PDA

View Full Version : 96 w P0174 Codes

Mr_Quality
05-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Hi Folks,

I posted a question via the SCMC mailing list and wanted to post the follow up here.

My 96 Cobra was taken out of its Maine winter storage a few weeks back and after about a month a P0174 (Lean Bank 2) code popped up. I do have a K&N air filter so the usual oil on the MAF suspect came up.

I pulled the MAF and cleaned it with carb cleaner, cleared the code and unfortunately the code came back.

I replaced the K&N w/ a paper filter, replaced my fuel filter and poked around to try and find/fix any possible vacuum leaks. I cleared the code and after a bit of driving the code came back again.

I then thought Iíd give a Sea Foam treatment a try in case my injectors were clogged. The usual billows of white smoke were produced but some was coming from under the hood. I traced the source to a lose flange where my driver side (bank 2) mid-pipe bolts to the header, about 6Ē upstream from my front O2 sensor. I tightened that down, cleared the code and now all is well again. I suspect that I was drawing air into the pipe at the leak and the O2 saw the excess air as a lean condition.

Canít say if the Sea Foam actually cleaned anything but itís a dandy way to find exhaust leaks!

SuperG
05-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi Folks,

Canít say if the Sea Foam actually cleaned anything but itís a dandy way to find exhaust leaks!
Discovered a new use! Congrats on finding the issue!