PDA

View Full Version : The Wii

John Chingasos
07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I just bought a wii for my son for his birthday

Do I need to buy a warranty for it? Are there alot of problems with it?

Does anyone have one and is it alot of fun?

Thanks everybody

Twice Bitten
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Get rid of it before you become addicted to it! :eek: I could take it off your hands for you! :D

Bartman01
07-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Haven't heard of any issues with it. It is not pushing the edge of the envelope like PS3/360 so there is much less to worry about with it.

I ALMOST NEVER buy the warranty on stuff like this. Odds are that it will work beyond the lifespan of any warranty or that by the time it breaks there is something better out anyway.

SuperG
07-22-2008, 10:05 PM
How much is the warranty? If it's not much...

John Chingasos
07-23-2008, 05:12 AM
The warranty is $40 dollars for 2 years

SuperG
07-23-2008, 09:15 AM
40 bucks for 2 years and the Wii and alll it's stuff is what...$350+

To me that's pretty cheap insurance...on the other hand, I have never needed to repair any of my electronics except one and that's my camcorder which seems to have a 2 year life.

Bartman01
07-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Wii = $249 - so $40 is more like 16% of the total cost.
Odds of anything happening to the wii that the warranty actually covers (and after the factory warranty expires) is very low. I haven't heard of any real issues with the Wii. Also take a close look at the warranty - many of them are 'one shot' deals. You pay for a '2 year' warranty but if the unit dies after 1 year then you have to buy a NEW 2 year warranty to cover the replacement unit.

Companies sell (and really push) these aftermarket warranties because they are extremely high profit margin areas for them (high cost, low payout). Its your money, but I would pass.

Mrs TwiceBitten
07-25-2008, 06:05 PM
We bought a WiiPlay remote+disc deal through Amazon.com which was an open box item, disc wouldn't play, and Nintendo replaced at no charge despite having purchased through Amazon.com, even paid for shipping to and from. I thought that was super. They (Nintendo) seem to be good about repairs based on my experience with that, and the Gameboys/DS's we have had repaired in the past.

Must have games: Mario Kart, Boom Blox, Wii Sports (should have come with your Wii), and WiiPlay is fun. 3D pinball is a trip, and the boys like Pokemon.

Mephisto
07-25-2008, 06:10 PM
We have no problem with our Wii.
Kids love it.

More Games: lego star wars, kids and wife both like Wii fit.