PDA

View Full Version : Ps3

Evilcartman
06-06-2008, 01:08 PM
I bought one, gamer tag is EvilcartmanSVT. Iím blaming Barry for this one. :) He kept sending me emails with deals on PS3ís. After speaking with Barry and Bart, I decided to buy it. Best Buy has them for $399 with $100 gift card. I picked up Motor Storm and GT5. First impression is that I like the Xbox 360 better, but I wanted a Blue Ray player and that was what pushed me. If you are looking for a gaming console and don't need a BR player, I would avoid the PS3.

PS3 review

Controller Pros:
Very light
Nice built in battery, but I would prefer rechargeable AA

Controller Cons:
Triggers are annoying because my finger keeps slipping off the throttle (360 controller has a hooked/curved trigger)
Overall size is too small for my hand
No vibration

Console Pros:
Blue Ray player
Very cool case and quiet
Free online account
Wireless is nice, but Iím not using it
Touch buttons are cool
PSU is built in the case while the 360 is a giant box
The integration with my PSP is nice

Console Cons:
Price
Main Menu interface is cluttered, even more so with downloaded content added
Online gaming sucks in comparison to the $3 per month Live
I canít use my universal Sony remote
Headset not included
It took 20 minutes to even be able play GT5 because it needed to install and update
Demos are very slow to download and take too long to install
Game selection completely sucks

I played the demo for Grid on the 360 and the PS3. Both support the 1080P and both looked about the same in quality. Comparing a few games made for each console.

Forza 2, while being two years old blows away GT5. The only thing I like better about GT5 is the interior view.
Motor Storm is not worth the $60 it cost. For a off-road game I thought Dirt was much better.

Firme
06-06-2008, 01:52 PM
LOL! WOW, the biggest 360 proponent I know bought a pS3?? Congratulations I guess.

ps3 tag Firme01

Make folders for your download content, the menu will not be cluttered.

What kind of 1080p TV are you running these through?

You getting MGS4?

I am waiting for Killzone2 to hit the stores later this year.

Evilcartman
06-06-2008, 02:47 PM
LOL! WOW, the biggest 360 proponent I know bought a pS3?? Congratulations I guess.

ps3 tag Firme01

Make folders for your download content, the menu will not be cluttered.

What kind of 1080p TV are you running these through?

You getting MGS4?

I am waiting for Killzone2 to hit the stores later this year.

I wanted a BR player and the PS3 got the best reviews. :dunno: Plus, I really thought GT5 would be much better.

Send me friend invite or whatever you do to add my tag. I will create folders to help with the DL content.

What about a headset? Playing online isn't much good without a means to chat. What did you buy?

I have a Sony LCD 40 inch 1080P TV in the bedroom that it is connected to. I had the 360 and the PS3 both running the Grid demo through HDMI. Both looked the same switching back and forth. The 55 inch in the living room is only 480P.

Not sure on MGS4 or Killzone 2. I will look for the demos before I buy.

Firme
06-06-2008, 04:08 PM
I wanted a BR player and the PS3 got the best reviews. :dunno: Plus, I really thought GT5 would be much better.

Send me friend invite or whatever you do to add my tag. I will create folders to help with the DL content.

What about a headset? Playing online isn't much good without a means to chat. What did you buy?

I have a Sony LCD 40 inch 1080P TV in the bedroom that it is connected to. I had the 360 and the PS3 both running the Grid demo through HDMI. Both looked the same switching back and forth. The 55 inch in the living room is only 480P.

Not sure on MGS4 or Killzone 2. I will look for the demos before I buy.

Yup, its at the top of the BR players. Its been a couple of months, but the last time I checked, it was the only BR player that was 2.0 compliant.

I will send you an invite later when I get home.

GT5 should be good. GT5 Prologue is a very very watered down hold over till the real thing comes out IMO. It is still very "first gen" looking.

As far as the head set, any blue-tooth headset will work, but I use this one.
http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-510-Bluetooth-Multipoint-Technology/dp/B0009B0IX4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1212778835&sr=8-1
(Might have to click on it a few times as Amazon is having issues)

I got that one because it can mate to two devices, so I use it for my phone and my PS3.

Exige
06-06-2008, 08:38 PM
haha, your welcome Keith.. :) Atleast you got $100 off, actually more than that with the Rewardzone points.

Firme
06-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Invite sent.

Oh Keith, one thing I had to make sure was that I was using a proper HDMI 1.3a http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10243&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3661&seq=1&format=2 cable. When I switched from my borrowed 1.2 cable to the 1.3a, the PS3 prompted me that 1080p was detected. Also, make sure you have all your display 1080p setting setup properly under system setting.

Looking at GT5 prologue, while you can tell they have a lot of room to improve on it, the graphics are still pretty dang good on my 1080p plasma.

Evilcartman
06-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Invite sent.

Oh Keith, one thing I had to make sure was that I was using a proper HDMI 1.3a http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10243&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3661&seq=1&format=2 cable. When I switched from my borrowed 1.2 cable to the 1.3a, the PS3 prompted me that 1080p was detected. Also, make sure you have all your display 1080p setting setup properly under system setting.

Looking at GT5 prologue, while you can tell they have a lot of room to improve on it, the graphics are still pretty dang good on my 1080p plasma.

The 1.3 only adds additional audio channels is my understanding and I used the same type of cable on the 360 as the PS3. The picture is excellent, just not better than the 360. The Sony TV I have tells me the res when I switch inputs and it is 1080P. When I set up the console I set it to 1080P in the setup wizard.

Yes, GT5 looks very good, but I'm talking overall game experience. No damage, odd handling, limited car modifications, no tuning, less than 100 cars (Forza 2 has over 300), limited tracks, and overall it is a very short game. Hopefully the full game will be much better.

kencobra
06-06-2008, 11:50 PM
I will also be buying a PS3 in the near future for our new media room in our house that is being built. I am not a gamer but want it for its BR capabilities. The only real downfall I know of is that the audio puts out only 5.1 not 7.1 but then again I am not an audiophile either :D

red04svtcobra
06-07-2008, 12:47 AM
If you all end up getting COD4 hit me up online for some online team deathmatches. I am playing with a bunch of guys from svtperformance and our clan name is SVT. My screen name is red04svtcobra. our clan has about 30 active players so come join on some fun.:D

Exige
06-07-2008, 01:18 AM
The 1.3 only adds additional audio channels is my understanding and I used the same type of cable on the 360 as the PS3. The picture is excellent, just not better than the 360. The Sony TV I have tells me the res when I switch inputs and it is 1080P. When I set up the console I set it to 1080P in the setup wizard.

Yes, GT5 looks very good, but I'm talking overall game experience. No damage, odd handling, limited car modifications, no tuning, less than 100 cars (Forza 2 has over 300), limited tracks, and overall it is a very short game. Hopefully the full game will be much better.You can modify cars in GT5 you just have to get to a higher level. The full version of the game will have more tracks, more cars, and probably a bit better graphics (which are already quite good).

Bartman01
06-07-2008, 04:33 AM
The picture is excellent, just not better than the 360.

One thing to keep in mind on the quality:
Neither console renders games at 1080p. While one or both might be capable of it in theory, in practical application developers sacrifice resolution for image quality and frame rate. In many cases (Halo 3 on 360/GTA IV on PS3 as examples) the games are rendered at LOWER than 720p. Developers figured out that the overall picture looks better with more eye candy and higher frame rate but rendered at a low resolution (and then scaled up).

Firme
06-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Yes, GT5 looks very good, but I'm talking overall game experience. No damage, odd handling, limited car modifications, no tuning, less than 100 cars (Forza 2 has over 300), limited tracks, and overall it is a very short game. Hopefully the full game will be much better.

I should be more specific. What about BR movies? Does your TV show 1080p on those? Mine did not do 1080p on movies with non 1.3a cable. My understanding is that even though cable is cable, and HDMI is digital, thus just sending 1's and 0's vs old component and lower cable which actually was analogue and susceptible to signal degradation depending on cable quality, there is a tag on the cable that lets the device know its complaint to 1.3a, and BR player will not display 1080p unless 1.3a is present for content protection purposes. (What a run-on sentence).

If you all end up getting COD4 hit me up online for some online team deathmatches. I am playing with a bunch of guys from svtperformance and our clan name is SVT. My screen name is red04svtcobra. our clan has about 30 active players so come join on some fun.:D

I am addicted to COD4 online for PS3. I will add you to friends and change my tag to SVT and look for you the next time I am on.

Bartman01
06-07-2008, 04:31 PM
My understanding is that even though cable is cable, and HDMI is digital, thus just sending 1's and 0's vs old component and lower cable which actually was analogue and susceptible to signal degradation depending on cable quality, there is a tag on the cable that lets the device know its complaint to 1.3a, and BR player will not display 1080p unless 1.3a is present for content protection purposes. (What a run-on sentence).

I thought the issue with 1.3 was bandwidth not additional content protection (HDMI 1.3 has twice the bandwidth of 1.2) since 1.3 added support for a larger color space, 1080p support, automatic audio/video sync, etc. The 1.2 spec cables were designed to carry only half the amount of data needed for 1.3.

red04svtcobra
06-07-2008, 04:47 PM
I am addicted to COD4 online for PS3. I will add you to friends and change my tag to SVT and look for you the next time I am on. It is the most addicting game out there!! I will send you a message tonight to add me and if I see you on or vice versa hit me up. :thumbsup:

Firme
06-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I thought the issue with 1.3 was bandwidth not additional content protection (HDMI 1.3 has twice the bandwidth of 1.2) since 1.3 added support for a larger color space, 1080p support, automatic audio/video sync, etc. The 1.2 spec cables were designed to carry only half the amount of data needed for 1.3.

That is a spec of 1.3 yes, HDMI 1.3a went up to 340Mhz which can handle the 10Gbps(technically, I think some older version could push 1080p, but they were pretty much pegged at that point), it also did deep color, and some audio stuff, but what I was referring to is that it seemed to check for the HDCP version 1.3 on the HDMI1.3a which would bring it up to the latest requirement for content protection. Meaning, any cable detected below 1.3 is no longer compliant and thus 1080p is not allowed to display through it for BR.

kencobra
06-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Is there any advantage of an 80gb unit over a 40gb unit other than for gaming ? Do more gb's help with a better picture from a dvd or sound quality or just better for gaming purposes ?

Firme
06-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Is there any advantage of an 80gb unit over a 40gb unit other than for gaming ? Do more gb's help with a better picture from a dvd or sound quality or just better for gaming purposes ?

Mainly gaming purposes. The difference between the 40Gb and 80Gb, besides for the obvious space difference, is that the 40Gb does not have a built in flash card reader (you can still hook up an external USB flash card reader), no SACD support, and cannot play PS2 games. With the hard drive, you can do things like download games, store game data, save game content, save pictures etc... But, the PS3 takes a standard laptop hard drive, and you can easily swap out the 40Gb or 80Gb hard drive with a huge laptop hard drive. This is completely supported, and the PS3 manual even has the instructions on how to do it.

kencobra
06-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks Edmond :thumbsup:

Evilcartman
06-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Does anyone have Haze? I played the demo last night and I liked it.

Firme
06-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Does anyone have Haze? I played the demo last night and I liked it.

Saw some stuff for that and it looked kinda interesting. I will try to check out the Demo.

Evilcartman
06-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Saw some stuff for that and it looked kinda interesting. I will try to check out the Demo.

Reviews for the full game are not looking good.

I'm going to go pick up MGS4 tonight if I can find it.

Evilcartman
06-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Reviews for the full game are not looking good.

I'm going to go pick up MGS4 tonight if I can find it.

Maybe I won't buy it. :eek:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/13/nega-review-metal-gear-solid-4/

Firme
06-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Maybe I won't buy it. :eek:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/13/nega-review-metal-gear-solid-4/

:dunno: it got a 10 out of 10 on ign (Haze got a 4.5 out of 10)
http://ps3.ign.com/index/reviews.html

Bartman01
06-13-2008, 05:50 PM
That MGS4 review is a special review where the take out only the negative items from otherwise positive reviews and combine them to highlight the issues with the game in question.

Here is an interesting product to allow IR remote use - they are sold out right now.
http://www.ps3toothfairy.com/