PDA

View Full Version : 97 Cobra issues

kng9nothing
06-22-2008, 07:04 PM
I recently bought my first Cobra, and it was running great for the first week or so that I had it. It is a 97 with 77,000 miles on it, and I changed the air filter over to a K&N. After a few days of running the K&N filter, I noticed a decrease in power, hesitation/stuttering in acceleration, and very low idle. I read the other threads addressing this issue, and I have cleaned the MAF, throttle body, Idle control valve, egr valve, and replaced the pcv. After cleaning each part, I noticed that it would get better for about 25-30 miles, then go back to sputtering and idling roughly. Today, I finally had the time to change the spark plugs. (It was throwing a code P1519 initially, which stopped after cleaning everything I mentioned before. Then it started throwing the P0301 code.) After doing all of this, the car seems to be running much better, however it is showing a pending P0301. I noticed something odd when I was changing the spark plugs. The plugs in the #1 and #2 cylinder had an oil type liquid on them. I'm guessing that would be my problem, but I'm really not sure where to go from there. Any ideas would be extremely appreciated!

~Mike

Oh, and as far as I know, the car is stock except for the flowmaster exhaust.

SuperG
06-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Well that sucks...right after buying the thing!!

Here's an explanation of the code you are still seeing:

P0301 through P0310 - Misfire Detection Monitor The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor compression, or any other cause. Ignition system
Fuel injectors
Running out of fuel
EVAP canister purge valve
Fuel pressure
Evaporative emission system
Base engine
The MIL will blink once per second when a misfire is detected severe enough to cause catalyst damage. If the MIL is on steady state, due to a misfire, this will indicate the threshold for emissions was exceeded and cause the vehicle to fail an inspection and maintenance tailpipe test.

And here's the link that came from:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233211&highlight=P0193

I am sure someone will chime in with some steps you should take next...the only thing I can think of doing is performing a compression check, since it sounds like you are leaking oil a bit...

kng9nothing
06-22-2008, 08:28 PM
thank you. I noticed an oil like substance on the spark plugs for the 1 and 2 cylinders. I'm trying to figure out where it could possibly be coming from...

I just took it by the dealership, and they want to charge me about 1200 to replace the IMRC actuator, and 217 to replace the spark plugs that I installed b/c they are bosch instead of Motorcraft. Oh, and they charged me 94 to tell me what I already knew about the codes.

I'm definitely gonna try to remove the intake manifold and clean the IMRC and possibly replace the actuator myself before I give them that kind of money. But none of their assistance could tell me anything about the oil in the spark plug. Is it possible that a leak in the intake gasket could be sucking the oil up into the spark plugs?

kng9nothing
06-30-2008, 06:05 PM
so, I spent Saturday cleaning the IMRC runners, and replaced the valve cover gaskets as well as the spark plug grommets underneath the valve cover. The acceleration issue has gone away, and things seem to be getting back to normal:D . It did however throw the P0301 code again while I was idling. The idle is nowhere near as erratic as it was before cleaning everything and putting new gaskets in, but it did lope that one time (which is when the check engine light came back on). Does anyone have suggestions as to where to go next?:(

blk04cobra1
07-01-2008, 09:42 AM
maybe try some new plug wires or coil packs :thumbsup:

kng9nothing
07-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I am in the process of ordering wires, any suggestions on which ones to get? So many options and very little info on them.

blk04cobra1
07-01-2008, 04:33 PM
I am in the process of ordering wires, any suggestions on which ones to get? So many options and very little info on them.
we had good success with the MSD 8.5mm...

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/32219/10002/-1

kng9nothing
07-01-2008, 04:39 PM
thank you, they are on the way! Hopefully this cures the problem...I'll be sure to let ya know!

kng9nothing
07-07-2008, 02:25 PM
thank you so much! she is running like she should now! :bounce:

blk04cobra1
07-08-2008, 09:33 AM
thank you so much! she is running like she should now! :bounce:
congrats...now go enjoy it :thumbsup:

909COBRA
07-13-2008, 06:03 PM
I Had A Misfire Too. Checked My Plugs, Wires,coil Packs, Maf ,and Iac.stiil Had The Misfire In # 7 , Well I Looked In The Manual On How To Test My Injectors With And Ohm Meter. Sure Enough My Injector Was Dead And A Couple Of Others Were Dying. I Replaced Them And No More Problems. Hope This Helps...

kng9nothing
07-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I Had A Misfire Too. Checked My Plugs, Wires,coil Packs, Maf ,and Iac.stiil Had The Misfire In # 7 , Well I Looked In The Manual On How To Test My Injectors With And Ohm Meter. Sure Enough My Injector Was Dead And A Couple Of Others Were Dying. I Replaced Them And No More Problems. Hope This Helps...

what mileage do you have on yours? I am curious b/c although my 97 is running fine (i.e. no codes), it has 80K on it and I just wondering what time frame I should start looking for the injectors to go...

ProfChaos
07-15-2008, 12:10 AM
what mileage do you have on yours? I am curious b/c although my 97 is running fine (i.e. no codes), it has 80K on it and I just wondering what time frame I should start looking for the injectors to go...

The original engine in my '96 Cobra, before it horked-up a rod bearing, had injectors that were working fine at 137,000 miles. I've always run nothing but high-quality 93-octane gasoline (usually either BP or Sunoco), as did the previous owner, my friend Dave. It is my understanding that running high-quality gasoline can extend injector-life, so I've always been "religious" about that particualr issue.

cheers, :cheers:
--Professor Chaos

kng9nothing
07-23-2008, 06:04 PM
so, P1516 is back...after cleaning the plates and replacing the gaskets (for good measure). I'm really not noticing a lag at 3500+ rpms...is it worth pulling the intake again to clean, or should I go ahead and replace the imrcs? or...leave well enough alone until I can feel a lag when the plates are supposed to open? :mad: :mad: