PDA

View Full Version : Can't get one Rear LCA back on.

Bartman01
06-15-2008, 02:51 AM
Updated with pics in new post below:
Mocking up the delrin bushings on the lower control arms. The drivers side went in fine, the passengers side refuses to cooperate. I can either get the the bolt through the rear bushing, or the front bushing but not both at the same time. The issue really appears to be with the front bushing mount on the IRS subframe. With everything lined up as best as I can get it, the front bushing does not line up straight with the holes - and there is no way that I can see to bend the tabs to make it happen. Either the mounting tab holes don't line up 100%, or the LCA arm is very slightly bent/twisted, and with the old rubber bushings there was enough 'give' to get the LCA mounted. The front bolt ALMOST goes through, the threads end up biting in to the metal around the hole.

I figure I have three options.
1) Take the stuff to a shop and have them see what they can do with it.
2) Take a sander/grinder/rasp to the hole the bolt goes through and 'elongate' it by between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch taller than it opens up now so that the threads clear (and from what I can see I am betting that this or #3 is what a shop would end up doing anyway). This will be a little tricky since the inside hole is hard to get to with the proper tool - might have to jury rig a longer shaft for a drill mounted sander/grinder.
3) Leave the holes as is and force the bolt through by turning it with a ratchet and letting the threads on the bolt bite in to the hole. The danger here is that the threads could get destroyed in the process.

Any thoughts/suggestions? This issue has to get resolved to move forward.

And while I am on the subject of bushings - some people recommend installing grease fittings to make it easy to re-lubricate the delrin bushings down the road. Two issues I see with doing that:
1) The UCA's are pretty darn thin to begin with - not sure if i am comfortable drilling a hole through them.
2) The position for the rear LCA fitting is less than ideal. The only good place to put is directly on the bottom of the LCA. From what I can see, this is what the whole assembly sits on when removed from the car and sitting on the ground - not sure if I am comfortable with that either.
I know I can always add them later, but if I would regret not having them then now would be the best time to do them.

03 cobra toy
06-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Mocking up the delrin bushings on the lower control arms. The drivers side went in fine, the passengers side refuses to cooperate. I can either get the the bolt through the rear bushing, or the front bushing but not both at the same time. The issue really appears to be with the front bushing mount on the IRS subframe. With everything lined up as best as I can get it, the front bushing does not line up straight with the holes - and there is no way that I can see to bend the tabs to make it happen. Either the mounting tab holes don't line up 100%, or the LCA arm is very slightly bent/twisted, and with the old rubber bushings there was enough 'give' to get the LCA mounted. The front bolt ALMOST goes through, the threads end up biting in to the metal around the hole.

I figure I have three options.

3) Leave the holes as is and force the bolt through by turning it with a ratchet and letting the threads on the bolt bite in to the hole. The danger here is that the threads could get destroyed in the process.

The bolt should be fine... It's harder steel

Any thoughts/suggestions? This issue has to get resolved to move forward.

And while I am on the subject of bushings - some people recommend installing grease fittings to make it easy to re-lubricate the delrin bushings down the road. Two issues I see with doing that:
1) The UCA's are pretty darn thin to begin with - not sure if i am comfortable drilling a hole through them.
2) The position for the rear LCA fitting is less than ideal. The only good place to put is directly on the bottom of the LCA. From what I can see, this is what the whole assembly sits on when removed from the car and sitting on the ground - not sure if I am comfortable with that either.
I know I can always add them later, but if I would regret not having them then now would be the best time to do them.

Does not work. The grease will not flow around the bushing

:thumbsup:

Bartman01
06-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks.

Bartman01
06-15-2008, 06:54 PM
OK - tried the 'force the bolt' method. Not only is the bolt biting in to the hole, the alignment is off enough that it is biting in to the last 1/2 inch of the bushing's inner aluminum sleeve also. Once the control arm is bolted up, it does not move freely - so it appears that enough pressure is being put on the sleeve by the bolt to deform it slightly causing the bushing to bind. Any thoughts?

cfradam
06-16-2008, 10:02 PM
could you post any pics of the bushing in the arm and one of trying to put it in place.

Bartman01
06-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Out of town right now, but I can do that when I get back.

With the rear bushing bolted in place, the front bushing lines up with the hole to the front but not to the hole on the rear mounting flange - it sits too low.

With the front bushing bolted in place, the rear bushing sits about 1/2 inch or so higher than the holes in the rear mounts.

99% sure the rear mounts are parallel and the holes line up. If I line the front mounting points so that they parallel and the holes line up then the control arm doesn't fit in both the front and rear mounts at the same time - the front and rear mounts are too close together.

Bartman01
06-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Wish I could change the main thread title as I update. Here are the pics of what I am seeing:

With the front bushing in place the rear bushing sits too high to mount. With moderate force applied I can only get it to move a MM or so from these pics:

Front Bushing in place:
http://www.pfeffernet.com/temp/_DSC2725.jpg

Rear Bushing fitment:
http://www.pfeffernet.com/temp/_DSC2726.jpg
http://www.pfeffernet.com/temp/_DSC2728.jpg

Rear Bushing in place:
http://www.pfeffernet.com/temp/_DSC2729.jpg

Front side of front bushing works:
http://www.pfeffernet.com/temp/_DSC2730.jpg

Rear side of front bushing sits about 1/8 inch higher than the hole There is some play with the fitment here but no position lines it up properly:
http://www.pfeffernet.com/temp/_DSC2731.jpg
http://www.pfeffernet.com/temp/IMG_0100.jpg

I lined up the right and left control arms so that the bushing mount points were touching and they looked pretty much dead on to each other, so I am thinking the issue is not a bent arm but with the subframe mounting points.

cfradam
06-22-2008, 12:06 AM
if you removed your arms with the old bushings and there was no binding or alignment issues then the new bushings might be drilled off center slightly.

Bartman01
06-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Didn't think about the possibility that the bushing were the issue or I would have swapped sides with them to test, but just by eyeballing the hole alignments I think the issue was just that the bushings were too exact for the assembly line rubber tolerances. The holes would have been more than close enough with just a slight give in a stock rubber bushings. Plus the bushings were removed and replaced several times while getting the shimming down and it lined up 'off' the exact same way every time. No worries though, Jimmy stopped by and we figured out a way to put them on that minimized the issue. With them mounted and torqued down to close to full final torque amounts (currently between 174-184 of the needed 184) both sides move with pretty much the same freedom of motion. Think I am going to wait for two sets of hands to fully torque them all down to 184 exactly.

cfradam
06-22-2008, 03:22 PM
glad you got it worked out...nothing like trying to make something better and having problems