normal really quickly and held there. When i got home i could smell the antifreeze and i definately lost a little bit out the rad cap.

Now, driving to work this morning (only 10 min drive) it heated up to normal and just kept going up again not till red line but above normal (i cranked the heater in the car in an effort to get some out of the engine bay and i could again smell antifreeze), so i figured its got to be the fan. Did some research and someone recommended testing the CCRM by turning on the MAX A/C setting and seeing if the fan turns on, it did. So on my way home (MAX A/C on the whole time), car heated up normally hung at normal temp for awhile then again started to creep up in temp (not even stopped, going down the road at 50) this lasted all of 15 seconds before dropping right back down to normal and staying there, when i got home i turned the MAX A/C off to see if the fan would stay on and it did, sat in my driveway for a few minutes and there was no change in temp.

Any ideas on what this could be?
My ideas are:
Bad fan relay that works on and off (i have to change the whole CCRM to fix this correct?)
or the dreaded head gasket failure (i havent noticed smoke out the exhaust but i also havent been looking for it, i havent driven the car hard at all for quite some time so im really hoping this isnt it.

Also, just basic bolt on mods no blower or anything crazy
its a 2001 Cobra 88,000km's
Coolent levels appear more or less normal and the coolent smells normal
Oil levels are normal and oil is clean.

Any help at all would be great. i also have a diablo tuner so if any sort of test can be done with that its not a problem.

ProfChaos
04-18-2008, 03:18 AM
This might be a fairly simple fix: Check your coolant level when the car is cold, and fill the expansion tank to the "Cold" level. Next, squeeze the upper radiator hose vigorously several times, to remove as many air bubbles as possible. Next, start the car and let it warm up slightly (perhaps to the lower edge of the "R" in the "NORMAL" range indicator. Then, turn-off the car and check the coolant level again, repeating the hose-squeezing (by using a rag to shield you from heat from the hose). More bubbles should surface as you squeeze the hose, and the more, the better--until you get the coolant at a stable level.

(The same thing you are experiencing happened with my car, and the above process resolved the issue: since I have a Fluidyne radiator as a cooling upgrade, my car usually runs dead-nuts between the "O" and the "R," so with any variation from that, I check the coolant level when the car is cold, and then refill the expansion tank and burp the cooling system by squeezing the upper radiator hose.)

Cobra cooling systems get really flakey when they get air bubbles as the coolant level drops, and this flakiness shows up first as unusual movement in the temperature indicator gauge.

cheers, :cheers:
--Professor Chaos

STANGBUM
04-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Yes mine also acted that way. So, I did the same procedure and have had no problems since. :thumbsup: