PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hours of "LeMons"

JBoden
05-06-2008, 08:41 PM
This is the real deal - an exciting racing series has scheduled an event at MSR Houston and I think we need to put together a Team. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Check out the details
www.24hoursoflemons.com

"Endurance Racing for $500 cars" I can see it now, we find a beater of a mustang, add all the safety stuff (not included in the $500 limit).

We Can Win :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Let me know if you're interested - we need 4 to 6 drivers.

cobrabitn
05-06-2008, 09:02 PM
I think this is a good idea and a good newsletter article. :thumbsup:

Exige
05-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I think this is a good idea and a good newsletter article. :thumbsup:I would be interested and my driving skills are coming along quite good at the moment.. :)

97CasperCobra
05-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Since Stan has the Shelby, I'm sure he will sell us the '98 for cheap..... :p

03 cobra toy
05-07-2008, 09:21 AM
:thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
05-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Interested :thumbsup: , but significantly underfunded. :doubt:

SuperG
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Yeah, not only is there a cost of the car and its mods, but you really need to stay at the track all day, overnight, and the next day...so you need accomodations, food, drinks, parts, etc...would be fun though!!

Bartman01
05-07-2008, 01:08 PM

From reading the last couple of Car And Driver articles on this event I am pretty sure they do a 'reasonableness' test on the $500 limit to prevent that kind of stuff. If the car is obviously worth more than $500 it is disqualified.

'Awards' also get welded on to the cars mid-event if memory serves correct so you wouldn't want to use a car that you care about.

SuperG
05-07-2008, 01:39 PM
From reading the last couple of Car And Driver articles on this event I am pretty sure they do a 'reasonableness' test on the $500 limit to prevent that kind of stuff. If the car is obviously worth more than $500 it is disqualified.

'Awards' also get welded on to the cars mid-event if memory serves correct so you wouldn't want to use a car that you care about.
Also...in the contract it stipulates that your car essentially belongs to the race organizers until the event is over...so one of the punishments they have for cars that have obviously exceeded the limits set by the race are subsequently DESTROYED!

This is what happens when you are cought cheating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4tuap8DVRQ&feature=related

But here it is when you are having fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGZ8bQz3wJY

Admiral
05-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I heard the event was full already?

Exige
05-07-2008, 03:17 PM
I heard the event was full already?It doesnt look like the pick the teams to race until about 10 weeks before the race it self.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/registration/team_signup.php

Levi
05-07-2008, 05:00 PM

NOT! :edmond:

Does sound like a fun event............ :thumbsup:

gtdrivr
05-08-2008, 07:42 AM
I posted about this a while back (Jan?). I really wanted to get a team together. I just cant seem to find any interest.

SuperG
05-08-2008, 08:08 AM
I posted about this a while back (Jan?). I really wanted to get a team together. I just cant seem to find any interest.
It certainly would take some commitment!

Mephisto
05-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I'm in to drive a few hours. If you think I am qualified.

Admiral
05-08-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm concerned about the premise of making an entry, then 10 weeks prior to the event having to wait to see if your entry is "selected". After building a $500 "race car" I'd be pretty unhappy to find out I didn't get to race it.

Bartman01
05-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm concerned about the premise of making an entry, then 10 weeks prior to the event having to wait to see if your entry is "selected". After building a $500 "race car" I'd be pretty unhappy to find out I didn't get to race it.

I think that the thought is that you don't buy the car and start modifying it until you are accepted. That only gives you 10 weeks to buy/build the car which further limits who is willing/able to do this.

SuperG
05-08-2008, 03:34 PM
I finally took the time to read the rules...and they are an easy read because there is a lot of humor.

Some quick notes:
1) Entry is $500 per car + $100 per driver + $75 per pit crew + $40 for general access. Therefore, the minumum entry fee is $900 as the minimum # of drivers is 4...and the drivers can serve as the pit crew.
2) Drivers have to have approved fire retardant clothing...not cheap.
3) The car cannot have more than $500 invested (except safety equipment). There must be a 6-point roll-bar and 5-point harness. My cheapy 4-point from Autopower was $400. So we're probably looking at least $1000 total.
4) SN95 and above helmets only...no M's.
5) Drivers must have a competition license...or simply spend $50 at the event to get the waiver.
6) You can sell parts off the car to reduce the value of the car.
7) Sponsorship is allowed...but should not be part of the car as it increses its value...buy things like fuel, hotel rooms, fire retardent suits, etc.

Man, it sure seems like a fun way to spend some time, doesn't it?

Exige
05-08-2008, 04:21 PM
I finally took the time to read the rules...and they are an easy read because there is a lot of humor.

Some quick notes:
1) Entry is $500 per car + $100 per driver + $75 per pit crew + $40 for general access. Therefore, the minumum entry fee is $900 as the minimum # of drivers is 4...and the drivers can serve as the pit crew.
2) Drivers have to have approved fire retardant clothing...not cheap.
3) The car cannot have more than $500 invested (except safety equipment). There must be a 6-point roll-bar and 5-point harness. My cheapy 4-point from Autopower was $400. So we're probably looking at least $1000 total.
4) SN95 and above helmets only...no M's.
5) Drivers must have a competition license...or simply spend $50 at the event to get the waiver.
6) You can sell parts off the car to reduce the value of the car.
7) Sponsorship is allowed...but should not be part of the car as it increses its value...buy things like fuel, hotel rooms, fire retardent suits, etc.

Man, it sure seems like a fun way to spend some time, doesn't it?I figure you are going to want a 6 man team and each member is probably looking at $1000 + the cost of a fire suit.

JBoden
05-08-2008, 09:25 PM
After taking a look at some of the photos from previous events - it's obvious that most of the vehicles are probably donors from the near junk yard. Did you see that great big station wagon sailing around the turns.

The challanges are many, and it's not something we could do casually. We would need shop resources as well. If anyone is interested, Larry and I are going to be down at Gransport this weekend. Come on by and let's discuss. :eek:

Exige
05-08-2008, 11:02 PM
After taking a look at some of the photos from previous events - it's obvious that most of the vehicles are probably donors from the near junk yard. Did you see that great big station wagon sailing around the turns.

The challanges are many, and it's not something we could do casually. We would need shop resources as well. If anyone is interested, Larry and I are going to be down at Gransport this weekend. Come on by and let's discuss. :eek:Im going to be at Grandsport this Saturday running with the San Jacinto Corvette club. Is this the day your going to be there? If so look me up, you cant miss the red lotus in the sea of corvettes.. :D

Exige
05-11-2008, 02:40 AM
Larry/Jim, it was great running out at Grandsport with you today and thanks for providing the shade and good company.

cobrabitn
05-11-2008, 08:45 AM
http://jalopnik.com/389296/tragic-death-reported-at-altamont-24-hours-of-lemons-race

Admiral
05-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Just a taste of what it is like:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yTJWYN2zagY

I saw ONE, only ONE, working brake light in that video lol. :D