PDA

View Full Version : 03 Cobra Fuel help

SlayerLegend
05-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey, I just bought a cobra through ebay and this is what it has for upgrades...

H&R 25mm spacers on the rear -H&R Race springs -Billetflow IRS brace -2.3L Whipple-(3.5" upper pulley & 4lb lower Metco) 19psi -Accufab throttle body -KB boost-a-pump -60lb Siemens injectors -K&N FIPK -Fluidine heat exchanger -LFP I/C reservoir -Sct-xcal2 (set up for 93 octane) -Sct-BA2400 MAF -Catless x-pipe -Magnaflow SS catback -Complete Idler set-up -Raptor performance shift light -Clutch quadrant adjustment kit.

The cars new home is in Alberta Canada and we are limited to the high octane fuel with a max of 91. With the high altitude around the rocky mountains (Not in the Rocky Mountains) is it gonna be safe to fuel my car with 91 octane and leave the chip setting at 93 or am i going to have to de-tune the car? It does not have headers on the car, I am wondering why it was tuned professionally without? Pros vs Cons with headers?

SuperG
05-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Well, I believe 91 and 93 are the same with respect to altitude, therefore, I would guess you are good to go. I did not experience anything physically when I had my car in Colorado, versus the tune I received in south Texas near sea level...

Big T
05-22-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm assuming you mean that your car still has the stock headers. Alot of people don't get headers because of the difficulty and cost of install compared to the power from their use. A good set of headers with install will cost well over $1000, but they do sound good once they are on.

blueblazes
05-23-2008, 02:13 AM
headers are a touchy subject in 03's, the stock manifolds actually flow pretty good from factory. The power people see from headers is usually under the curve rather than peak power, on average people will gain at most around 10hp peak but their curves will shift up dramatically.

93 octane on 19lbs is pushing dangerous to begin with, you have to tone the timing down a touch with 19lbs on 93 octane. If I were you I would pulley it down to 17lbs and get a new tune.

Because I definately would not recommend 19lbs on 91 octane ever....

Altitude doesnt change octane requirements however it does change fuel requirements in the amount of fuel sometimes needed, but this is where the maf comes into play. The maf actually weighs the air to calculate fuel requirements. This is one good reason why its so important to find a good tuner who datalogs and reads the maf voltage.

SlayerLegend
06-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Alright thanks alot, i did find 92 octane here,but still dont know if it is enough. The car also seems to be running a little rich as it shoots out black smoke when i start it and give it some peddle. Could this be because of the lower octane? I have also been adding octane boost hoping it will help a little.

InfamousSVT
06-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Alright thanks alot, i did find 92 octane here,but still dont know if it is enough. The car also seems to be running a little rich as it shoots out black smoke when i start it and give it some peddle. Could this be because of the lower octane? I have also been adding octane boost hoping it will help a little.

It's good to run a little rich in your case, but it really matters up top (high rpms) That's were you have the tendency to damage the motor. I would get the car dyno'd with a/f and see what happens. Also, I would replace the boost a pump with the Ford GT pumps, just my .02 cents. Good luck.
:thumbsup:

SlayerLegend
06-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I am gonna get it tuned to 91 octane at 17 lbs boost, and i think i will add the ford gt fuel pump. While i am doing this is there any other good upgrades that i should do? Also the car was tuned in a low altitude area, and now driven at a higher altitude, would this have anything to do with it running rich?