PDA

View Full Version : An interesting tour

blue92
05-23-2008, 12:34 AM
While touring a new road course in Austin, Tx. by the name of Driveway Austin this past Wednesday I had an interesting tour. When I first arrived I was met by Bill the owner of the track, which actually has been in Austin for over 10 years as a private test track and a training track for many of the state of Texas police departments. Bill was showing me the many track configurations on the entrance to the track sign. To which I wasn't that impressed (looked a little small), then he took me for a tour of the track in his golf cart, still not all that impressed. I guess he sensed I wasn't that impressed so he decided to give me the ultimate track tour. We went over to the main building and rolled out his car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzhRaXKolkc&feature=related

Needless to say after the second track tour I had a different opinion of the track. Here's the track layouts.
http://www.drivewayaustin.com/main/content/overall-track-description
roll over the text at the left with your mouse to see the track configurations.

On the highway loop by the time we got to where the red text is we were doing 135mph. I lost some more hair on that ride.

Highway Loop below.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg60/dlfswi/highwayLoop.jpg

:jawdrop:

SuperG
05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Don gotta drive in an Atom!!! Dang, yet another track to choose from...Did you ask him about group outings?

Admiral
05-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Pretty cool, I'd never heard of this track but hope they let "outsiders" come and play!! :thumbsup:

blue92
05-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Don gotta drive in an Atom!!! Dang, yet another track to choose from...Did you ask him about group outings?

Didn't get to drive it, but he's a professional driver and really knows how to drive that thing, he showed off his drifting skills as well by doing 2 360s in reverse then straightening it out and nailin it.

The reason I was there was to check into fordbastards doing a track day out there. Driveway's club/track day is a completely different set up than TWS. But it sounds as if it may be just as every bit as fun. All his instructors are licensed profession drivers.

blue92
05-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Just saw a segment on Science Network on the Ariel Atom. They tested it against a NASCAR and a Ferrari, the Ariel smoked them both. The Science Network declared the Ariel the car of the future because it gets 170 per gallon of gas and is funny as all get out to drive. They're making them in the US now and the cost for one is between 25grand to 30grand depending on what all you want on it or the engine you choose. :D

kencobra
05-25-2008, 10:16 AM
WOW ! I am awestruck at what this car brings to the table. It has to be a blast to drive even if one does not have the driving skills of the guys in the video.

Exige
05-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Just saw a segment on Science Network on the Ariel Atom. They tested it against a NASCAR and a Ferrari, the Ariel smoked them both. The Science Network declared the Ariel the car of the future because it gets 170 per gallon of gas and is funny as all get out to drive. They're making them in the US now and the cost for one is between 25grand to 30grand depending on what all you want on it or the engine you choose. :DThe Atom is a great car, but I think you would be hard pressed to find one under $65,000 even used.

blue92
05-25-2008, 04:14 PM
The Atom is a great car, but I think you would be hard pressed to find one under $65,000 even used.

Yea well after the holiday I plan to finding out how much they want. I'm also going to see if you can get one without an engine.

Exige
05-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Yea well after the holiday I plan to finding out how much they want. I'm also going to see if you can get one without an engine.I believe you can buy it as a kit, and Im sure you can get it without an engine. BTW, I believe the wait is long for the cars 6mo+. I think used is the best way to go as they seem to be all low milage and garage kept (no roof). Talked with a guy last time I was at cresson that was in his Atom and he said they are easily registered for the road in Texas.