PDA

View Full Version : 96 Cobra Needs 20 More RWHP

Mystic_Cobra
05-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Ok, so I've been a little MIA lately, getting caught up with racing, tons of travel for work and everything else going on.

So, anyway, my 96 Cobra makes 311 RWHP and 315 RWTQ. In order to be competitve in my race class I need to either gain 20 HP or lose 250+ lbs. I might be able to get another 100 lbs out of it, but getting 200 lbs out will be really expensive. Mods are nearly unrestricted in my class as long as I stay under 9.5 lbs/HP and 9 lbs/ ft lb TQ.
Latest dyno sheet shows a nice flat TQ curve that stays above 300 from 3500 to 5300. HP is above 300 from 5200 to 6300 where it starts to drop off pretty quickly.

Here's what I have now front to back:
C&L aluminum elbow and MAF with cold /fresh air conical filter
accufab single-bore TB
stock intake manifolds/stock IMRCs
stock heads with some cleanup work to improve flow (nothing major), degreed stock cams
96 Cobra block rebuilt with a forged pistons/rods
BBk long tubes, race mufflers, side exit
aluminum flywheel
lightweight racing clutch
stock T45
aluminum driveshaft
MSD coils, wires
SCT custom tune/chip

I'm thinking a little more may be possible with tuning, but probably not 20. What's the most cost effective way to get there? Cams? Heads? Intake?

blueblazes
05-11-2008, 09:50 PM
I could see 10-20hp from custom tune especially with some aggressive timing. You have alot of parts there that can change the af on the car so dialing that in could help alot in the hp dept.

Mystic_Cobra
05-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I only had it tuned once. I've made several changes since then. The motor was new so we probably can get more out of the tune.

tcrews
05-12-2008, 12:30 AM
add some underdrive pulleys and clean up the heads even more (ported more than just cleaned). After that re-tune and you should be very close.

Mystic_Cobra
05-12-2008, 08:57 AM
add some underdrive pulleys and clean up the heads even more (ported more than just cleaned). After that re-tune and you should be very close.

Tom, Good to hear from you. I was hoping you'd chime in. I have underdrive's, too-left that off the list. Emissions stuff has been yanked out, as well. I had the motor built for me, so I don't know exactly how much work was done to the heads or what else can be done. I will check on that when I talk to the engine builder next.
If I want more power in the 6000-7200 range, is head work the right place to look? Is the stock 96 intake a limiting factor at this point?

tcrews
05-12-2008, 09:33 AM
I should have figured with all the other mods but I went over the list a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing them listed before I suggested them.

That "little bit more" when you've done all the basics is very hard to achieve. I was banking on about 10 rwhp from the UD pulleys and some free'er flowing heads giving another 5-10 on top of that.

98 Yellow Snake
05-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Pulleys, a tune and maybe a gear swap.