PDA

View Full Version : Battery Disconection

svtvnm
07-24-2008, 05:18 AM
I was just wondering seeing my car is not a daily driver, I usually disconnect the battery when I park it in my garage. Is this likely to cause any problems or is it safe to do so.? It can sit for up to a month between drives.

Larry95
07-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I have the same problem with my '03 and red '95. Sometimes it's two or three months between times they get cranked. I'm looking into this http://batterytender.com/ with the quick disconnects. With the new smart chip, it should work great.

ausie
07-30-2008, 07:27 AM
I think the battery tender would be a good idea. That way the security system stays intact and the low current drain from the ECU and other components that draw energy when the key is off will not drain the battery. Everytime you disconnect the battery, you will loose the EPROM memory used by the ECU for data storage of load tables and A/F corrections. So every time you reconnect it, the ECU will have to relearn everything which will cause the A/F to run rich and then lean out a few miles. The ECU will do this a couple of times so it can reload the load tables. Using a battery tender will prevent the loss of data.

dewone
08-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Battery Tenders are great I use one on the bike and switch it perodiclly to the lawn mower in winters. Really helps I used to have to replace the bike battery every couple years. Now it stay's good, well scince I got the thing I haven't had too replace it at all going on 4 years so yes good idea. Let alone all else that has been said.