PDA

View Full Version : '96 ticking at idle

cbrown9064
06-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Hi

Sorry for the vague "motor sound" question, but here goes. After winter storage this year, it seems the ole '96 makes a lot of "sewing machine" or "ticking" noises at idle. More than I remember. If it had pushrods, I would equate it to a noisy lifter. It definitely sounds like valvetrain noise.

Not sure if this is normal and I just dont remember it or not. Engine seems to run fine other than this.

70k on the clock.

Thanks for any advice.

Oh, by the way, I put a Magnaflow Cat back on this spring. Don't know about any extra power, but sure sounds good!

Chris

bolt-on
06-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Ford modular V8's do have a "lifter". It is actually called a valve lash adjuster. It's function is to maintain zero lash between the rocker arm roller and the bottom of the camshaft. With 70k and being stored during the winter months it is possible to have sticking valve lash adusters. They are not to difficult to change, but require a special offset valve spring compressor tool (Ford part #T93P-6565-A).

cbrown9064
06-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Do you think this if it is the zero-lash it should be replaced? I suppose I guy should do all 32 right away.

Thoughts?
Chris